Quantcast

Google TV and Comcast Data usage policy

Discussion in 'Google TV Help' started by MarkJohnson, May 31, 2011.

1. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson New Member

Any comcast users have the google tv? Does the google tv use excessive data? I mean on my pc i never exceeded over 50 gigabytes in a month. But after 1 week of google tv i already have over 86 gigabytes worth of monthly usage? I only been on a few basic sites like youtube!!!! the question i have does visiting a webpage on googletv take up more bandwith usage than doing it on a laptop/pc? (Comcast has a limit of 250 gigabytes a month for their data usage so this is going to be a huge problem!)

2. MarkJohnson

MarkJohnson New Member

i meant excessive bandwidth not excessive data... anyways i never went over 40 gigabytes in a month but now after 10 days im at a whopping 86 gigabytes!

• Like Like x 2
  3. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

I know that lets say hulu (I know it is blocked) but I use a macmini to view it through my Google TV and I have noticed if you do not stop the stream after your finished watching it, it will just continue to play other videos. That can eat data lets say your not home for two days it will continue streaming until you stop the stream. Not sure what you were wadching but this is something I noticed. Hope this helps..

• Like Like x 2
  4. towboy123

towboy123 New Member

Pandora keeps playing for a while as well.
    If you use the spotlight links they have less info per page so I would imagine slightly less usage there.

On your computer what quality level were you using was it HD or SD that could also be the cause of the data increase

• Like Like x 2
  5. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

Google should put some safeguard in place to stop a stream after x amount of time. Lets be real I don't know any 4 hour movies or TV shows.. the isp's are going to use the data usage in there benefit and try to get people who use too much data to view content to try and get them to sign up for a subscription. But if its not tops $10 a month I will not even entertain the idea, I'm loving my Google TV's I even ditched my iPhone for a nexus s and I'm happy all around!

• Like Like x 2
  6. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Camby IN---------------------------Sony 40" GTV
    Anyone using Netflix? I use Netflix around 2-3hours a day and most of what I watch is in HD, that's gotta use some Gigs. We are running 3 PS3,1 GTV, 2 PC, 1 Laptop, and 3 Smart Phones on Comcast internet and we have never gone over the 250G cap. They are not always on the internet tho, but a good amount each month.

I am going to see what we are using and post back.

7. galfert

galfert Active Member

I was considering switching to AT&T U-verse but because of their new limits I'm keeping my Brighthouse Cable.

• Like Like x 2
  8. rtalain

rtalain New Member

I didn't know Comcast had a limit. What happens when you hit the limit?

9. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Here is the Comcast FAQ questions about their data limit and how they enforce it. It is very informative. Actually the Comcast monthly limit of 250GB is much more generous than the new ATT limits: Frequently Asked Questions about Excessive Use

• Like Like x 2
  10. cordova5252

cordova5252 New Member

timewarner road runner internet. no limit :)

11. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

How did you go to find your bandwidth use. I looked on comcast.com but cant find any info.

12. CatfishRivers

I have Comcast Xfinity so I can answer the question. After I log into my account I click where it says "user & settings". That takes me to a page with a bar in graph form (on the top of the page) - which lists the usage for the current month in Gigabytes. The bar (usage) is reset on the first of each month. They say it's not exactly real time but sometimes can be delayed by aprox. 3 hours). I can also click a link on that page and get a detailed bar graph of the previous several months of my usage so I can compare that to the current month.

• Like Like x 2
  13. CatfishRivers

• Like Like x 2
  14. lucas710

lucas710 New Member

Hey thanks CatfishRivers, but I called Comcast and they told me of a problem they are having where the usage bar doesn't show up for some people. They are trying to fix the glitch as I type this post, maybe by Monday they will know more info.