Quantcast

Google Posts I/O 2013 Schedule; Surprisingly No Sessions For GTV?

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, May 1, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google posts I/O 2013 session schedule, only one keynote this year (click for full article)

by Guarav Shukla - May 1, 2013

"Google I/O 2013 is just 14 days away and as always we will be seeing several new things from Google at this dev conference. The session schedule and agenda posted by Google suggest that we will only be one keynote speech this year at the conference.

There is still no clear idea on what to expect this year. As per reports, Android 5.0 has been delayed and we are likely to see Android 4.3, which won't be a major update. So, the keynote will most likely include little-little from Android, Chrome, Google TV and Google+.

Surprisingly, there seems to be no-sessions scheduled for Google TV this year, looks like after the dismal showing by this ambitious project, Google is losing interest in it.

Chrome seems to a major attraction at this year's I/O. We are likely to see a sneak peek at upcoming Chromebooks, probably including the rumoured Intel Haswell powered units.

Google will be live-streaming 35-40 per cent of the sessions as well as the keynote speech on Youtube, so even if you couldn't make it to Google I/O, you can watch part of it at your home.

You can find the full schedule and more at the source."

https://developers.google.com/events/io/ <---(click for full Google I/O schedule & information)

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Hmm. I'm hoping Google makes some GTV announcements during their I/O keynote speech.

I just checked and Google hasn't updated their GTV blog since January 4th. That is a bit odd IMO. Everything's very quiet on the GTV front.

3. CatfishRivers

4. CatfishRivers

Google Goes With Unified I/O Keynote (But Will It Unify Its Products?) - Liz Gannes - News - AllThingsD (click for full article)

by Liz Gannes - April 30, 2013

"For the past few years, Google's annual I/O developer conference has featured two days of morning keynote speeches, which are basically split into themes of announcements around the company's two main developer ecosystems: Android and Chrome.

However, the schedule for next month's edition of Google I/O just came out, and it features just a single day of keynote speechifying - a three-hour session on May 15.

Google hasn't said it will combine Android and Chrome going forward - though many people continue to think it would make sense as the two operating systems start to overlap more.

So the fact that the two topics will be condensed into one day is notable, especially after Chrome leader Sundar Pichai took leadership of Android after Andy Rubin stepped down in March.

Of course, Google isn't as simple as just those two units. I/O also hits right in the midst of the rollout of Google Glass, the wearable computer that debuted around the time of the conference last year and is just now becoming available to developers.

And in fact, Glass was the highlight of both days of the keynote in 2012, courtesy of Sergey Brin's elaborate skydiving stunt, which was replayed in full on day two. So, come to think of it, maybe just one day of content is a better fit.

In addition to the 2013 keynote, there will be multiple breakout sessions about Android, Chrome and Glass, as well as other topics like Google+, Google Maps, YouTube and Google Wallet."

5. hecareth

hecareth New Member

developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/326287482

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

Thanks for the post! It's good to know that their is a GTV developer session scheduled for Google I/O. Here is the link:

http://developers.google.com/events/io/sessions/326287482

"Android: As seen on TV!
    Christian Kurzke

Google TV gives developers a consistent Android platform to create and deliver applications, games and high quality media on the largest screen in the house. In this session we'll show you how to unlock the potential of the current Google TV devices and explain the new features of the next generation Google TV platform.

Christian Kurzke
    Christian Kurzke is Developer Advocate for Android on Google TV. Since the launch of Google TV Christian has worked with countless developers bringing their applications to Google TV and has given presentations about the "lessons learned" at conferences from Google IO and Droidcon to smaller local Android developer communities. He is also an open source enthusiast, in the past has been active in the Eclipse Foundation and has been working at the intersection of Linux and Java since the early 90s. Prior to Google, Christian worked in Motorola's Mobile Phone and Set-Top Box divisions and at SUN Microsystem's Java for Embedded Systems. He holds a Dipl. Inf. degree from University Erlangen, Germany, and an MBA from Santa Clara University.
    Christian Kurzke on Google+

When: May 17, 11:00AM - 11:40AM PDT
    Where: Room 5
    Level: Intermediate
    Track: Android"

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Maybe that was the 'surprise' that there is not going to be any GTV specific (non developer) announcements/sessions.....Surprise !!!!

