Quantcast

Google TV as an Internet only device

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by tp76, Jul 21, 2011.

1. tp76

tp76 New Member

Just want to hear some feedback from others on your experience with Google TV as an internet only device (we don't have Netflix) if purchased this will be a bedroom TV used for watching old NCIS and other shows found online - I have a Xoom which I hook up to my living room television every now and then with varied results and my hopes is that the GTV experience will bring a lot more to the table with more seamless integration

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The major tv networks and Hulu are currently blocking Google TV from viewing full length shows. However there are workarounds to get network content - and in addition there are interesting alternatives to Hulu and the major Networks. Have you looked at the "Project Free TV" and "Free Major American TV Channels That Work With Google TV" threads in the 'general' section of this forum? You can probably get some ideas for content that interests you from those threads.....

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  3. tp76

tp76 New Member

Thanks for the direction, seems I have a lot more reading to do :D

4. MutantCheese

MutantCheese New Member

Check the "Project Free TV" thread on this site. (I can't post links here yet)

5. daddypants

daddypants New Member

i use mine for internet only tvs. i do have netflix, but you don't really need it.

if you have a good internet connection you'll have plenty of content to watch. redux can be engulfing, and once you get the hang of it you can find the most random entertaining stuff to watch on there; its like surfing through internet channels. and vevo is great to put on when you get up in the morning or when you are just hanging out, i made an account at vevo.com and made a bunch of playlists so i can program that channel as i like it. there's some cool channels in the spotlight category for the kids, plus kideos.com, my 5 year old LOVES his google tv, though he mostly uses it to watch his movies and shows off the network or the external hard drive. i enjoy my google tv as an internet only experience over a tv with with cable any day. i have an HTPC in the living room that can do alot more stuff, but i wouldn't replace my google tvs in the bedrooms, they are perfect for what they do, which is seamlessly integrate my television with the internet and my other networked machines in an easy way that even my kids can master.

• Like Like x 2
  6. tp76

tp76 New Member

^ thanks for the great answer :)