Quantcast

Google set-top box hook into TV sets internal DTV receiver?

Discussion in 'Google TV Feature Wish Lists' started by djangofan, Dec 28, 2010.

1. djangofan

djangofan New Member

I have a Sony NSZ-GT1, and when I bought it , I expected it to be capable of showing the TV signal from my Sony W-4100 tv set, but it didn't . I was pretty disappointed because I dont like the ad-ware of the Comcast cable HD tuner. So, basically, i cant user the picture-in-picture feature of the Google TV.

My suggestions is that, for people who don't have Digital Cable or Satellite TV service, but still have a basic cable wire into their house, It would be nice if the Google set-top box could somehow (via USB device with CATV OR via the HDMI connection???) hook into TV sets internal DTV receiver? Also, I was also disappointed that the Google TV remote could control the volume but not the channel changing.... very disappointed.

If this isn't possible, would another alternative be the ability to show IP-TV or other over the internet TV signals. The only option I can think of is to buy the "Sony RDR-VXD655 HD VCR" device to replace the Comcast set top box but I want to avoid the cost.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  2. galfert

galfert Active Member

Google TV was designed to be used with a set top box (cable/satellite/over the air box). What you are suggesting is not possible unless someone makes a Google TV device with coax input and a tunner.

3. TheSanTechnologist

TheSanTechnologist New Member

You should be able to control the TV channels as well, you might have to map the channel up and channel down keys via settings.

As far as basic cable, most cable providers have moved away from allowing analog cable without an STB, there have been some users who have taken OTA DVRs to handle the coax + OTA HD signals and allow an HDMI source for TV content (plus the nice addition of a DVR).

4. galfert

galfert Active Member

He can't map buttons because he has the Google TV from Sony. Mapping of buttons is only possible on the Logitech Revue.