Quantcast

Google TV can't locate cable channels

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by ktoffelmire, Aug 18, 2011.

1. ktoffelmire

ktoffelmire New Member

Hi everyone!

I've searched and searched and have not found a solution to this relatively simple problem.

I just received my tv yesterday, purchased a Sony - Google TV 24-inch NSX24GT1 for my bedroom.

I have comcast cable in Chicago, and as I mentioned it's in my bedroom, I don't watch cable enough in there that I didn't bother purchasing the HD receiver through comcast, so I just have the freebie standard-def tiny receiver box with ONLY coaxial connections.

I connected the receiver to my sony tv via the coaxial connector and during setup it could only locate 2 analog channels, no digital. Now I can change my cabel channels with my comcast remote, but I'd love to change them with the sony remote and in a perfect world utilize the guide feature (if possible), search, etc. When I try changing the channel with my sony remote I just get static, so it changes the channel on the TV, not the cable box. Basically I'm wondering if, at the VERY LEAST, there is any way to program the Sony remote to change the cable channels on my receiver, rather than on the tv.

Now during inital setup, I did not have the IR blasters connected, So i'm curious if that could be the problem.

Any help is appreciated, as I said I'm a noob here, any more information you folks need I'd be more than happy to provide.

Thanks again in advance.

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The Sony Internet TV has a built-in ATSC/Clear QAM tuner. It is not necessary to use an external tuner if you're not receiving encrypted QAM channels. By connecting that other box in-between the Sony TV and your cable service, you're in fact using that the freebie box as the primary tuner. It should be broadcasting its services through a single channel, typically 3 or 4. This is why you're forced to use its remote control to change the channels. You could plug the cable provider's coax line directly into the Sony TV to watch and change the channels using its internal tuner.

• Like Like x 2
  3. ktoffelmire

ktoffelmire New Member

Awesome! I didn't even think of that! I'll give it a try and let you know! Thanks a lot!!!:)

• Like Like x 2
  4. ktoffelmire

ktoffelmire New Member

Hmmmm that didn't appear to work, now I get nothing but static, no channels, no anything.

5. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Did you make sure to setup the Cable/Antenna to Cable, then go through the process of Auto Program?

6. ktoffelmire

ktoffelmire New Member

I did, and it worked....kind of. I now only seem to get a mix of local channels, not the channels I originally got with the comcast tunner hooked up. I guess I'll try hooking up the comcast tunner again, but this time attach the IR booster to the top of it, run the auto program, and see if that happens to do anything.

At this point I'd rather have ALL my channels and use a separate remote rather than a quarter of the channels and use my google tv remote.

Do you perhaps have any other suggestions? Again, thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.

7. red99ryder

red99ryder New Member

I am having the same problems , Comcast gave us the Digital transport adaptors which some channels wont be broadcast in the clear . When i tried to use the set top box it did not give me the option of selecting coax input . It expects you to have hdmi or another input . For now i just unhooked the DTA , but would be interested in a solution for this as well .
    Thanks

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

The missing QAM channels are probably encrypted, which is why they appear with the Comcast Tuner and not directly from the Sony's internal Clear QAM tuner. Unfortunately, the internal tuner does not have the option to control an external box through IR. At this point, you're left with the choice of changing the channels with the original remote, or to contact Comcast for an exchange of the Coax-to-Coax tuner with their Coax-to-HDMI tuner.

One difference between the Sony Internet Blu-Ray Player or Logitech Revue and the Sony Internet TV's are the additional inputs. The Sony Internet Blu-Ray Player and the Logitech Revue have only the one HDMI and Optical Audio inputs. The Sony Internet TVs have four HDMI, 1 set of component, 1 Coax, 1 optical audio, 1 set of stereo analog audio connectors. The Coax is connected internally to an Over the Air ATSC and Clear QAM tuner.

Since you have a Revue or the Internet Blu-Ray player, you would need an external Coax-to-HDMI tuner like the Channel Master CM-7001 Antenna and Cable Tuner (CM7001), Channel Master CM-7000PAL Antenna Compatible DVR (CM7000PAL), the External ATSC/QAM TVBox HDMI Edition (SA295-Q DE), or contact your cable company for their supported tuner.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2011
  9. red99ryder

red99ryder New Member

I have the Sony Google TV ,, the problem is the Digital Transport adaptor that Comcast provided only has coax out put . when i tried to set up for a set top box it wont let me select coax input

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Ahh, okay. My apologies for misunderstanding your situation. In that case, you'll have the same option as Ktoffelmire, which is to change the channels with the original remote or contact Comcast to requisition the Coax-to-HDMI version of the tuner.