Quantcast

Google Search - Help!

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by guest, Nov 16, 2012.

1. guest

guest Active Member

The other day, I started getting the same annoying ad on every website I visited. I went to the Google ad preferences page and deleted a few things. I'm not even sure what i did now. But after doing a Google search, the first page of results now are sprinkled with United Kingdom and Australia results! I never got those types of results on the first page before.

I've spent the past few hours trying to fix the problem, without success. After deciding to switch to Bing, all their results were in Spanish!!! So, it's back to Google. Does anyone now how to fix this problem? I'm using a Logitech Revue. My IP is in Latin America, so I don't know why Google would be giving me U.K. and Australia results.

On the advanced search results page, you can set a location, but it's just for one search. Even so, I had the same results after changing the preferred location on the advanced search page.

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Try going to system settings, then "search", and then click "clear shortcuts".

If that doesn't work then try going to settings and "force stop" and "Clear data" from the search app.

Also try going to Chrome browser settings and clear browsing history.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  3. guest

guest Active Member

I did as you advised. Then did a Google search for the printer "canon mp780". The results I got were as before. The first page of results: Canon USA/Canon U.K./Reviews CNET/Staples/Canon Europe/ Amazon U.K./databazaar.com. Amazon U.K. was on the first page of results, but not Amazon U.S.!

4. CatfishRivers

I'm thinking that there might be a bug in Google's search algorithm. Try your search from this web site (see link below) and see if you get better results:

Skweezer

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the following Google web page you can block unwanted sites from search and turn off (or edit) search results. Have you tried doing that?

http://www.google.com/preferences?h..._pw.r_cp.r_qf.&bpcl=38625945&biw=1024&bih=576

Last edited: Nov 16, 2012
  5. guest

guest Active Member

When I search "google cloud print" "laser printer", the first result is this URL Google Cloud Print Ready Printers (edit: from Hong Kong http://www.printware. co.uk /Products/ Google-Cloud-Print-Ready-Printers. html

When I search the same term through your Skweezer link, that URL is on the first page, too - 13th position.

That google preferences link has very limited options. I don't want to block specific URL's. And saving English as the preferred language winds up giving me Australian, Britain and Hong Kong search results.

If I go to Google's Advanced Results, I can acheive the results that I need. But only if I search through the Advanced Results page for every search. In other words, you can't save your preferred region.

From what I've been able to read, Google takes a month to fix screw-ups like this. You must notify them of their mis-reading of the IP address - that they have me located in the British Commonwealth, when it should be Latin America. Then wait. The company is too big and impersonal. I'd like to find another search provider, but you get used to one service and it's hard to switch.

What's really bizarre is that the "offending ad" was from IP Vanish IPVanish VPN ! When I go to the website What's My IP, it shows the correct one. But somehow it's not being correctly transmitted to Google.

So, going to advanced search, selecting my preferred region for search reults - and doing that each time that I do a search is the only solution that I have at this time.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  6. CatfishRivers

Hi. You had mentioned that you tried Bing search but the results were all in Spanish.

I'm curious how Yahoo search works for you:

Yahoo! Search - Web Search

Something else that you might want to try is signing out of your Google account before trying a search.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another "workaround" you can try until Google gets this issue corrected. Have you tried using an anonymous web surfing tool to do your search? Just type in the URL for google.com into the box on the anonymouse web site - and then your IP is masked on the Google site:

http://anonymouse.org/anonwww.html

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  7. guest

guest Active Member

Even doing the Google search through anonymouse, the first URLwas the same printware.uk! "google cloud print" "laser printer" - Google Search [Anonymoused]

8. guest

guest Active Member

Yahoo isn't too bad. I may use that for awhile. Yahoo used to use Google for searches, now they use Bing. The new head of Yahoo is a former Google employee. It's odd that they are using Bing instead of Google.

Do you know which search engines uses Google? AOL?

9. Gaberlunzi

Gaberlunzi New Member

Taking a few wild shots in the dark... Go to Settings > Date, Time & Location, and make sure your location does not say you are in the UK.

Are you logged in to Google when you search? Go to your Google+ profile (if you have one), and make sure your location is correct.

10. guest

guest Active Member

My location says: United States. I'm not part of Google+. If you search for the Canon printer, model number MP780 using this term in quotation marks: "canon mp780", do you get different results than I did? The first page of results I got contained: Canon USA/Canon U.K./Reviews CNET/Staples/Canon Europe/ Amazon U.K./databazaar.com.

11. Gaberlunzi

Gaberlunzi New Member

I get USA results. No UK results at all on the first page. Do you get the same results regardless of whether you search from Google TV or from your PC? CatfishRivers provided a link above to preferences. You should also be able to enter a location there.

12. guest

guest Active Member

I don't have a PC, so I can't check that. I just posted the following in a reply to an earlier post that I made here:Google Groups

"My location on Google Latitude is the east coast of the United States.
    https://latitude.google.com/latitude/b/0

And my Google Account Activity Report correctly has my location in Central America.
    https://accounts.google.com/Service....com/settings/activity&hl=en&authuser=0&srr=1

So why is it when I do this one Google Search of two phrases in quotation marks: "google cloud print" "laser printer" - that the first four search results are from printware.co.uk???"
    ---
    I also sent an e-mail to Danny Sullivan at Search Engine Land: Must Read News About Search Marketing & Search Engines asking if he knows how to fix this problem. No reply yet, though. Nor to my post on the Google Product Forum.