Quantcast

Google TV Aims To 'Make It Delightful' With 2.0 Release

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 19, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google TV Aims to 'Make it Delightful' with 2.0 Release - Streaming Media Magazine
    (click for full article and a video interview with Shanna Preve - the Google TV business development lead - at the Streaming Media West conference)

"Despite positive early attention, Google TV wasn't a hit when it debuted in October, 2010. Surrounded by less expensive and easier set-top box competitors, the Google TV interface looked complicated and not worth the price. Google is aiming to change that perception with its recent update to the platform, called Honeycomb for Google TV (or just Google TV 2.0, if you prefer).

At the recent Streaming Media West conference in Los Angeles, Shanna Prevé, business development lead for Google TV, sat down for a red carpet interview to discuss the platform's changes. This interview preceded Logitech's crippled release of the software update.

Prevé noted that Google still has a long way to go in improving the Google TV experience, but sees this software update as an important first step. The company listened to candid feedback from its users, learning that it didn't just have to make the user interface simpler, it had to make Google TV delightful.

"What we're trying to do is bring additional functionality without making it too hard to use," said Prevé."

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  2. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

How soon before we get Ice Cream Sandwich (ICS) on GoogleTV?

3. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

What does "Logitech's crippled release" mean?

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

It's explained in this article:

Logitech Updates the Revue (Sort Of) - Streaming Media Magazine

Basically Logitech decided to leave out support for MPEG2 and transport streams in their version of the media player. The Google 3.1 update supports those formats and Sony included it in their update. Essentially I don't think that Logitech wanted to spend the licensing fees that would of been involved.

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't know how you make Google TV delightful or make it really easy to use. It does require some effort to make it work as it is now but finding what you want on the internet seems like something that will always take some effort unless you want to limit access to only pretty, uniform, and exactly the same sites. If Google TV evolves into a delightful experience that grandma can use, that is fine with me, but I don't think there is any market willing to pay the price necessary to make that product. Give me an inexpensive, powerful tool I can make work for my needs, even if it requires some effort, and I am delighted.

6. chicha29

chicha29 New Member

I'm already delighted with GTV, especially compared with the experience that Microsoft's WebTV/MSNTV2 offered.

7. jTV

jTV New Member

:mad: cheap bastards! :mad: