Quantcast

Google Still Teasing Android TV Coming Soon; Asus Nexus Player Could be First Android TV

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Sep 15, 2014.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Back in June at Google I/O, Android TV was first teased. Ever since then, Google has had a "Coming Soon" landing page up so you can sign up for more info. At that time, Google said that Android TV would launch in the Fall.

It's September now, which means Fall is right around the corner, and the first trickle of intel has been captured. According to Liliputing.com, It appears that Asus is working on a "Nexus Player" which could be the first Android TV device. Supposedly, the device will launch along-side Android L, which actually makes perfect sense. It was always expected that Android TV would officially launch when Google announces Android L and the other new Nexus devices coming. That is currently scheduled for October.

Getting back to this mysterious Asus Nexus Player, we find some things to like about the device. The device will be optimized to let users stream a variety of internet video from sites like YouTube and Netflix. It will also handle music from iHeart Radio, TuneIn and others.

The device recently showed up in a benchmark online and here are the specs listed:
    • 1.8 GHz Intel Quad-core processor with PowerVR G6430 graphics
    • 1GB of RAM
    • 6GB of storage
    • WiFi
    • Android L
    Supposedly, quite a few other OEMs are planning on introducing Android TV devices, including Razer, Sony, Sharp, Philips, and TP Vision. Most of these devices will simply be Smart TVs using Android TV as the OS of choice.

Sound off and let us know what you think of this revamped version of Google TV.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Unless Android L handles memory allocation much better than the Android versions I use, 2GB RAM would sure be my preference. I have tablets and Google TV devices with only 1GB RAM and freeing memory so the devices will run acceptably is something I do often, 2GB RAM would surely make that step unnecessary or at least be required far less frequently. I can live with it if I have to to but would prefer to not be bothered with it.

3. sarreq

sarreq Member

I'm just hoping they keep the HDMI pass through, I certainly use my co-star far more than my bluray player because of it

4. ChrisG8

I have seen nothing that makes me believe the Android TV boxes will have HDMI input.

5. deadringer28

deadringer28 Active Member

Each OEM will decide if they put in HDMI pass through. If you are buying a TV it's in there. However this does not mean that search and recommendations will be able to get results from Live TV like Primetime does. Buddy boxes and game consoles will most likely not have them. This does not appear to be Google's strategy anymore so I would think it does not make sense to implement it.

6. ChrisG8

What would HDMI pass through mean on a TV? Pass through to some other HDMI input?

7. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

you sound like me..I'm very dedicated to Vizio Costar,and I think they can do alot more with it,than has not even been touched upon..I hope they managed to move the costar into the android tv..that would be awesome and save time and money

8. ChrisG8

There is no chance the Co-Star will be updated to run the new Android TV operating system, whether it is Android 4.4 or Android 5.0. We don't know whether or not Google TV boxes will run new apps intended for Android TV, but it may be possible some of those apps will run on Google TV.

I will just continue to use Google TV for most streaming and other smart TV functions, it is far better suited for my needs than any Android TV box I have seen described so far.

• Like Like x 1
  9. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

Anyways you won't be able to read posts in here or add your opinion.I hooked up my old Revue to my son in laws TV so w he could browse some without using their laptop.This is going to be interesting to watch and see how Google's streamer pans out.

10. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

Yeah I'm with you there so far..I do wish vizio stayed in the game with the costar,and released what else,a 3rd box,with ATV on board.I will say they're the best customer service par excellence! plus their hold music rocks..gotta love ELO while you wait lol1

But if I must,I'm hoping that Sony or Philips had something bette than what we'v seen so far ATV/Nexus wise

11. Alaska4Me

Alaska4Me Member

I

still have my Revue..but I think it also needs a new ac adapter.
    one thing I loved about the revue,was they had the app bar on the side,as opposed to the costar pop out from the left