Quantcast

Google Releases Chrome 29 Beta

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 16, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chrome 29 Beta Brings WebRTC and Web Audio API Support To Android (via Mowser) (click for full article)

by Frderic Lardinois - July 16, 2013

"Google today released the first beta version of Chrome 29 for desktop and Android. Most of the major changes in this update are happening on the Android platform, which now supports the Web Audio API for processing and synthesizing audio and WebRTC, the up-and-coming real-time communication API.

On the desktop (Windows, Mac and Linux), today's update introduces a tweak to Chrome's omnibox suggestions, which now take the recency of websites visited into account. The desktop version now also supports Google's VP9 codec for WebM video playback."

2. CatfishRivers

As a GTV user that loves the YouTube web site with the Chrome browser - this news about the Chrome 29 beta is disappointing for me.

Let me explain. The VP9 codec is Google's new codec that they plan on using for YouTube. Apparently thus far only the desktop Chrome 29 beta supports the VP9 codec. The GTV Jellybean update will come with what I believe is the mobile version of Chrome 26 (the android version). The fact that the GTV Jellybean update removes Flash from the Chrome browser supports my belief that the GTV browser is being positioned as a mobile browser.

VP9 is a form of HTML5. So hopefully with later releases of Chrome the GTV browser will add support for the VP9 codec. But it appears to me that without Flash and VP9 support the only way to view YouTube on GTV after the Jellybean update will be through the GTV YouTube app and perhaps the mobile version of the YouTube web site (currently the mobile YouTube site doesn't work on GTV devices): http://m.youtube.com/

Of course later there is a chance GTV browser can get VP9 support through an update. But if viewing the full desktop YouTube web site through the Chrome browser is important for you - I wouldn't count on that feature being available on GTV.

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...s-vp9-codec-nearly-done-youtube-will-use.html

Last edited: Jul 16, 2013
  3. CatfishRivers

It would be sweet if this video-chatting feature would eventually be supported on the GTV version of Chrome:

Chrome for Android beta?s update indicates plug-in free video is coming | Ars Technica

by Florence Ion - July 17, 2013

"Google yesterday pushed forward a significant update for Chrome for Android beta that will bring video chatting capabilities without the need for a plugin or extraneous application.

Developers will be able to create real-time communications applications with the WebRTC API, which Google says:

...consists of three independent components: getUserMedia, which provides access to the user's webcam and microphone; PeerConnection, which sets up calls with the ability to traverse NATs and firewalls; and DataChannels, which establishes peer-to-peer data communication between browsers.

These three features have been enabled in desktop Chrome for a while, and [yesterday's] release adds support in Chrome for Android."
    As mentioned, the feature lets you use the camera and microphone on your mobile device to video chat without any need for third-party plugins. When you visit a particular site, it will request that you give it permission, and then you'll be able to have a window-in-window chat with another individual. If you don't have anyone to chat with, you can still test the functionality for yourself."

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013