Quantcast

Google TV 4.0+

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Fluthy, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

It was around this time last year that we received Google TV 2.0 (Honeycomb). This time we have not heard much of anything from Google on a software update, although early this year they said we would be seeing more updates. In 2011 with the announcement of ICS they mentioned the use of it with large screens (eg. TVs). I just wanted to hear people thoughts on if we would actually see a Google TV update this year or will we remain stuck on 3.2? As much as ICS has improved the phones smoothness and UI I would think Google would want this push out to the Google TVs quick unless they have dedicated less resources at Google TV this year.

In June they also announced that we would see the actual Play store where we could rent movies, etc. We have not heard a release date on this either. Will we be seeing this happen in 2012, hopefully before the Holiday season?

Lastly, I currently have a Logitech Revue which works fine, slow, laggy, needs to be restarted often, but can play a movie or watch a You Tube video just fine when needed. I have delayed upgrading to the Sony or Vizio on waiting to see if one of these would get an OS update. I also wondering when Samsung or Hisense will release their set top boxes? Unfortunately we don't even have any good rumors like we did last year with Honeycomb 3.0. I can dream of a Google TV that can do most if not everything my phone and tablet can do... that would be awesome!

What are others thoughts?

2. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I do have the Sony GS7 and love it.I did see in one of the Youtube Videos where the Sony developers did say that they were committed to bringing the ICS 4.0 and eventually the 4.02 JellyBean upgrade to the GS7.It was an hour long boring chat between all of the developers that had a hand in this product.There was no mention of a time line on this but if you have a facebook account just put googletv in search and you'll find more firsthand info there! Mike

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Who is "they"? The Sony developers can't do anything about an OS update until Google provides it to them first.

4. GoGoogle

GoGoogle New Member

ICS was released almost a year ago.

5. overtimeman

That's why I mentioned facebook because that's where they announce the meetings of the minds(google included) and they always provide a youtube link so everyone can be in the know about our product and what in the planning stages.The Sony one was informative but an hour long.Just trying to be helpful. Mike

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

So? I agree Google should update the GTV operating system. The point that I'm making is that the GTV operating system update must initiate from Google. Sony, Vizio etc cannot launch their own GTV OS without FIRST receiving the update from Google. After they receive the update from Google they can tweak their firmware so it runs optimally on their devices. But the base release must first come from Google. So "the ball is in Google's court" so to speak.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. CatfishRivers

Not everyone has a Facebook account. Can you please post the link to the video? Thanks......

8. CatfishRivers

OK I found this video on YouTube with Sony Google TV developers talking about the second generation GTV devices. It's a question and answer session with Sony GTV developers - there is NOBODY from Google there answering questions.

I haven't watched the entire video - however at the 17 minute mark the question was asked "whether Sony intends to continue supporting first generation GTV devices". The answer was that they plan to continue support "to some degree - but it depends on Google". I'm sure they (Sony) will also plan to fully support the NSZ-ZS7 box - but once again that ultimately will also involve Google.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  9. CatfishRivers

Alrighty making more progress here -:) This is a more recent video (from 2 months ago) about the new Sony GTV devices - and this video does indeed have some Google engineers in the video. It's over an hour long so I haven't watched it yet.

Note: At the 10:54 mark the question of "Whether ICS & Jellybean OS will be coming to the NSZ-ZS7" was asked. This was asked to the Google engineer. IMO his response was a rather canned generic reply. He replied: "Google is working with it's partners to bring them the latest & greatest. There is no timeline - that's the best I can say. Stay tuned".

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  10. overtimeman

Thanks for getting that video.Been kinda busy today.If you sit through the whole thing you'll wonder why they couldn't make it short and sweet!Meeting of the minds so to speak! Mike