Quantcast

Google To Drop Support For Google TV YouTube App On April 20, 2015

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Feb 12, 2015.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

YouTube Will Soon be Incompatible with Certain Smart TVs

Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015 - YouTube Help

Certain older YouTube apps will no longer be supported after April 2015

Devices affected: Select devices manufactured in 2012 and earlier, including Sony TVs & Blu-ray Players, Panasonic TVs & Blu-ray Players, and devices running Google TV.

On April 20, 2015, we will no longer support the YouTube app on certain device models from 2012 and older, as we upgrade the Data API that these apps are based on.

We will continue to focus our efforts on improving our official YouTube app for TV which is available on most 2013 and newer smart TVs, Blu-ray players, game consoles, and streaming devices. You can find a list of our device partners here.

How can I continue using YouTube on my TV?

If you have a web browser on your Smart TV that supports flash and/or html5, you may be able to continue using YouTube by visiting youtube.com in your browser.

2. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Can we please also have a kick in the groin too?

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Wow, I sure didn't see this coming. That is really bad news and I hope Google understands that is a mistake and changes that decision.

4. guest

guest Active Member

How is it that the web-based/browser-based YouTube experience doesn't meet your needs? You seem to be saying that the app-based YouTube is superior. How so?

5. ChrisG8

It is far superior for me, I rarely use the web browser at all for YouTube. All Google TV native apps are preferred for streaming services for me, usually the same reasons, faster loading, easier search, better picture quality, and avoiding crashes. I know I am not using the most recent YouTube app, simply because I like the way the older version I do use works and too many app updates make things worse, not better for me.

I know some here prefer browser access of YouTube, wanting to read user comments or just don't like the app, I disagree and much prefer the app and want to avoid user comments which are just an annoyance to me and of no value. I actually use the Frequency app which accesses my many YouTube channels I like and much more, even more often than I use the YouTube app and my guess is that app will no longer work either, at least for the YouTube content.

• Like Like x 1
  6. CatfishRivers

Upon reading the official YouTube app announcement carefully - I've come to the conclusion that this will most likely only effect 1st & 2nd generation GTV devices that are running the Honeycomb OS. All 1st & second generation GTV devices were manufactured in 2012 or sooner - and this is the biggie - they are all on the same android API level based on Honeycomb OS. The new YouTube app will be based on a newer updated Android API level. So IMO the GTV televisions on the Jellybean update could very well work with the new YouTube app.

It seems the only way the new YouTube app will work with first & second generation GTV devices is if they somehow miraculously get updated to a higher API level (the Jellybean OS or the new Android TV OS).

7. CatfishRivers

OK I came across this blog on the Sony UK web site that lists the Sony devices that won't work with the new YouTube app. They don't list the NSZ-GS7 and GS8 on the list of incompatible devices. They also give a picture of 2 YouTube icons and they say devices that currently have the white YouTube icon will work with the new app - while devices with a black YouTube icon won't work.

Sony From 20 April 2015 Google will no longer support certain older YouTube Apps

This is a bit confusing because even my Logitech Revue has the white YouTube icon. Before I was pretty sure that Honeycomb GTV devices wouldn't be supported - but this blog on the Sony UK web site kind of raises a question mark. Just wanted to pass this along for whatever it's worth. Hopefully somebody from Google can clarify.

8. ChrisG8

I think the Sony UK site is wrong but until this change is made, it won't be known with certainty what is actually going to happen and which devices won't run the new app. I think the Sony NSZ-GU1 will be the only Sony Google TV model that will work but I would like to be wrong since I don't own that one.

9. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

my NSZ gs7 gave up the ghost... so i just got a refurb NSZ GS8.. because for all the things gtv got wrong... being a cable box addition was not one of them.... well any way.... heard about the youtube dropping GTV in april thing... and i just emailed Sony USA tech support.. this is the email i received about the issue..

Thank you for contacting Sony Support.

Thank you for being loyal to Sony. I hope you’re doing well.

We apologize for delay in reply.

I understand that you want clarification regarding the Youtube termination in your device.

I want to clarify you that the Google TV model number (NSZ-GS8) that you have provided will work with the youtube and there is no termination on your device.

We appreciate for your time and patience. Have a great day!

If you need any additional information feel free to stop by our chat room again using the same email address.

If you would like to be the first to know about our latest products and receive exclusive offers, please sign up for our newsletter:Stay Connected

The Sony Email Response Team
    C753
    Maverick

snip----

Visit www.Sony.com/4K to see the latest information on our new Sony 4K Ultra HD Televisions

im not sure about this still... seems they would just cut honeycomb all together.. so will not know untill april 20 what the score is... but i do know that some sony bravia customers are getting notice on the app its self that support is leaving... so we will see...

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. CatfishRivers

I believe all Google TV devices are using the same YouTube app. The new Android TV devices (the official Google Android TV devices) have their own YouTube app. If some Google TV devices manufactured in 2012 (or earlier) will lose YouTube support while the Sony NSZ-GS8 will maintain support then I can see 2 possible explanations for this:

1) The manufacture date for the Sony NSZ-GS8 was actually 2013 - while the NSZ-GS7 has a manufacture date of 2012. The GS8 is essentially the same box as the GS7 - the difference being that the GS8 comes with the voice remote. So one would think that if the GS8 is supported the GS7 will be supported also.

