Quantcast

Google TV and OTA TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by raptor13, Dec 15, 2012.

1. raptor13

raptor13 New Member

I've recently cut the cable and was wondering if their is any good integration of Google TV and OTA TV. I am just experimenting right now, but am definitely not going back to cable (would consider satellite). Right now use the Vizio Co-Star "buddy box", but also need a either a new box or even an integrated google tv. For OTA integration (if possible), would the integrated google tv work better? Thanks for any feedback or links if there is already a discussion on this.

Mike

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am using TiVo with Google TV, I don't think there is a close second best option for OTA but there are less expensive options. A distant second best for me would probably be a PC with Windows Media Center than the other DVRs, such as Channel Master would follow. OTA without a DVR is not a very good solution for cutting the cord in my opinion, it is pretty hard to be in front of the TV when something is on you want to see unless you have already recorded it. It isn't like OTA will have enough channels that there is always something on to watch like you had with cable.

Assuming you have an ATSC tuner in your existing HDTV, the least expensive option is to use it with an antenna, either on the roof or indoors. There will not be much integration of Google TV and OTA other than you can probably find a TV guide on Google TV to let you know what it is on.

3. raptor13

raptor13 New Member

Thanks for the reply! Regarding the Tivo option, does it integrate with google tv? So you could get the functionality of both? Also Tivo allows you to record OTA programming? Does it also have some sort of guide for OTA? If it did those things it would be almost perfect for me. The only other desire would be whole home dvr function (2 tvs). I will check out tivo's website and learn some more...

4. mardukeme

mardukeme Member

What about the new boxee tv for ota. Doesnt that do ota tv?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

5. ChrisG8

TiVo has an excellent guide, great mature software with features that makes recording OTA a breeze with two tuners. I have two TiVos but there are new TiVo products that might make one DVR work well with two TVs. I can transfer recordings from one TiVo to the other or to a PC for playback elsewhere in the house and that works well enough for me. TiVo can be run through and be controlled by my Google TV boxes, that aspect is not very important to me and I don't know how well the Co-Star will work with TiVo but you can be sure it will be the best OTA DVR with any Google TV box in my opinion.

6. ChrisG8

Yes, I don't know much about it but it uses cloud storage and I can't get comfortable with having to download my OTA recordings using the internet. For one thing, I record about 200GB of data a month with TiVo and I can't imagine my internet service could just handle another 200GB of data, not to mention having to upload the recordings in the first place. The cloud storage concept for OTA just sounds absurd to me, I will stick with local hard drives.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member