Quantcast

Google TV app APK's

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by stacyk819, May 21, 2013.

1. stacyk819

stacyk819 New Member

Hi,
    I recently got an OUYA which is really cool and have loaded a bunch of apps on it which mostly work fine but most aren't optimized to use with a remote. The apps that work best are ones that are from google tv but unfortunately since I do not have a google tv, I cannot download the apps myself. I was hoping that someone here would be able to upload as many google tv apps as possible to test on the ouya. So far I have gotten (old versions of) open launcher and youtube to work after I spent hours searching google for them. Other apps I am interested in are Hulu plus, netflix, hbo go, amazon instant in addition the the latest versions of the previously mentioned apps and anything else that you can thing of. I'm sure there are many other OUYA owners that would love to have these apps and would appreciate it very much if some one could upload them. Also I will test an uploaded apps and let you know of compatibility.

Thank you very much.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

There is no Hulu-Plus app for GTV. And there is no real HBO GO app either (the GTV devices just have a dedicated link to the HBO GO web site). The GTV Amazon app uses special DRM so that likely won't work on OUYA either.

3. stacyk819

stacyk819 New Member

Thanks for the reply. I was actually able to get a copy of the amazon apk but it wouldn't install. I am going to try to install as a system app after I root but it probably wont work. Even if there arent a lot of apps, I would still like to try out the ones that do exist. What are the best apps for google tv?

4. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

I sent you a PM with some information that might help you.

Just a side note regarding your Ouya, I'm really interested in purchasing but I've seen some mixed reviews about it. Can you maybe start a new thread with your own personal review of the Ouya? Have you used XBMC on Ouya, if so how well does it work on Ouya?

5. stacyk819

stacyk819 New Member

The OUYA works really well though I do not use the ouya launcher and havent played any games. I have loaded modified versions of most of the media apps hulu plus, twc tv and some others in adition to unmodified netflix and hbo go. they all work but are optimised for touch screen so i need to use a mouse or the ouya controller to control them.

BY default, I have it open nova launcher at boot which acts as sort of my desktop and I use open launcher as the main laucher which works well and come up over media apps for easy app switching.

xbmc work great, and works out of the box with the ouya controller but I have been using a remote with a device called Flirc. in order to get this working, I needed to change the keymap so that you could controll android functions with a keyboard/ remote. but its about 10x faster that atv 2 and i havent noticed any lag at all, it feels like im using it on my computer.

Overall, I think it is a really good device, especially for 100$ but their software is kind of crappy (ouya launcher etc) you cannot load google play on it as of yet so its kind of a pain to get some apps but im sure there will eeventually be a workaround. Given how much I've done with it in 2 days, im sure that it has a lot of potential,

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting that the OUYA doesn't support Google Play yet. Can a web browser be sideloaded onto OUYA? And if so, how well does it work?

By the way I recall reading that "Redux" is one of the most popular GTV apps (based on number of downloads). It's a non-system app (doesn't come preinstalled). There is also a web version of Redux in the GTV Spotlight section.

Last edited: May 22, 2013
  7. stacyk819

stacyk819 New Member

Yeah chrome works really well and it comes with the stock android browser installed so you can install apps without using adb but you need adb to install superuser busybox etc. it is prerooted but you can only use su through adb untill you install superuser

• Like Like x 2
  8. dwanthny

dwanthny New Member

I used the built in browser and downloaded the Amazon Store APK from Amazon and it installed and works fine. I then grabbed Dropbox from the Amazon store and have used Dropbox to sideload everything else I've tried.