Quantcast

Google TV 2.0: November 8 ?

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google TV 2.0 Could Make its Debut on November 8 at Streaming Media West (EVENTS)

October 13, 2011

[​IMG]Streaming Media West 2011, an annual event designed to cover the entire online video ecosystem is just a few short weeks away. Why should you care? Chances are pretty good that this is where we might get our first glimpses of the new Google TV experience. How did I arrive at this conclusion? Read on, it's not that complicated.

Donagh O’Malley, Global Head of Content for Google TV, recently spoke at an industry event where he said we were but three-to-four weeks away from the Honeycomb update. It just so happens that Mr. O’Malley will be speaking on November 8th in an hour-long session called Google TV Demo: The New World of Smart TVs. Toss in the fact that Google recently gave developers the final add-on SDK needed for Google TV and we're pretty convinced that this is going to happen.

There are a number of streaming media companies who will be present at Streaming Media West, including representatives from Adobe, Hulu, CBS Interactive, Verizon, Roku, Sling Media, and many others. We'll be paying close attention to the two-day Los Angeles event and suggest you do the same.

SOURCE

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Even if they 'show'off' a working Google TV running Honeycomb at the November 8th Streaming West event - that's still no guarantee that it will go live exactly then. They might show it off - then go back to working on fixing the bugs. Here's to hoping though....

3. Rickaren

Still nice to see a date, even if it does not happen exactly on November 8th. Have seen some PR Announcements in the past that said "Now Available, TODAY"! Could happen, but yes I suspect it could be within the same week or so if they do make a Google TV 2.0 statement. That is the real question.

4. theddyg

theddyg New Member

I believe it when i see it. It's been 4 updates they missed from oct. 2010 up to june 2011. and lately 3 times. end of sept., end of summer, 1st week of oct. nothing at all happened. just wish they fixe the media player with better dlna codec support.

5. galfert

galfert Active Member

November 8th is more than "3 to 4 weeks" being thrown around from when that statement came out. I still believe that statement had no basis. The November 8th date is for an event with the same Google person that I think has nothing to do with the release of the update and he is not in the know. So all of this means nothing.

6. bidger

bidger Member

Exactly. Put up or shut up Google. Enough with the vapor deadlines.

7. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I'll give them credit where it's due..I was previously with msntv,if something went wrong "quick fixes" were the "bandaid".whereas,with Google TV,If something's not quite right,its tested and retested before it goes back out

Okay so we may end up with a "piggyback" of Both Honeycomb and ICS,no harm in that..we'll get a "two fer" out of it.
    As for what happens in December 2011 and January 2012,guess we'll just have to wait and see if "Jellybean" is not far off.

8. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I see the waiting game as a good thing,why rush? that's what happens when a company pushing out an untested product,
    and they have to really hustle to go back and fix the flaws.this way,Google is ahead of the game..am I a patient person?
    yes you might say that.

Coincidentally,I told a friend I was going forward to Google tv,she didn't believe me? her loss,she's still on dialup..I'm ahead of the game and loving watching Google TV grow by "leaps"

9. Rickaren

Google TV 2.0 to Debut at Media West Event on November 8th

16 October 2011

[​IMG]Google TV

Hot on the heels of releasing the final SDK for Google TV, everyone’s favorite search giant is set to show off the new system in just a few weeks. The Streaming Media West event on November 8th will host all the big names in TV and online streaming. Donagh O’Malley, Global Head of Content for Google TV, recently spoke at an industry event where he said we were but three to four weeks away from the Honeycomb update. And take a guess who is a keynote speaker at the Streaming Media West event on November 8th? We won’t tax your brains by making you reread that last line, so yes, it’s Donagh O’Malley. O’Malley’s timeframe for the Google TV update coincides nicely with that big conference, and what better place for Google to show off its revamped Internet TV platform than at a conference full of media execs and internet bigwigs?

O’Malley will be speaking on November 8th in an hour-long session called Google TV Demo: The New World of Smart TVs.

We think that pretty much gives it away. Whether or not the new version of Honeycomb for Google TV will start rolling out that day is yet to be seen, but Sony and Logitech box owners should, hopefully, start getting that update sometime next month. After all, Google promised the update at the end of the summer, and that time has come and gone.

The Honeycomb update to Google TV will bring a more tablet-like experience to Google TV. The revamped interface that we’ve seen in leaked builds looks very slick, and the addition of the Android Market for Google TV will be a great way for developers to showcase their skills for the big screen. It’s a busy time at Google with the expected launch of Ice Cream Sandwich and the Galaxy Nexus/Nexus Prime, along with this update for Google TV. Expect to see a lot of great stuff to spend your hard-earned cash on this holiday season.

SOURCE

10. ibk

ibk New Member

I love the news updates and everything, but posting entire articles verbatim is not respecting copyrights at all.

11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If this is a violation of the copyright, then it should stop, if it isn't then I much prefer it is done this way as it avoids clicking on a link and risking malware or annoying popups or other crap. I don't know the answer but it is a black and white issue and a copyright attorney can easily answer the question.

12. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

13. ibk

ibk New Member

Making it so no one has to click the link by posting the entire article is what will anger copyright holders. They publish the content to the web in order to get clicks, posting the entire article negates their traffic.

Its not really black and white though, as other sites such as the Huffington Post created their entire business based on using other peoples content.

In my opinion the best practice would be to rehash the article in your own words with a link to the source. I am not a lawyer, just for the record.

14. Winkle

Winkle New Member

OMG I hate the Huffington Post.. I got a cousin on FB that always links their junk..

So they should at least make an update to open the Market right?!

15. stuberman

stuberman Member

"Fair use" permits people to legally post portions of a copyrighted piece with proper attribution (such as a link). People should not be posting the entire content of copyrighted material.

16. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

I can confirm this (I researched it a few months ago). These postings are legal.

17. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

18. trin20t

trin20t New Member

There are still alot of bugs in the 3.1 leaks so I will say that the offical update should be here by end of November.

19. bidger

bidger Member

"Google TV users have been led on by this carrot on a stick for a year now, we aren't holding our breath."

^This. And it's getting old.

20. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

These postings of full articles IS NOT protected by fair use provisions of the copyright law. The original article is copyrighted and cannot be copy/pasted to another site without the express permission of the copyright owner.

For decades I made my living defending my copyrights. Your research skills aside, this isn't legal and it isn't protected by the fair use provision of the copyright law. A short, reasonable snippet of the article and a link to the original would be legal and provide a shield against a copyright infringement claim by the rights holder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk