Quantcast

Google to announce Android-TV at Google/IO in June.!!

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ulises1954, May 30, 2014.

1. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I just find this new information about the New Google-TV... Hope that this is good news to all of us Google-TV users...

http://phandroid.com/2014/05/30/android-tv-google-io-new-details-emerge/

Powered by Pano, focused on gaming: Google to announce Android TV at Google I/O in June ? Tech News and Analysis

So at last, Something is going on, but I think that since nothing had been said about the Google-TV Upgrade, may be the SONY NSZ-GS7/GS8 have been already Discontinued, and we will have to go and Get a New Pulse-Plus with Updated Processor, to use this new Google Android-TV.??

Last edited: May 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 4
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

A couple of things that were mentioned in the GigaOm article:

1) No Nexus TV is planned - Android TV will be an OS for OEMs.

2) Casting ability is supposed to built into Android TV.

3) There was no mention about HDMI IN - IMO it will be a part of the Android TV OS - however OEMs will have flexibility to include or not include HDMI pass-through at their discretion. I think that in order to attract more OEMs - Google will be more flexible with their requirements then they were with GTV.

It will be interesting to see who the hardware partners are for Android TV. Will Sony & Vizio be up for taking another crack at it with Google? I'm thinking maybe the Hisense Pulse Pro will launch with the Android TV KitKat software or else it will launch with Jellybean and then update to KitKat within a few months. So either way it would seem to me that Hisense is going to be in as a partner.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

If Android TV comes with HDMI input and merging of traditional TV with internet TV, that means Android TV is really still Google TV with a name change. I would assume a newer operating system will mean gaming apps will be important for the platform but for those that don't care about Android gaming, it may be no more than a minor upgrade from Google TV.

4. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

I really don't know if this new Android-TV will leave us all Google-TV users in the Cool more than before... Or if the Now Old Jelly-Bean Update never will happen!!

The truth is that at least now it seems that Google will make things better, but at the cost of abandoning the previous Google-TV 2nd Generation Units like SONY's NS-GS7/GS8...!!

I Really Hope that if Google can not release this newer Android-TV OS to the 2nd Generation Google-TV's, at least they will release the KITKAT or Jelly-Bean Update...

5. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

We don't know what it is going to mean for the existing Google TV boxes in service. I still think we will see an update to at least some of the second generation models but there is no guarantee. Will any new apps for Android TV run on the existing Google TV boxes? We will know the answers at some point but Google hasn't answered those questions yet.

6. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Well one thing is certain - because the Android TV won't be a Nexus device - there's no way it will be able to match the hardware specs of the Fire TV for only $99. That means the software/content will have to be better than Fire TV to sell well IMO.

7. Travel

Travel Active Member

No specific mention of new boxes so, as far as boxes, the Pulse Pro is still going to be "it." Possibly, I suppose, there could be an announcement at I/O of a manufacturer producing a from-scratch, AndroidTV box.

I don't like the idea of a home page content-appearance being "chosen" by the software, although there was a reference in the articles that choosing your own apps would be an option. But, that may not mean that, as an option, you populate the home page with whatever apps you want, but rather it may just mean that you can "go to" an "all apps" section and launch your own installed, individual apps.

The other thing that i'm thinking about is: is the Pulse Pro a product where the software is designed by this new Google "AndroidTV team" or is it the last of the "GoogleTV-Chrome team" designed software running with the enhanced ARM chip and Jelly Bean updated.

In other words, did the designers of the new AndroidTV to be displayed at 2014 Google I/O have a hand in the software of the Pulse Pro? This transfer of design control may be where the built-in Chromecast got lost through the cracks.

8. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure these articles are really telling us anything, other than that Google is still focused on providing a platform for the smart TV market. Not surprising given that the only new activity that's gone on recently with Google TV recently has been with smart TV's.

I know the article said "Android TV won't be another device", but that's because it's going to be a platform for various devices.

I don't think a Nexus TV device is ruled out at all, but the lack of any leaks since December is concerning.

But for reference, the FCC filings for the device that would become Chromecast were making waves in May of last year well before the release of the product in July; and it was just May 9th of this year when there was a leak that two new devices were showed up in the Android source, and that one of them ("Molly") looked suspiciously like a a streaming box. On the other hand, the FCC filing for Amazon TV only leaked out days before Amazon announced and started shipping.

If Google plans to go for an announce & ship strategy like Amazon did, then they may very well say nothing at Google I/O about their own device. Most importantly the strategy makes sense, because smart TVs needs smarts and hence the cost of adding Android TV to them is fairly low. A streaming box, otoh, has to compete in a very tight/cost-sensitive market where the OEMs have had NO success.