Quantcast

Google TV 2013 hardware - dissappointing

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by Fluthy, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

I have gotten an glimpse of the new Google TV's for CES and I am disappointed. Everyone is running the same exact specs... same board, same CPU, same amount of RAM. I was hoping to replace my Revue with one of these new models if they stood out, but they are all the same. I am leaning to the Sony.. what is everyone else's thoughts?

Maybe someone at CES will still surprise me... but so far.. blah!

• Like Like x 2
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The Sony NSZ-GP9 stands out, I expect the best codec support and it should have 8GB flash storage, unlike 4GB for the non-Sony models. I haven't seen the ASUS Qube specs but I do expect the Marvell Armada 1500 and 1GB RAM with 4GB flash storage for the others. At under $150, much better isn't really possible at this point.

3. Fluthy

Fluthy New Member

Are they releasing the NSZ-GP9? I have not seen anything on that yet... but I would definitely be interested.

4. drhill

drhill Member

The netgear box on their website mentions mpeg 2 support. Which is good, but it doesn't mention AC3/DD or DTS which is bad.

ChrisG8, have you seen anything on the GP9 in the last day or are you just hoping like the rest of us that it pans out?

5. ChrisG8

No I haven't seen anything, I am a dreamer. I seriously doubt we will see any of the non Blu-ray player models support DTS going forward so the NSZ-GP9 may be the only solution on the horizon for that need.

6. drhill

drhill Member

Unless Google realizes they should be selling codec licenses in the market I believe you are going to be right, sadly.

7. ChrisG8

I have wondered if that is possible. Is there a precedent? I don't recall ever seeing the ability for a consumer to buy a license to use DTS for example. We know the Marvell Armada 1500 is capable, all that is needed is firmware and a license.

I think the new hardware is adequate, the processor is enough of an upgrade over the first generation models. Google TV needs more native apps for the most popular content is the biggest shortcoming I can think of. After having a Roku, with Amazon, Vudu and Hulu Plus apps (channels), all of which work really well, that very simple limited little box does some very important things better than Google TV. I know Amazon Instant Video app is now available on LG displays so that one has been developed, we are just waiting for a rollout to lesser Google TV devices, the LG displays are currently the Cadillac line and getting new things first. Surely 2013 is the year Vudu and Hulu Plus show up as well. Outside of requiring 2 boxes, the Sony NSZ-GT1/Roku combo delivers everything I want from an internet streaming box/media player.

8. ChrisG8

Here is a German site, thanks to Galfert indicating a May 2013 release in Germany, the US could be earlier or later. I have no idea whether it is credible or how that information was obtained but it sure looks like the box I want.

SONY NSZ-GP9 BLU-RAY PLAYER - Sony NSZ-GP9 auf bluray-disc.de

It even shows SACD support.

9. drhill

drhill Member

The raspberry pi allows owners to buy video codecs, mpeg2 and vc1 (talk of dts in the future), that the hardware supports. Licensing costs are the only reason the revue is so gimped. Lack of foresight is the reason my gt1 doesn't play true HD, DTS ma, or 3d videos in the dlna app.

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

The Archos TV Connect device may be what users who are looking for an Android device that virtually plays any media file users can throw at it! It's not GTV instead it's pure android with a video camera and a blackberry/psp hybrid remote! I am starting to wounder if some GTV apps could be side loaded to this device to make it a nice alternative to GTV. Users will have full app access including great games! If there was a way to make this device control a DVR like GTV then perhaps even the Primetime App would run on it.

11. drhill

drhill Member

Honestly I'm really close to just buying a Pivos XIOS DS. The XBMC team is working on it and live TV (from MythTV for me) is on their things to do list. The only things holding me back are the device's lack of HD audio support and XBMC's lack of real 3d support (Full SBS or MVC, Half Side by Side is crap). Netflix works on the device and it runs ICS so a lot of other apps do as well.

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Marvell GTV booth at CES:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  13. ChrisG8

Ha, not exactly the best guy to conduct that interview, he didn't know anything about Google TV or the Marvell Armada 1500 processor but it is always great to see Google TV getting notice in the press.

14. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

IMO Charbax kind of intentionally uses a naive interviewing style to bring out the basics and make it easier for novices to understand. Granted that interview wasn't particularly informative. However he really is quite in the know on ARM chips and devices. Check out his web site here:

ARMdevices.net

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  15. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

I really hope someone puts a bit more effort into these devices, I got the Vizio Costar but can't even think of replacing my Logitech revue in the living room as the ability to control all my devices there is just vital.

16. chopper

chopper Active Member

GTV should have web cam integration in the new boxes coming out by now! Perhaps this could be accomplished via a USB add on device that works with all G2 boxes soon. The gesture functonality is a nice add on by Asus on the Qube. There is an easy fix for those like me who think the Cube launcher is horrible just replace it with another launcher as perhaps even the stock GTV launcher will work on the Qube. If this is the case then I will keep an open mind and give the Qube another long hard look before buying my next GTV device. For me the absence of the Primetime App outside the USA is the biggest issue that may have me looking for another non-GTV device once my Revue dies! Right now if my Revue died I would be looking at the Archos TV Connect instead of GTV for a better outside the USA user experience. Additionally, Archos has IMHO the best codec support in the tablet/media player industry which they are bringing to the TV with this device. To be sure here is next to no need to transcode when using their devices.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  17. dtaylor

dtaylor Member

Hisense is launching a 4K Google TV called the XT900 with a detachable camera. Although I assume it's going to be another special custom built solution similar to what Logitech already did.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

18. ChrisG8

OK, that makes more sense, I was tricked into thinking that was all he knew but I get it now. She was a good sport, didn't get annoyed with him at all.