Quantcast

Google to release Honeycomb update

Discussion in 'More News from Your Google TV News Team' started by Rickaren, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google to release Honeycomb update for Google TV

[​IMG] Google to release Honeycomb update for Google TV

Any ideas that Google might be stepping back from the digital TV world may be put to rest by the news that the internet giant is planning a major update to its Google TV operating system that will see integration with Google’s Honeycomb mobile OS.

The move may see greater integration between Android tablet and smartphone devices and Wi-Fi-enabled television sets. The new update is expected later this month.

Sony has put Google TV inside three Bravia TV models while Logitech has created a Revue set top box.

However, the decision by Logitech to reduce the price of the Revue from US$249 down to US$99 led to speculation that Google’s digital TV strategy was not going according to plan.

However, according to reports in Neowin.net and GigaOM, a whole slew of apps are currently available for download in Google’s Android Marketplace that are specifically made for Google TV.

Apps available in the market that are compatible with Google TV include the Wall Street Journal, CNN and CNBC.

SOURCE

OK from what I have seen and even posted here this UPDATE will NOT be released as soon as this month, but because this article was posted just today, could it be right?

2. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Already, I found an error in this article. While Sony makes Bravia televisions, not all televisions made by Sony are Bravia models. In fact, the Sony Internet TV models fall outside of Sony's Bravia television product line. The current Bravia line of Smart TVs use Connected TV platform by Yahoo! not Google.

It is possible but not necessarily probable. Unfortunately, we don't even know if Google has given the final release candidate of the Android 3.1 update to either Sony or Logitech. These manufacturers will want to ensure that their value added portion is working and baked into the package before they are going to distribute it to the wild.

Remember due to the limitation of the over-the-air updates, we will need to abide by the trickle down affect of Intel and Adobe > Google > Logitech or Sony > End User distribution.

The problem with false hope is the feeling of betrayal if it does not come to fruition. While I remain hopeful that it will come out soon, the past trends have made me become cynical. I won't place faith on any article or suggestion as to when the update will be released. At this point, I'm patiently waiting for someone I can trust to let me know that their unit has been updated. And that list is a very short list and doesn't contain random bloggers on the internet.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2011
  3. sparkyscott21

sparkyscott21 Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Buzzny

Buzzny New Member

:cool: I couldn't find the smiley icon of one still hold it's breath....:mad: Maybe this one is close enough...

5. misfit410

misfit410 New Member

Personally once Logitech gets this official honeycomb update out to the end user officially, I think all of our desires will be met, once I have the ability to hit up the market and find new apps, I'll be entirely satisfied.

6. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

I certainly think that we will feel less constrained by what the Logitech Revue can do with the availability of the Android Market. However, Google, Intel, Adobe, Sony, and Logitech still need to resolve quite a bit of legal and technical issues in order for "all of our desires" to be met.

7. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

8. CatfishRivers

I found this article from an android web site that says the big Google TV Honeycomb update will be coming "in a few weeks". They also state that some Google TV devices will receive a minor security update tomorrow.

Big Google TV update coming in weeks | AndroidOS.in

Big Google TV Update Coming In Weeks

"Google TV team has disclosed via their official Twitter account that a minor security update will start pushing out to Google TV owners tomorrow, while a big one (read Honeycomb) will be available in few weeks.

While we do not have the exact timing of the update, but this is the first update schedule confirmation directly from Google. This upcoming update will bring the Android Market support, Honeycomb goodness. A whole slew of Google TV supported apps are already available in the Market from leading developers and many will start coming in one the update is officially available".

NOTE: Here is the link to the "Google TV Team" Twitter page:

http://twitter.com/#!/GoogleTV

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Yep, here's the exact words from their twitter account.

I rather think its funny though that they're using Twitter for Mac, you know with all the Android Netbooks, Mobile Phones, and Tablets.

10. CatfishRivers

Well I waited this long so I don't mind waiting a few more weeks I'd rather wait than have it be full of bugs.. Although it's looking now like all the "end of summer" and "end of September" promises are just failed projections like all the other ones. I noticed Flash 11 is due out in mid October - I wonder if Google TV will get Flash 11 with the Honeycomb update?

11. eferz

eferz Well-Known Member

Probably not. I have yet to witness Adobe release a simulatenous platform launch. They do support a vast array of platforms, so its no surprise that they're not going to wait for each internal development group to flush out an update for the respective platform. Usually, Windows and Mac users get it first then it starts to trickle down to the "other" operating systems and supported hardware.

I wonder exactly what qualifications they're using to determine which Google TV devices will get the update, since this doesn't seem to be a universal roll out. Hopefully, this won't affect the Logitech Revues with the Developer's Leak. That would be a shame after all that effort in getting it to work.

12. sparkyscott21

I noticed my Mac had a old Adobe upgrade on it the other day,
    Ashamed to admit it, I think it was 10.1...

I upgraded to the latest, and ended up backing down a couple updates to get it working right again..
    The latest wasn't very friendly to me, whether it's the betas or what,..

Guess Adobe on Macs aren't all that important as they are to the " pc " world for some reason..

13. thewilliams1

thewilliams1 New Member

** .. I see it now lol

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  14. frmorrison

frmorrison New Member

I researched on why the Googler was using a Mac. It turns out most Googlers use Mac OS X, some use Goobuntu (special version of Linux) and about 20% use Windows 7. While Chromebooks, phones, and tablets are fun devices, they are not well suited for the business world.

15. sarreq

sarreq Member

you can't go by seasonal quarters. the FISCAL quarter ends September 30, so we've still got 5 days to go.

16. sparkyscott21

[​IMG]