Quantcast

Google Study Reveals Growing Live TV Piracy

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 2, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google study reveals growing live TV piracy | News | TechRadar (click for full article)

"New research from Google and PRS for Music reveals that unauthorised live TV streams are the biggest form of web piracy in the UK, and the fastest growing.

The study, which is the biggest of its kind to date, reveals that in the last year alone, illegitimate live TV streaming has shot up by 61 per cent with just over half of the sites examined by Google and PRS offering links to live TV streams."

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  2. Aloysius

Aloysius New Member

Yet have these shows more available to the public (even at a decent price) and I am sure we will see the numbers continue moving up in subscribers

Give the public what they want in a reasonable and easy manner and companies will be shocked at the publics reaction

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Most of these pirate sites wouldn't exist if there weren't scum advertisers willing to spend money for ads on these sites.

• Like Like x 2
  4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am sorry, I just don't agree with that statement at all. Netflix streaming, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, all available for $8/month or less. There may be some programming from other providers that is priced higher than I would like but that is at the discretion of the rights owner, because it is higher than I want doesn't give me the right to just take it. I am in awe that the prices right now are so affordable for cord cutters and hope it doesn't change. No bandwidth fees, low monthly access fees or free streaming with ads, I am very happy. The best streaming service I have seen is Vudu, everyday a 99 cent Vudu rental is offered, if I want it, I buy it and have 30 days to view it. I am renting about 4 movies a month from Vudu, great deal to my way of thinking. Other movies I want aren't available at 99 cents, so what, I can just wait, plenty to watch using Google TV, a PS3, a PC, or an antenna on the roof that is affordable.

People wanting to justify something that is wrong for nonsense reasons have been doing it forever and they won't stop now but to complain that streaming is priced too high is disingenous to me. Also disc prices and disc rental prices are great, Redbox, Blockbuster online or Netflix disc rentals are all priced right in my opinion. I love Blu-ray, my favorite way to watch a movie at home, I have hundreds of Blu-ray discs purchased for less than $5 used or new and hundreds more purchased between $5 and $10. I don't break the law and copy Blu-ray discs or DVDs, I buy or rent at what I consider very fair prices considering it might cost $100,000,000 or more to make the movie.

5. Aloysius

Aloysius New Member

I don't disagree that piracy will exist no matter what but the regular Joe wants content and it to be easy and cheap. iTunes exploding quicky is no coincidence and neither is Netflix during the high years of use.

I quit Hulu due to paying for limited shows and ads. I still can't find my favorite shows these days on all video services that I want. I want to see movies no in the theatre but for some reason not on rental or on demand for weeks. Why can i not get these?

Of course the video companies have done TREMENDOUS to grow in the last few years but it still is lacking, imo.

It is no coincidence that the video services with content continue growing in subscribers. PEOPLE WILL PAY for what they want.

6. frozengal

frozengal New Member

yup i agree with you mate