Quantcast

Google TV 2016:

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google TV 2016: Maybe Schmidt is on to something with his bold predictions

August 30, 2011

Summary: Google’s vision for next-gen TV isn’t so crazy if it can leverage Motorola Mobility with a different approach
    Google has never been the one to provide original content - from video and news to music and images. Google has always been about indexing that content, making it readily available to the masses and then incorporating advertising to turn it into a gold mine.

That’s why, when Google chairman Eric Schmidt makes a bold statement about Google TV’s future, I try to keep an open mind.

Sure, Google TV as we know it today is non-starter. The idea of bringing a keyboard and a browser to the living room is a deal-breaker - and Google should have known it, given the repeated failures of others who tried to bring the PC to the TV in earlier years. (Disclosure: I have the Logitech Revue in my living room and, aside from the Netflix and Pandora apps, it’s pretty much a brick.)

But who’s to say what Google TV might look like five years from now. The power of Google TV is the technology, not the actual device - and certainly not the content. And with Google now in the set-top business - thanks to that acquisition of Motorola Mobility - it’s not hard to imagine that Google TV technology could make its way into homes everywhere. It’s also not hard to imagine the cable guys - who want to be more than just the dump pipe of the Internet - getting on-board with a premium service that delivers videos from Hulu, YouTube or Netflix - to the customer.

Remember when TiVo was the enemy because it allowed viewers to fast-forward past commercials? It wasn’t until the DVR technology started showing up in the set-top boxes that the TiVo-like concept went mainstream. Today, every cable and satellite company offers a DVR.
    In many ways, TiVo and Google face similar challenges: Viewers don’t understand the concept and Hollywood is scared of it. But if Google can educate viewers by offering them what they do understand - YouTube and Netflix, for example - as an introduction to Google TV, they might stand a chance on that front. Convincing Hollywood is a bigger challenge but maybe the answer is to partner with the cable and satellite guys on the hardware side and let them deal with Hollywood negotiations, something that they’re old hands at.

For Google, this isn’t about controlling the content - that’s not what Google does. It wants to be the technology that brings it all together and presents it nice and neat in front of the user (in this case, the viewer) - a preface to selling and delivering advertisers to those same users. That’s the business model and Google TV should be no exception.

Finally, it’s important to remember that the target audience with the Google TV concept is not an old guy like me, the Al Bundy type who wants to be a coach potato with a remote on an NFL Sunday. It’s the up-and-coming generations, those who will use on-screen interactive features to share their thoughts about their favorite shows on social media, engage in a video trash talk session during halftime or check out some friends’ favorite clips.

It’s not so crazy to imagine that sort of behavior when you consider that today’s teens - with all that texting and Facebooking and YouTubing they do - will be full-fledged adult consumers by then.

Hmmm. Maybe Schmidt is on to something here.
    SOURCE

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Another review of the Revue complaining that it isn't useful as is and the wireless keyboard is a bad idea, I don't get it. I understand the market hasn't responded well but the product works great in my opinion. Honeycomb 3.1 and bug fixes are needed, such as the audio over HDMI issues, but if that happens this year, we have a bullseye product this year, no reason to wait until 2016. The fact some sites are blocked is a problem but much of that content can be handled with OTA and a DVR or cable and a DVR or satellite and a DVR. If his is just a brick, I think he either doesn't need what it does or doesn't know how to use it.

I do agree the product has great upside potential and maybe it will be a mass market product by 2016 if Google's plans are fruitful.

3. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I also think that relying on a full sized keyboard is also a bad idea. It may work for geeks like us but let's face it, it intimidating to people who are computer illiterate. The rest of the world wants an ergonomic device which they can hold in one hand for simple navigation, channel changes playback and volume control. Even I tend to use a Harmony Remote control 90% of the time with the Logitech Revue or the Sony Internet TV, only picking up the keyboard remote when I need to type or use the mouse pointer.

Something that could bring "Harmony" to both worlds is a Unify compatible hand-held remote similar in the design to the Tivo Slide Remote.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2011
  4. ChrisG8

It is fine to have a different controller option for the consumers that want something else. I want the keyboard, certainly others can disagree and buy a Harmony 650 or Logitech can offer the product with a Harmony 650 as an option. Those little slideout keypads with remotes like the TiVo optional remote are nice but in my opinion for my needs, not nearly as nice as the keyboard included with the Revue. If the Revue is also going to be used for internet browsing and forum participation, like I am doing right now, the keyboard is the only way to fly.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I used to be on the Microsoft WebTV (Yeah it's still around believe it or not) so I'm very comfortable with a full keyboard. I think these reviewers that trash the Revue keyboard are doing so because they just want to use it like a "Roku" - and do their other full computing on their computer.

They miss the point that there are still a lot of people (like those that use/used WebTV as their ONLY internet device). The keyboard is excellent for typing such as writing emails, chatting on instant messenger, ordering products online, etc

. By the way at one point the Microsoft Webtv had over one million subscribers - so I don't get how all the 'experts' always refer to it as a "total failure"..Sure now it is slowly dieing - as Microsoft stopped doing updates and the hardware was all discontinued years ago.

6. jetmdt

jetmdt Member

Sorry but, I agree on the keyboard. Wait till you guys get older, I would like to see someone in their "late" stages using a slide-out keyboard like a Vizio or TivoTV remote. Oh, and one more thing, this keyboard doesn't easily hide between couch cushions! :p

7. ChrisG8

Simple solution, offer the Revue with this great keyboard or with a crappy remote and let the consumer decide which to buy. My guess is that the keyboard will be the bigger hit. I love the Harmony remotes but not for using the Logitech Revue or for web browsing or internet searching with any product, for that I want a keyboard and this one is terrific.

8. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Don't ever apologize for presenting your opinion. Whether or not you agree or disagree, your opinion matters. So, don't ever apologize for it. Ever!

9. Chunkybug

Chunkybug New Member

I have both the regular keyboard and the mini keyboard..

I never use the mini anymore just because it is rather difficult to use.. ( I use my android all the time but my mini keyboard sits collecting dust)

I also have the webcam which by the way does not work well with skype at all..It is hard to tell someone download the software for logitech so I can use my camera..

I still like my webcam from my laptop the best..

Maybe the android market will help with this....Fingers crossed

.......Side note: It is nice to see other's who have used Webtv aka MSNTV

Kev