2) It could be that the new YouTube app is reliant on device firmware (and not the Android OS). In fact there are YouTube apps that run on devices that don't run android at all. So in this scenario perhaps only first generation Google TV devices will lose YouTube support - because they haven't received firmware updates in a long time. I believe out of all the GTV manufacturers Sony was probably the best with firmware support - so that could be a reason why the new YouTube app would work on the NSZ-GS8. (I don't know for sure what devices will and won't work with the new YouTube app).

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  11. ChrisG8

We still don't know which Google TV devices, if any, will have a YouTube app after the announced end of support. I don't think the GS7 or GS8 will and I am certain if one does, both will, since the boxes are identical.

12. jschall

jschall Member

I'm confused as to the meaning of the word "support" in this context.

Google says "we will no longer support the YouTube app on certain device models from 2012 and older".

Does that mean that the old YouTube app on my GS7 will no longer play YouTube videos after April 20th?

Or does it simply mean that Google developers will no longer correct any bugs in the old app?

What do you think "support" means in this case?

13. ChrisG8

I am pretty sure it means the Google TV YouTube app won't work with YouTube, YouTube is being changed and it is either impossible or not worth the effort to offer a Google TV app to use with the new YouTube. It might work somewhat but not well enough to bother with is my guess but as I indicated before, we won't know precisely until it happens.

If it really only means no further updates, bug fixes or enhancements are coming, then it might work well enough to use for years but I don't think that is what is going to happen.

14. ChrisG8

There was a recent update to the YouTube app so I updated it. I had been using a really old version, I don't know how many updates I was behind but I like the new app, it seems to work well. What is going to happen still isn't clear to me but when it happens, I will know then.

In an unrelated note, TiVo notified me that the TiVoHD YouTube app will no longer work later this month. I never use that anyway so it won't be missed, I use the Google TV YouTube app. I suspect whatever is being done to YouTube later this month is the cause of both of these apps being discontinued.

15. Travel

Travel Active Member

I just got a YouTube app update on the GS8.

Installed the update and went to the app.

In the app (that has a new format) I clicked "sign in" on the sidebar. A box pops up to click to sign in.

Clicking this box, a mesage appears, quote:
    "To sign in to your YouTube account:

1) go to youtube.com/activate

2) Type in the code (and it gives a code)

We'll do the rest and confirm on screen shortly."
    ...............................................................................................

So, I went to YoutTube.com/activate and there's a page indicating to type in the code. I did this, and a message appears telling you to "return to your device."

I returned to the YouTube app and the same exact procedure as above presented itself: clicked the "sign in," then clicked the "sign-in pop-up box" and got the same exact message only a new code was given to type in on the YouTube.com/activate page.

I repeated the same procedure again with the exact same results: In other words, nothing happened but a new code given in the app to type in on the site's activate-page all over again. It just keeps repeating with no way to sign in or open the app (other than the above quoted sign in message procedure).

Bottom line: the app, since this update, is now inaccessible.

I thought that I'd post this to see if anyone knows a way around this. If not, I'm probably going to "uninstall update" in the GoogleTV "manage applications" setting.

Also, I haven't been able to access the Google Play Store app from the "all apps" section's Play Store icon for quite a while. Just get a black screen and a loading circle. Oddly, on updates to apps, I can update apps when clicking the update notice in the "notifications" icon on the GoogleTV home page.

Also, the "Prime Time" app hasn't worked for a long while, either; can't add movies/shows to the list as the "search/add" doesn't work.

This may be a factory reset situation, but it seems like it's a worse situation than that.

When the best features of GoogleTV stop working, F this bullshit, I'm getting a Nvidia Sheild and a Chromebit.

16. jschall

jschall Member

@Travel: Wait! Before you throw away your GS8 - I feel your pain, having gone through the same confusion. When the new "app" asks you to go to youtube.com/activate, you're supposed to do so from ANOTHER device, like a PC, phone or tablet. There, you are supposed to enter the code from the TV, and then return to "your device", i.e., Google TV.

Once I had figured that out, I am able to stay logged in to the new Youtube "app" on my GS7.

But it's not really an app, it's running Youtube from Chrome.

Yes, you can uninstall all updates and then re-install version 1.7.6, which you can readily find on the Web.

17. Travel

Travel Active Member

Thanks, jschall, much appreciated.

I don't have access to another device to do the activation right now, but I uninstalled the current version, and then reinstalled version 1.7.6 from the aptoide app. Worked like a charm.

18. jschall

jschall Member

@Travel: Glad I could help. We are not alone in being pissed off at what Google did to the GTV Youtube app - see the discussion on Google Plus (when you can access a computing platform other than your GS8 :) ).

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  19. ChrisG8

I only recently updated to 1.7.6 so I will wait to see what happens to it in a couple of weeks.

20. CatfishRivers

Interesting! Do you mean that the latest version of the GTV YouTube update is actually a "web app" and not a real android app anymore? From your description it sounds as though the new GTV YouTube update transforms YouTube into a 'TV friendly' web app that runs on Chrome?

If so - perhaps this is Google's way of keeping YouTube going on GTV (after the April 20th cut-off date) when some devices are supposed to lose YouTube support. In other words the future of YouTube on (most) GTV devices is seemingly with the Chrome browser - albeit there will be a 'TV friendly' web version.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1