Quantcast

Google TV, Android updates, Time Warner, HBO & the future of Internet Television

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Montrose, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Montrose

Montrose New Member

In July I purchased a new LG television with the Google TV platform installed. This was a new set, just introduced .. but now it seems that Google TV is heading for the scrap pile to be replaced with Android. Was this a foolish purchase?

In attempting to watch HBOGO last night, I discovered that it won't play on the Google TV format, despite being a featured 'premium app' on the menu screen. Yet it works perfectly on my laptop. What's the point of making the service inoperable on one household device when it's easily accessible on another? Is Chromecast the best workaround solution for this? And in what ways are Chromecast and the upcoming Android system compatible and/or complementary? Will HBOGO work with new update from Google to Android TV?

Where will all of this settle? How much longer can the cable giants hang on with the walls apparently crumbling around them? It all feels like a futile race to plug leaking holes while a new, cheap alternative for streaming becomes available every day.

2. drhill

drhill Member

Google TV is android. Its just an old closed branch.

3. guest

guest Active Member

Are you saying the fork in the road leads to a dead end?

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

You'll be getting an upgrade to the Jelly Bean version of Android, reportedly on Monday, or at least the roll out for LG TVs is supposed to start on Monday.

Google is just changing the brand name of "GoogeTV" to "AndriodTV" because, among other reasons, with the Jelly Bean update the system will be running on the Android platform, and not an Android-modified GoogleTV platform.

Among the things you'll get:
    Upgrade to the latest Chrome version of "Chrome For Android" with future auto-updates; NDK; DRM; Project Butter; Chromecast and it's apps (including Hulu Plus. And probably an HBO GO app, eventually; although no announcement on this to my knowledge) embedded in the system; full-range of Play Store Android apps; future system API version updates tied to Android tablet/phone update time frames; HTML5 (no Flash, but we''ll see what apps development will bring).

According to Google on the Android developers' forum, the only significant difference with running tablet/phone apps and running them on "AndroidTV," will be that the manifest of the apps to run on "AndroidTV" should state that these apps don't need "touch screen" (as they'll be controlled by D-Pad).

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  5. Travel

Travel Active Member

The GoogleTV HBO GO was never an app, but rather a "shortcut" to the HBO GO website. HBO GO tweaked something
    on their website, and HBO GO stopped working on GoogeTV. Some think they updated their Flash (to Flash 11) beyond GoogleTVs capability (Flash 10).
    Some say the HBO GO website works on some first generation boxes and therefore it's not the Flash-version that's causing the problem.

In any case, the HBO GO site will probably work on GoogleTV devices with the Jelly Bean update, if it works, or will eventually work with HTML5. Otherwise, a Chromecast, etc., HBO GO app will solve the problem.

6. Montrose

Montrose New Member

Thanks for the information .. specifically on HBOGO and the upcoming switch to Android. I purchased a chromecast toggle device for $35, thinking that it would complement my Google-Android TV. Was I wrong? Is this an unnecessary purchase if they're going to include it with the new upgrade?

7. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Yes.

Philip

8. galfert

galfert Active Member

I think it is wrong to call it a switch to Android. It is just a name change. Google TV always was Android. It was Android Gingerbread first and later upgraded to Android Honeycomb. It will now be upgraded to Android Jelly Bean, but only for 2nd generation devices.

Google TV was somewhat of a forked version of Android, but it was still Android. It had access to the same app market and it was compatible with SDK apps as long as the developer included the non-touch screen, landscape, and lower resolution support. And as long as other hardware requirements weren't needed (GPS, gyro, etc).

I know you all know this. I just wanted to state the obvious for sake of completeness, in case someone stumbles on this thread and isn't so informed. Otherwise bad information spreads.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

9. Montrose

Montrose New Member

So the $35 device is redundant in every respect with the Android update? What about for streaming tablets and laptops to the set wirelessly? Is this something I could have done without purchasing the toggle?

10. galfert

galfert Active Member

Seems that yes it is redundant. Android TV will have the same functionality (casting) as the Chromecast. I bought a Chomecast anyway to play with and have the functionality now rather than waiting for the GTV update. My Chromecast will just live in my travel bag. Never again will I be somewhere (relatives home or hotel) without some online content access.

It was just $35. You can't be too distraught about the purchase. Sell it for $20 to a friend or family member. They'll thank you and you will then only be out $15.

11. Travel

Travel Active Member

Where was the "bad information"? I don't see it.

I wrote:

"Google is just changing the brand name of "GoogeTV" to "AndriodTV" because, among other reasons, with the Jelly Bean update the system will be running on the Android platform, and not an Android-modified GoogleTV platform."

You don't think that GoogleTV switching to current Android HTML5 is a significant enough change to call it a "switch to Andriod"? GoogleTV could have stayed on Flash 10, but it's not, it's switching to be like Andriod devices. That's a significant enough change.

You're quibbling about nothing. By that way of reasoning, it would also be wrong t ever use the terms "GoogleTV platform."

12. galfert

galfert Active Member

I'm not quibbling. Quibbling would signify I was arguing or going on about a trivial matter. I don't think this subject is trivial, and after this post I'm done with this conversation.

I did not reply to any of the information provided.

