Quantcast

Google play services missing

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by roypeled, Jun 25, 2014.

1. roypeled

roypeled New Member

I have a Sony Internet Player (nsz-gs8). dowloaded an app that was in the play store for the GTV, but when tried to run it, I got a message "Google Play Services is missing on your phone" and an option to get it, but when I clicked that I just got another error message. I have no idea what this is (got some idea now after googling it a bit) and why I don't have it. Grateful for any eye-opening explanation or guidance. Thanks, Roy

2. Travel

Travel Active Member

What's the name of the app?

I get this message on the "Zillow" app when clicking one of the features sometimes, but I just back button out of it, it goes away and it's not really a problem.

3. roypeled

roypeled New Member

No, this happened when I just tried to load the app for the first time, it wouldn't load, and with two different apps (that do roughly the same thing) - watchfreetv and livenowtv.

???

Thanks,

Roy

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

I downloaded those apps from the play store and I see what you mean. The apps just aren't fully compatible with the GS7/8. They work to a point but, for example, a video will play but only half the screen is visible. The apps probably work with the Jelly Bean update. Usually, if an app doesn't work at all, there will be a error message right in the Play Store that the app is "not compatible with your device." Apparently, with some apps that partially work, they'll install, but you'll get that error message that you experienced. It seems to have something to do with the app not recognizing the GS7/8, GoogleTV platform, and it thinks it's connecting with an Android phone and tells you that you don't have "Google Services" installed on your phone (which means the Jelly Bean update). That's how it looks to me anyway.

On another, similar subject: "third party apps" installing. Some will download and work, and some will download to the "All Apps" section of "GoogleTV Home," but upon opening the apps you can get no farther than a "Force Close" error message, and you can't even get into the app at all; some won't download at all, right from the third party website. Of course, "uninstall" these "not-compatible" apps immediately from the GS7/8 Honeycomb OS system, and try them again, later, if you get a Jelly Bean updated device.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014