8. CatfishRivers

What I expect to be unveiled at Google I/O 2013 (click for full article)

by Raveesh Bhalla - May 5, 2013

"With just ten days left for Google I/O to kick off, I can hardly contain my excitement. This edition will be the first time I'll be attending, and I will also be at the Google Developer Group Summit prior to the event.

So, what am I expecting to see at I/O this year?"

9. CatfishRivers

Interesting........

What We Can Learn From The Google I/O Session Schedule: Tons Of Gaming, Lower Latency Audio, Next-Gen Google TV, And More! (click for full article)

Summary: Wall-To-Wall Gaming, Low-Latency Audio?, An Android@Home Session? Maybe?, Next-Gen Google TV, Google Glass!, Chrome, Fireside Chats

by Ron Amadeo - May 7, 2013

"We are gearing up for I/O here at AP, and with the release of the I/O Sessions schedule, we've got an even clearer idea of what Google has in store for us.

Google I/O is a traditionally developer-oriented conference, but it's also always been a huge source of news about upcoming products. I/O is the one time of year when Googlers are allowed to show off their projects, so there's lots of news out there; you've just got to pay attention.

Didn't get a ticket to I/O? No problem! You can still join the geek party and watch all the action live (or not live, whatever) on YouTube. With something like 32 different Android-related sessions, the list can be a little overwhelming, so we figured it might be a good idea to pick out some of the potentially good ones.

There is, of course, the keynote speech, which is where all the major stuff is announced, but besides that, here's the stuff I'll be keeping an eye on:"

Last edited: May 7, 2013
  10. CatfishRivers

This app for the 2013 Google I/O sounds pretty cool (see link to article below). Too bad I went to Google Play Store and says the app is incompatible with my Logitech Revue (OS 3.1). Anybody able to get this app to work on your GTV device?

Google I/O Android App Updated For 2013 With A Ton Of New Features (click for full article)

by Ryan Whitwam - May 8, 2013

"As the start of Google I/O 2013 grows achingly close, Mountain View has seen fit to grace us with a pretty significant update of the official Google I/O app for this year's conference. For anyone attending the event, this app is going to be their golden ticket. The app should work on most Android form-factors (2.3 Gingerbread or higher), with a killer card-based UI that's consistent with Google's new design aesthetic. As for features, there's quite a lot going on:"

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the link to the app in Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.iosched

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  11. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It is incompatible with all three of my Google TV boxes but I installed it on a tablet computer.

12. CatfishRivers

Google Working On High-Resolution Nexus 7 For I/O Reveal, Android Notebooks Later This Year, Analyst Says | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Darrell Etherington - May 10, 2013

"Google's I/O developer conference is happening next week in San Francisco, and one of the big questions around what we'll see there includes hardware. Now KGI securities analyst Mingchi Kuo (via 9to5Google), who unlike other analysts actually has a good track record of predicting things accurately, has let slip that one big reveal will be an updated Nexus 7 tablet, with a 1920 x 1200 7-inch display, a 5 megapixel camera and a new sleek, light design for the same $199 price point as the current version.

The Asus-built tablet will boast a new Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, a "narrow bezel" screen with pixel density of 323 (pretty close to that of the iPhone 5) and physical dimensions that make it either very close to or even smaller than Apple's iPad mini. If true, that'll make it handheld, and with a Retina-quality display, at a price that absolutely undercuts Apple's $329 entry point with the mini."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also the following was mentioned in the article:

"Kuo says Google is still working on an a Google TV device which will compete with the existing Apple TV, which sounds like it might be a second, more feature-rich kick at the ill-fated Nexus Q can."

Last edited: May 10, 2013
  13. CatfishRivers

New Nexus 7 to be highlight of Google I/O as 'iPad mini 2' faces delay, analyst says (click for full article)

by AppleInsider staff - May 9, 2013

From the article:

"Finally, Kuo estimates that Google will launch an Android Book laptop, Google "over-the-top" (OTT) TV box and a smartwatch to compete with the likes of Apple, Microsoft and Amazon. These products aren't expected to make it to Google I/O, as the company is said to be in planning stages and is not yet close to manufacturing."

14. CatfishRivers

Hmmm... I just watched the entire 3.5 hour Google I/O keynote - and I didn't hear one single mention of Google TV.

Hopefully there will be some GTV news announced during the lone GTV developer session at Google I/O?

That GTV developer session will be held on May 17 (Friday) between 11 AM - 11:40 AM PDT. Stay tuned....

15. CatfishRivers

Last edited: May 15, 2013