Quantcast

Google reader/listen equivalents?

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by lesmikesell, Oct 8, 2012.

1. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

I use google reader to organize news and podcast feeds from a PC web browser and frequently access them from the android phone apps. Are there equivalent google tv apps that track what you have already read or heard on other devices? Accessing the web page in chrome sort-of works but controlling it with the remote is horrible - I keep overshooting the articles as I read and it automatically marks them read (behavior I want in the PC where the controls work right...). There must be something better.

2. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

The only thing I know that works great with podcasts and google reader is the DoggCatcher app. It works with most video podcasts that your google tv will play as well as audio podcasts and even plain old rss feeds as well. I don't think it will sync with your other devices meaning you can't read rss feeds or listen to podcasts on it and have it sync with your reader account.

That said you can import your reader/listen podcasts and rss feeds in to it very easily if you do decide to get the program. You can buy the app at https://play.google.com/store/apps/...r.android.applications.doggcatcher.v1_0&hl=en

and you can check out the DoggCatcher website at DoggCatcher | Home of DoggCatcher the Android Podcatcher

3. mcozi

mcozi New Member

I am also a big fan of Reader. Use the keyboard shortcut J to advance to the next article (K takes you back one). Much easier than trying to use the trackpad.

I also agree with the previous response - Doggcatcher is a superior replacement for Listen. I made the switch on both GTV and on my phone (however the two don't sync).

4. lesmikesell

lesmikesell New Member

Thanks, but I have an assortment of devices and really want something that will track which things have been read/listened regardless of where it happens - that's kind of the whole point of aggregating the feeds into google in the first place. I've always thought that the android listen app was better than anything on an Apple device so I'm sort of surprised that google is dropping support instead of touting it as an advantage.

5. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

You can still use the android listen app on your older models of google tv but I don't think the newer google tv models support it as I have a Generation 1 Sony Google tv and the listen app still shows up on my device.

It disappeared when I reset the tv but came back when I browsed for podcasts and added one.