Quantcast

Google Shutdowns to Include Google Video

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 3, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Shutdowns Continue: iGoogle, Google Video, Google Mini & Others Are Killed | TechCrunch (click for full article)

"Google is continuing to shut down services which aren't core to its business - something it has been actively doing ever since Google co-founder Larry Page took over as CEO. Today, the tradition continues as Google is announcing the shuttering of five more services, the most notable of which are Google Video and iGoogle, its personalized homepage offering.

Clearly iGoogle has outlived its usefulness. The service dates back to a time when homepage portals were people's entry points to the Internet. These days, we just never close our browser tabs, it seems. iGoogle is getting the ax on November 1st, 2013, which is far enough away for users to export their data, says Google.

Another big-name closure is Google Video, a service which has long been overshadowed by Google-owned YouTube. It's actually surprising that Google Video is still up-and-running, given that it stopped accepting uploads in May 2009. Google Video's shutdown is arriving much sooner, however, so if you've dragged your feet in moving videos over to YouTube, now is the time. Google Video is no more as of August 20th."

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google: The World's Most Inscrutable Company | Dan Costa | PCMag.com (click for full article)

"Google I/O 2012, by all accounts, was one of the most dramatic and eventful developer conferences the company has ever held. Google launched Android 4.1, the Nexus 7 tablet, and Google Compute Engine. It even gave a full-on demo of a remarkably functional-even fashionable-pair of augmented reality goggles dubbed Google Glass. Amazing stuff. I don't think there is another company that is investing in as many cool, cutting-edge projects as Google. Then again, I can't name another company that has had as many flops, either."

3. thegrimmling

thegrimmling New Member

I know they disabled uploading on Google Video years ago, but the service was still around?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yes, I have a whole library of hard to find movies & documentaries on Google Videos that are not available on Youtube.

I'm pissed...

Movies like "The House Of Saddam," and "Countdown to Looking Glass, most of which I had been searching for a long time.

But I do understand...

Thanks for the heads up,Catfish Rivers.

Carl