Quantcast

Google Play Movies Issue

Discussion in 'Google Chromecast' started by Pete707, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Pete707

Pete707 New Member

My first casting of a movie was painful. I'm using a rooted Thrive AT100. I rented a movie in the morning intending to watch it in the evening. That evening when I tried to watch, hit 'Play' in the Play Store and the Movies app started up but displayed a message saying that the rental had expired. Huh!! Went through this a couple of times and finally the movie started and the casting got underway. After 10 minutes the screen darkened (sleep mode) but the movie continued. After a while I pressed the power key to wake up the tablet to see how much of the movie was remaining, the time display was static, and still indicating the time from when the sleep mode started, and remained that way for 20 minutes or so. During that time I went back to the Play Store and clicked on 'Play', got the same rental expired message several times while the movie continued. Finally the movie time display started and the movie continued uneventfully until it finished.

This is more trouble that I want to experience just to watch a movie. Can anyone explain what happened or what I might have done wrong?

2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Use the Google Play app, it should work great, it selects the URL and plays directly on the Chromecast. The YouTube app should work as well.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2014
  3. Pete707

Pete707 New Member

Are you talking about the PC app? I have a desktop not a laptop and it is across the room from my TV viewing area, so it wouldn't be too convient for pausing the video. I do have the Unified Remote app on my tablet. I'll have to try it. If it is the PC app you are describing, thanks for the guidance!

Pete

4. ChrisG8

No, use the Chromecast app installed on the tablet. YouTube also provides access to Google Play movies owned or rented, I have used that Chromecast app for Google Play movies I own. You don't say but since the question is posted in the Chromecast section, I am assuming you are using a Chromecast, not Google TV. If you are not using Chromecast, what are you using?

5. Pete707

Pete707 New Member

Yes I am using a Chromecast. When I use the Chromecast app all it does is connect to my TV after changing to the correct HDMI port. And then I have to try to use the Play Movies app to begin. I am beginning to think the Movies app is what is causing my problem. Even trying to play a free TV episode I get the "the rental period has expired" message. I have tried uninstalling/re-installing the Movies app but the same thing happens. ???

Pete

6. ChrisG8

I just started a movie I own using the Google Play Movies app, it is in SD and once started on the tablet I selected the Chromecast icon and it showed preparing playback and quickly started playing on the HDTV with Chromecast connected. It is still running now and I will check it again in a few minutes to make sure it is working but it worked great for me. I didn't hit the Chromecast icon until it started on the tablet, an HP TouchPad running Android 4.0x. I can find nothing wrong here.

7. ChrisG8

The movie continues to play fine using the tablet Google Play Movies app. For testing purposes, I just went to Google TV and used the YouTube app and started the same movie and got the stupid license has expired message for all three movies I own on Google Play. I own the movies, they can't expire so I am sure Google is having problems right now with Google Play Movies. It is odd that my Chromecast works fine but Google TV doesn't, I suspect it is some kind of glitch in the verification process that doesn't affect all devices. It is worth searching online for license has expired on Google Play Movies.

8. Pete707

Pete707 New Member

Thanks for the followup. I have contacted the Google help desk to see if they have any suggestions.

Pete