Quantcast

Google TV 2.0 – a look into the Android 3.1 “Fishtank”

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by galfert, Jun 22, 2011.

1. galfert

galfert Active Member

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting article. The point about developers wanting to design apps that work with/overlay with live tv - kind of seems similar to what Yahoo TV is doing with it's live widgets. The thing about Yahoo TV though is that some of the broadcasters are actually signed up and approve/design the app overlays for their own programs. It makes viewing the live tv kind of an interactive function that runs smoothly. But in Googles case I'd be willing to bet that none of the major broadcasters approve of Google TV overlayling "stuff" over their tv shows without their (networks) approval or design input. Another point is that the SDK (software development kit) has not been released yet. So at the beginning of the 3.1 release - the number of available apps will probably be relatively small - and once the SDK is released then eventually we'll start to see many good apps (say within a few months from the time they release the SDK).

3. zurcaled11

zurcaled11 New Member

Any word on whether or not 3.1 will be completely compatible with the old boxes? I have the sony googletv/blu-ray combo and was wondering whether or not the boxes being used in the fishtank project have the same hardware as the earlier boxes or if current owners would get a partial update and miss features.

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

All current boxes (Logitech Revue and Sony GTV devices) will get the Android 3.1 update this Summer (Late August or early September).
    There will not be any functionality loss as compared to the Fishtank devices.
    The Fishtank devices are meant for developers to write apps for our current and future devices running Android 3.1.
    All indications are that the Fishtank devices are identical to our current devices (same hardware technically). At least we know it is running the same processor Atom CE4100. The Fishtank devices have no meaningful extra ports that would change any functionality as compared to original GTV devices from Logitech and Sony.

Think about this... Since we are all getting the 3.1 update it doesn't make any sense for the Fishtank device to be different because if it were different then it could introduce incompatibility problems with the apps the developers write. The point of Fishtank is not to showcase future Google TV hardware but rather to provide a device that developers can develop and test their apps so that when we all get the 3.1 update we have apps available.

If I were to guess what things could be different in a Future Google TV hardware it would be these sort of things (none of which Fishtank likely has):
    * Built in Hard Drive or more Flash Storage
    * More RAM
    * Faster CPU (dual core or quad core; different than Intel perhaps)
    * newer keyboard design (not that the current one is bad)
    * Perhaps new keyboard has motion gyro sensor
    * Perhaps new keyboard is back lit
    * Multiple STB support (Fishtank has this but it was blocked/covered)
    * Mulitple Output support
    * Built in Digital Tuner or better yet dual tuner
    * Bluetooth Support (we might get this via USB driver and dongle on current devices)
    * USB 3.0 support
    * 3D HDMI support

Notice this list are things that would add functionality at the hardware level. Fishtank is not any different than our current devices ...other than it is running Android 3.1 and we aren't yet.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I think one of the big differences in the next generation of Google TV products will be that they will run ARM chips. I'm thinking specifically about Samsung - because they manufacture their own ARM chips. At around the time of the big CES in Las Vegas (about 6 months ago), Samsung displayed a prototype Google TV set-top box. I think we might see that come to market near the holiday season. The good thing about the ARM chips is they use less power than Intel chips, give off less heat, and cost less. I don't think they will really be faster than the Intel CE 4100 chips Google TV uses now. Anyway the Logitech Revue I believe uses between 11 watts to 13 watts of power so if the ARM chips use a bit less than that to me personally it's not a big deal. I do believe that the Android apps that will use ARM chips have to be written differently than the apps that use the Intel chips (which is an X86 platform).

6. mdloops

mdloops New Member

Looks great! Hope Google stops overpromising and underdelivering