Quantcast

Google TV and TiVo Premiere XL setup?

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by drweb, Feb 1, 2012.

1. drweb

drweb New Member

I just added the TiVo Premiere XL to the home setup, love it so far! But, I was wondering if anyone here could help on the setup if I can keep my Google TV from Logitech (Revue), and integrate them somehow. I imagine some features of both boxes won't work, but I thought I'd try it out. The TiVo Premiere has an M-card from Cox, and a Tuning Adaptor to get the Switched Digital Video (SDV) channels okay.

How do you setup the connections for these two devices, to my Sony HDTV? I believe it's like this.
    Connect Google TV Revue then HDMI out > into HDMI in TiVo Premiere XL > then TV? I'm just not sure how to hook this up. :)

Also, if you have any tips or downsides/upsides to this connection --if you have it or heard about it-- let me know. Thanks!
    DrWeb

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I think you're making much harder than it needs to be. You would set-up, like mine, except instead of a Slingbox you have an actual television.

Tivo Premiere XL > Logitech Revue > Sony HDTV.

You may have not notice yet but there is no HDMI inputs on the Premiere just an HDMI output.

3. drweb

drweb New Member

Thanks again, eferz.. as always, you ring true for the fix. I'll try it out tonight. I'll have to see what works "together" and doesn't play so good together. Hopefully, in that setup, I'll get most of the features from both to work ok!
    Best,
    DrWeb

4. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

You're welcome. Glad to help. I hope it works out for you.

5. TimeHunter

TimeHunter New Member

I only have the Series 3 HD, but have been a Tivotee since almost the beginning, and I still have both a Series 1 and Series 2 in working order.

The only thing that really doesn't work between the Tivo and and GoogleTV set top unit is the ability to schedule recordings vie the GoogleTV. Though Tivo has a network command interface (I can control my Tivo from the official app on my Android based phone) it does not allow commands to schedule recordings.

Other than that, I can browse the guide, play back and otherwise control existing recordings, etc.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I've always thought it was peculiar that Tivo already has the software infrastructure in place but did not take advantage of Google TV's Enhanced DVR / Advance Integration.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

HI Efert

I noticed in another thread that Tivo Premiere was mentioned about setting up the Revue to control OTA channels. Does this mean that the PIP is viewable using a tuner and Tivo without a cable set top box? Or does it just facilitate control of digital channels.

Carl

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

HI Carlstone

Well, the Logitech Revue has a built-in Harmony component, so it can have the same level of control as the OEM remote. However, the Tivo itself doesn't have PIP capabilities outside of the TiVo Central screen. You can use the GTV PIP controls to show Live TV in a small window though while you search the web.

9. Carlszone

Hmm...

Pardon my denseness, but when I initially set up my Revue, I had a Cable DVR and of course PIP was enabled. But there was no prompt for generic sources. Does the Tuner act as an AV or would the TIVO be the Source. Geez, maybe I'm not asking this right...

Basically, I'm trying to find the simplest way to enable PIP functionality via a generic source like OTA. In other words, would using a tuner only, enable the picture in a picture?

Carl

10. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Good question, although its little sporadic in its layout and not completely defined well.

Let's see if I can answer this the best possible way. First of all if your television has PIP capabilities then yes, you can use its built-in tuner and its PIP feature to also show the Google TV on the same screen. Depending on its capabilities, you may even swap between the two. Google TV's PIP feature is much more strict. It will only allow you to use it with certain applications and under certain conditions. For example, the Live TV app can be inside of a PIP window; however, it cannot be swapped.

Not sure if I answered your question, but you should have enough information to extrapolate your answer.

11. Carlszone

Got It!

12. jbkidd

jbkidd New Member

i have a tivo premiere elite with a logitech revue and a slingbox 500. the revue is set up as a pass thru & i would like to keep it that way. BUT a small floating message appears when i try to use the slingbox. it says hdmi not permitted with a tv icon next to it. the slingbox picture is being broadcast in the background and looks great but this small floaty message will not go away. i plugged the tivo directly into the tv, and took the revue out of the equasin, and it worked fine. but connected back with the revue being the pass thru the message was there again. Slingbox is hooked up with component cables only. ALSO message dissapears from slingbox broadcast if television is turned on. Any work arounds? slingbox wants to keep saying its and hdcp issue. it is not. they want me to use the revue as a stand alone device and not have the tivo run thru it. i did it. of course it works, but just not the same as conveinently having the revue as a pass thru. HELPP

13. edrebber

edrebber New Member

It sounds like your TV's HDMI port is always active while the HDMI port from the Revue is not always active. You can try using an active HDMI splitter between your Revue and your Tivo.