My post was purely based on Montrose's choice of words in his following reply:

"specifically on HBOGO and the upcoming switch to Android"

Those choice of words signify an understanding that was not in accordance with the information provided. I do believe he comprehended but that it was a poor choice of words. But I just wanted to be sure for his sake and for the sake of any future readers of this thread. I wanted to be sure nobody would misunderstand. I just wanted to be sure nobody passing by here thinks that Google TV is switching to Android.

So no I don't think the impending change warrants calling it a switch to Android, because that would be a false statement. It is a switch to an unforked Android, it is a switch to a newer version of Android, but it is not a switch to Android (because that would be vague and inaccurate) . To switch to something would signify switching to something that it wasn't before. Google TV has always run the Android OS with some very minor modifications that would not prevent it from still being Android.

I'm not saying the switch was not significant. It could even have been more significant and it still would not make it a switch to Android. It has nothing to so with the amount of change. It has to do with what it was before. And what it was before was Android.

13. Montrose

Montrose New Member

all the information in response to my posting. I understand now that my Google TV has operated on the Android platform all along, and that the upcoming change is not a switch to something different, but an operating system upgrade.

The decision to purchase an LG Television that was also a 'Google TV' was probably a rash decision on my part. It would seem that the future is so wide open, confining oneself to any one dedicated 'smart tv' operating system isn't a good idea. The technology and advances in picture quality, weight, screen size, resolution and options (plasma, LCD, LED etc) combined with increasingly affordable prices makes me think that any television purchase should be done with the intent to use it as a monitor, with all operating platforms and methods of generating content being external devices.

That said, the quality of my current set is good, and I can't imagine that having the Google operating system will be too much of a handicap in the future if I decide to scrap it and try something else. As long as I have the choice of multiple inputs, and the added bonus of being able to search content on any platform, it should be OK. My hope in going with Google was that they are a large company and I'd benefit from whatever updates and changes that come down the pike. But I suppose I am limited to whatever hardware comes with the set, and it's a lot like buying a laptop that will be considered inferior in a few years.

14. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

I made the same mistake when I bought an LG TV for MediaLink (Plex). Didn't take long for that to be obsolete. The problem is that it is actually hard to find a good TV that doesn't have Smart features of some sort. The stripped down TV's are often lower end, though that does not seem to be the case for Sharp.

I would think twice before buying a TV for an OS feature. It's easier to have an external box.

In any case having GTV in the TV sounds great. Fortunately it wasn't available where I bought the LG.

Philip

15. Travel

Travel Active Member

When GoogleTV first came out, the Logitech Revue and SonyTV with GoogleTV were options. As it happened, I was not only in the market for an MSNTV-2 replacement for internet access but, coincidentally, needed an HDTV at that same time.

From experience with the MSNTV-2 set-top-box, I knew that I wanted a full size keyboard with any internet access.

Of course, at first the SonyTV looked like the perfect solution, but upon researching specs and capability, etc., I found that not only did the Sony TV have the world's clunkiest remote and no full size keyboard, but the Logitech keyboard wasn't compatible for buying separately for pairing. That was a deal breaker right there, and I bought the Revue. However, already having had a set-top-box before, I was already heavily leaning toward the Revue, anyway.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  16. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

It seems to me that GoogleTv should be integrated in to a DVR/STB. PrimeTime is nice alternative to finding out what's on TV, but I spend most of my time figuring out what I want to record and what I've recorded that I want to watch.

17. streamer

streamer New Member

Okay, this thread is 2 months old. Where is the "Jelly Bean" update? Will all Google TV installs be upgraded? The LG tv was mentioned above. I have Sony. Is there a new roll-out date for the install?

18. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

the fact that we have heard zero from the OEMS.. not even a CSR saying "we're working on it but don't have a date"... that suggest to me the update will be out 2-3 days after never :(

I've said multiple times.. just give me the JB update (and NDK compatibility) and they can EOL the platform and I'll still feel like I got my $$'s worth on GTV ... strand us where we are now and I'll have a hard time ever believing Google's commitment to this market segment.

19. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Yeah if nothing is announced about the update by the end of CES on January 10th - I'd say the chances for an update to Jellybean would be slim. There are 2 viewpoints about this.

First the optimistic viewpoint: GTV OEMS will announce new GTV hardware at CES to come preloaded with the Jellybean update. As such the OEMS would update current GTV devices to Jellybean "later" - so as not to eat into their new devices sales.

Now the negative viewpoint: Not much new GTV hardware announced at CES - and Google comes out with an "official explanation" that they really wanted to update the current GTV devices to Jellybean - but unfortunately (for some as yet to be disclosed reason) current GTV hardware cannot handle the new features in an optimal way. New GTV devices with Jellybean will come with the "new" Armada 1500 Plus chip.

*Note: LG doesn't utilize the Marvell Armada 1500 chip in their GTV televisions - they have their own custom chip. That's why I think the negative viewpoint is a 'possibility'. I'm not claiming that the 'old' Marvell Armada 1500 chip couldn't handle a Jellybean update - just stating that IMO Google might claim that the "old" Marvel chip won't support planned new features 'optimally'.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  20. retroben

retroben Active Member

They should at least give us NDK support,even if we stay on HoneyComb!
    Most (if not all) phones and tablets start with NDK in the pre-ICS versions!

Google with Google TV screwed us over by never implementing NDK at all!

:mad: