Quantcast

Google still isn’t giving up on tv, says google tv update coming at google i/o

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Mar 18, 2013.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

It looks like Google has not given up on Google TV and is still continuing to push it forward. Perhaps one could argue that it is an idea that was a bit ahead of its time, but you have to hand it to Google, they have remained committed to it. Here's a quote,

Continue Reading @: Google TV: Google promises new TV news at I/O press event | BGR

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

The headline is a little misleading. Google says they will release some "news" about GTV at I/O - however Google has made no mention about an OS "update" to be announced at I/O.

3. bidger

bidger Member

Installed Jellybean on my HP Touchpad week before last and my SONY NSZ-GT1 is still stuck on Honeycomb.

4. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I have the YouTube video in my YouTube to watch list with instructions how to install Jelly Bean, I think that is CM10, I can't get the courage to do it but I am sure I will eventually. I am not much of a hacker and it took me hours to get CM9 installed on my HP TouchPad and that was a while ago so I have forgotten what to do, I know just to follow the step by step instructions, nothing else.

How is the TouchPad Jelly Bean working? I like the TouchPad well enough, it is my only tablet but I like the Google TV version of Android much better, even if it isn't the latest Android version. I find Google TV much more useful for the things I do than a tablet to begin with and the Google TV modified version of Android is just easier for me. I never use the TouchPad for forum participation,

Of course I would welcome OS updates for Google TV when they are ready and an improvement over what we have now but updating just to get whatever it is Jelly Bean offers means nothing to me.

5. Scuzzo

Scuzzo Active Member

im not sure what else google can do besides come to an agreement with comcast, abc, nbc, hulu, perhaps they can fork the new boxes toward icecream or JB, these boxes have enough horse power to do that.. or perhaps they will open the NDK... so we can get some real dev work.. because if you take a look at the google tv play store,, its dead.. they have not make the platform attractive to app devs... so they need to re-think GTV position on android.. because even with out the cable tv aspect of GTV... these new android boxes move much faster in terms of development... while google released a few more content apps, and a speak and search.. the new android boxes are moving to 2gb mem and quad core cpu... and what ever comes after Jellybean... i hope its a something cool and significant and not just same old thing.... but im not even sure if after the last 2 launches and how it was so ill received by the public,, just what could they do to turn all this bad PR around?

6. bidger

bidger Member

I've found that once porting ICS, then JB, I very rarely boot to WebOS, though it still remains an option in my Moboot screen. As far as the YouTube vid, I've used how to's from Reverend Kyle both times and found his vids and instructions quite easy to follow. His CM10 step through is here:

I don't think Google TV is bad by any means, matter of fact I think it's still superior to the other Smart TV interfaces I've experienced. I'd just like to see some version of a new platform 2 and a half years in.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Djinn5150

Djinn5150 New Member

I can only hope they open the NDK, there would be so many more devs attracted, update to ICS or JB would be even better, both would be amazing. I would love to see XBMC support on GTV, I don't think it could get any better then that myself.

8. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

They do need to make it easier for GTV to run more Android apps. XBMC would be very nice. The new Plex, available only to PlexPass members while in beta, is really quite good.

Philip

9. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

At minimum they should announce NDK support, if the only thing they have up their sleeve is new media partners then they might as well pack up and cancel the I/O. My expectations are low and don't expect anything Earth shattering, I hope it proves to be wrong.

There is a lot of information at the following link and very helpful people who will hand-hold you through the whole process.

The *official* Android on the HP Touchpad owner's thread 10-20-2011 - Slickdeals.net

10. chopper

chopper Active Member

The ability to mirror anything you do on the Nexus 7 on the TV would be great. So I play a vid, run you tube, launch a web site, play a game, start a Skype call, Launch Any App on the Nexus 7 and all of the above is displayed on my GTV.

They must Launch Primetime elsewhere to keep GTV alive outside the USA. Better yet sign up more partners for built in DVR just like Dish Network does in the USA!

I don't really think we will see any of this and GTV will continue it's slide of death.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2013
  11. deepikarai

deepikarai New Member

Google must update himself for a live TV. Even Google can create a new section in YouTube. This will give me two benefits, one is we can see both live and missing videos and we did not have to go for two different sites.

12. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Apart from sports, news and similar activities there is no longer "live TV". Google should not be adapting to the old cable/network TV model. That is in the past and is going away rapidly. Watching what you want and when you want to appears to be increasingly appealing. The irony here is that Google makes its money from advertising. Advertising is one of the things that is destroying TV.

philip

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk 4