Quantcast

Google Seeking To Sell Motorola Mobility Set-Top Box Unit

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 7, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google seeking to sell Motorola Mobility (Click for full article)

"Google is working to sell Motorola Mobility's TV set-top box business even before Google takes over the Libertyville-based smartphone maker, according to a report in the New York Post.

Google has hired investment bank Qatalyst Partners LP to find a buyer, the Post reported Wednesday.

No one from Google or Motorola was available to comment immediately.

Experts say the TV set-top box business is becoming obsolete as television companies increasingly use software, Internet streaming and other emerging technologies to deliver content.

Google's $12.5 billion takeover of Motorola Mobility, whose Android-based smartphones have struggled to compete with the iPhone and other rivals, could take place at any time since it has won most of the required regulatory approvals.

Google prizes Mobility's portfolio of 17,000 patents and 7,500 patent applications as a way to better compete in the smartphone and tablet computing industry.

Mobility split from the old Motorola late last year and took $100 million in a 10-year state tax incentive deal to keep its headquarters in Libertyville.

The rest of Motorola, called Motorola Solutions, is based in Schaumburg and makes bar-code scanners, public safety radios and radio-frequency identification readers."

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

Google looks to ditch Motorola's STB arm | News | TechRadar (click for full article)

"But what about Google TV?

Google TV - not set for a Moto rebrand
    Here's an interesting tech U-turn: Google is apparently trying to sell off Motorola's set top box making arm before the two companies become one later this year.

After you get over the revelation that Motorola makes set top boxes as well as rubbish-looking phones, we have no doubt you'll be all, "What the what? Doesn't Google want to make its own Google TV boxes?"

Apparently not, which is less surprising when you consider the search giant's move to embed the Google TV OS right into Google TV sets.

Bonus patent news
    It seems as though the set top box could be going the way of the dodo as more and more TVs come with built-in web connectivity and apps; sure, Sky and Virgin Media are still boxing clever, but if you had the choice between buying a new TV and a web-connected STB or a new web-connected TV, which would you choose?

The news of the STB sell-off comes as Motorola is ordered to hand over details of the Google acquisition to Apple.

The judge presiding over the Apple v Motorola patent spat in the US passed the order after Apple requested the information because "the Android/Motorola acquisition discovery is highly relevant to Apple's claims and defenses".

3. CatfishRivers

I'm really disappointed to hear this news - I was hoping that Google would use Motorola to build their own "killer" GTV set-top box. I envisioned a box with cable card capability - to be partly subsidized by Google and offered for sale at retail (no requirement to rent it from cable co.)

IMO that would of really been the defining moment in which GTV really grows wings and takes off.

From what I've seen thus far - hardware companies have been less than enthusiastic about embracing GTV in a big way. Oh well......

4. CatfishRivers

This is a link to the original story from the NY Post:

EXCLUSIVE: Google looking to unload Motorola's TV set-top box business - NYPOST.com

I found this tidbit from the article interesting:

"Other sources have confirmed that, while it is still early in the process, Google is highly likely to sell off the business, in part because cable operators have shunned buying boxes from Motorola ahead of Google's purchase."

5. halox

halox New Member

We'll see how this pans out. I never really envisioned how the set-top box side would affect us. I think Google should just keep working on getting Google TV in the hands of as many manufacturers as they can ... like Android. I wouldn't have wanted a Motorola box with Google - I have no use for a cable box. I enjoy my TiVo. But I don't even think they need Google TV to get into my TiVo.

They should continue to do as they are - work with TV manufacturers to get directly into the sets (like Sony and, hopefully soon, Samsung and Vizio). That's a powerful future right there. Bypass any other boxes and be the front-end.

But they need to really work hard to make it easier for the better apps to get onto the TV. Have you clicked on the GAMES in the marketplace lately? Miserable.

6. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't understand Google's plans for Google TV at all, not everybody wants a TV with built in internet TV access. I had hoped set top boxes would be important, not that I want a digital cable STB but I wanted to benefit by having access to applications and improvements that would come along with selling millions of Motorola STBs for cable with Google TV. A big market for Google TV is important if the product is going to improve and I don't see cable marketshare declining so rapidly that it is unimportant. Maybe something will make sense in the near future but right now I don't get it.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hi Chris

Your thinking is below the scope of what is coming. Chris, the cable companies are SCARED. This is real. They are envisioning a world based on a whole new platform, that they should have been ready for. But like most companies that are enjoying success at the moment, they put off their concerns and decided to seek profits at any cost. Well, we were the ones paying for that ill-fated decision. Every time my bill exceeded my allowable budget for entertainment costs, they would offer a discount. But they would seek revenue from sneaky fees and other nefarious tactics.

Ya have to understand the new formula. On the stock market, a new user of any system is viewed as an asset. So, what is better than killing off your own subscribers, and bringing em back w/a better deal later. BTW, all those special offers are done on the backs of the most loyal users who would never think of defecting.

They're all doing this...

Try and look at Google TV as a forerunner of this revolution in how WE ultimately control what we choose to watch. A world without cable. No more integrating reality shows as news. I was watching a news site where they had an article on a reality TV show. I thought it was a news worthy subject until I found out that the reality show was owned by the same media corp that owned the dang newsite I was watching.

Whether it's GTV, AppleTV, or some other source, all will help in breaking down the wall of the media giants who are simply out of control.

JMHO

Carl

8. CatfishRivers

Google is Asking Way Too Much for Motorola's TV Set-Top Box Business - Forbes (click for full article)

"After the U.S. and European regulatory bodies signed off on its $12.5 billion acquisition of Motorola Mobility, Google is reportedly looking to sell off its TV set-top box business, according to several news reports.

This seems to be quite a departure from earlier claims by Google's CEO Larry Page that he plans to leverage that business in his plans to "revolutionize the living room." The report claims that Google is looking for no less than $2.5-$4 billion for the business, which we think is an aggressive price given the value of this business."

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012