Quantcast

Google TV and Chrome cast app(s)

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by donc13, Nov 24, 2013.

1. donc13

donc13 Member

I have 2 Google TV boxes (Revue and Sony NSG 7) and recently added a Chrcomecast. I did this because there are web events that Google TV's browser can't display. I can now "cast" from my desktop to my TV. Works fine, same with my Chrome book and android tablet.

So the other day, I am looking at a YouTube video on my tablet and want to let my wife see it too. I hit the "cast" icon and suddenly....I have 2 new choices where to cast it...Google TV and Google TV 2! To make a long story short....I told it to send it to Google TV, a popup on the TV screen says that my Xoom is now sending You Tube to my TV and the did video starts playing! It turns out that the Google TV's YouTube app has started up but I can control it from my tablet. That's far easier than hitting the home button, scrolling to the YT app.,starting it, finding the video, starting it, etc.

None of the other apps (like Netflix) do this yet, but I see it as Google's "vision" for the future.

YouTube app on Google TV was just updated a day or two ago

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 4

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I don't use this feature - but hasn't GTV had the ability to stream YouTube from a mobile device for quite a while now? (see link below):

One button pairing to TV with YouTube for Android - YouTube

I did notice that there was a new YouTube for TV update (the new name for the GTV YouTube app) on November 21st to version# 1.7.3.

On The Play Store it says:

*What's New
    Several bug fixes and decreased memory footprint.*

3. donc13

donc13 Member

I've never noticed it before. It is the intent/purpose of the DIAL protocol which Chrome cast uses. The protocol was developed by YouTube & Netflix

4. CatfishRivers

In this GTV blog from November 13, 2012 (see link below) - it says one button control from a mobile device to fling YouTube content to GTV is available (automatically pairs your devices on the same WiFi) - and then the video can be controlled by the mobile device. Maybe they improved or changed the layout since then.

The Official Google TV Blog: Making it easier to watch YouTube videos on TV

5. donc13

donc13 Member

Well, my bad... Cuz before today, hitting the cast icon in YouTube .only showed the Chrome cast Device.

Point being, it is a good thing, and a good move on Google's part.

Added in edit.... My bad-bad, one YEAR & 10 days.

6. svtdoug

svtdoug New Member

I just discovered this also. Was about to order a Chromecast dongle, and on a whim I went into the YouTube app on my Android phone (HTC One) to see if there was a Cast icon present. There was. I clicked on it and up popped Google TV as a device option! I clicked on that and my wife started yelling from the family room. My YouTube video had taken over her watching the Rose Bowl on the family room TV which has the Sony Google TV (version 1) installed. Very cool, once I got her back on the Rose Bowl.

Now trying to figure out how to do the same with the mobile Chrome browser. Sources suggest I need the Cast extension to my phone, but when I try to download it, it says my OS is not supported yet? What? Android is not supported? Windows, Apple OS, Linux are, but not Android? Google who?

Anyway, happy that the old Google TV supports casting.

Doug

7. CatfishRivers

Hi. To cast content from your mobile Chrome browser to GTV try the "Allcast" app. It's supposed to work with GTV. I suggest trying the free version first to see if it works good with your device. Here is a thread with more information:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...android-roku-apple-tv-xbox-smart-tv-dlna.html

and here is the link to the free version of Allcast in the Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.cast

**Update: OK I researched this further and apparently Allcast currently only streams local content. The developer has another app that does mirroring but that app is still in beta.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can use the Google Remote app or the Able Remote app which enables your mobile device to act as a GTV remote control. You can fling some web pages this way to your GTV - but it's not the same thing as mirroring.

Google Remote app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.tvremote

Able Remote app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.entertailion.android.remote

(For the Able Remote you need to download the Able Remote android app on your mobile device and also download the Able Remote GTV app on your GTV device).

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  8. svtdoug

svtdoug New Member

Thank you very much CatFishRivers, for the helpful information. I tried the AllCast, but it doesn't seem to work reliably. When attempting to display photos from my phone, it seems to hang with a display of phone data folders on the TV. I believe I saw something about it having problems with HTC One's, which is what I have. When trying to cast a webpage from my phone using Chrome, nothing would display on the TV.

I then tried Able Remote, and it seems to work well for casting photos from my phone, but it had lots of halting when I tried videos. Otherwise, it does give me another remote option for my Google TV box, which will likely be useful. I then tried to cast Chrome webpages, but it just displayed a blank white screen on the TV.

Thanks again. Still hoping Google will unlock the YouTube style casting to other Android apps, including Chrome.

Doug