Quantcast

Google Play May not be supported on the Revue for much longer

Discussion in 'Google TV Apps' started by chopper, Jan 29, 2013.

1. chopper

chopper Active Member

GTVFriends - Is the Logitech Revue dead?

Well, it still works on mine so can someone remind me how to find the APK on my Revue to back this App up to Dropbox and quickly? I can't find the APK? I hope this report is false! Backing up may be of no help anyway!

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It isn't a report, it is speculation of a doomsday based on an isolated problem and since my Logitech Revue just accessed the Play Store and installed an app just fine, I am going to speculate it is not accurate speculation. If I stubbed my toe walking on the sidewalk, I could speculate human beings are soon going to be unable to walk on sidewalks, that wouldn't be any sillier than this.

Both of my Logitech Revues are working fine and recognized by the Play Store and I can push apps from a PC or directly by logging in through the Play Store app.

3. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

Yeah I agree, looks like it's just the revues that didn't get the last update. Seems a lot of them did not update and those are now the ones with this problem. I checked 3 of them today and the ones with the 3.10.10 play store are fine.

4. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting. But I went to the Google Play Store and installed the current GTV Play Store version today. However when I clicked to open it I got the message about my Revue not being up to date. My Revue is stuck on the 3.1 OS - so it kind of looks like Google put out a new Play Store update that won't function on the previous OS?

Seeing as how there are quite a few reports of Revue users having issues updating - I'm not sure of the wisdom of excluding the previous OS from the Google Play store app. (If this is indeed the case).

IMO it would be nice if Google could still make the old version of the Google Play app available.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that are interested there is a thread about this issue on the Logitech Revue Forum here:

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue...rted-Just-started-today-1-28-2012/td-p/971347

For those of you unable to use the Google Play Store app - I suggest bookmarking (and adding to home screen) the Google Play Store web site - and then accessing it with the Revue Chrome browser. Make sure that you are logged in to your Google account - and then you can download apps in this manner.

5. CatfishRivers

6. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

That's the update we ready have. Got it in October.

7. CatfishRivers

OK thanks for that information. This is the procedure (see below) that has worked for many Revue users to force their Revue to download the most recent update. Even if you are on the 3.2 OS update there was an even more recent update that I believe was referred to as 2.1.1. So trying the following procedure just to make sure is a good idea IMO: (this was posted on the Revue Forum) --->

"GOT IT!!!
    After reading what someone mentioned in this post and knowing a little about how the Google Update service works I have got it figured out!!!! after countless hard reboots this finally worked!! This order is the ONLY order i got it to work and I tried several times. If done correctly once you click update you will get a message saying

"System status cannot not be determined" where it would normally say "your system is upto date" NOW when you click update it will start downloading the update.. here are the steps that need to be followed

1.) Click on "Settings"
    2.) Click "Applications"
    3.) Click "Running Services"

The running services will pop up with "running" highlighted

4.) Scroll down and KILL "Google Services"

NOW highlight the tab "All"

5.) Scroll down to "Google Services Framework"
    6.) Click "Clear Data"
    7.) Click "force stop"
    8.) I didnt give it time to start back on its on but now I went and checked for an update again and got a message

"System status cannot be determined"

when i clicked update it worked! now at 3.2

Hope this helps!!! Let me know if it works for you

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/Revue-and-Accessories/Update-from-3-1-to-3-2/m-p/876660

8. ChrisG8

Wow, CatfishRivers joined the rest of us at 3.2, great news and about time.

9. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Yeah, Man!

Although it was kinda cool seeing how yer box worked in comparison to the rest of us. Welcome to 3.2, dude!!!

Take Care

Carl

10. CatfishRivers

Chris I'm sorry that you misunderstood. I'm still stuck on the 3.1 update. That post of mine was a post I copied from another Revue user that used that fix to successfully update his Revue.

Several Revue users have confirmed that the fix worked for them - so that's why I re-posted it here. For some others it doesn't work. Unfortunately I'm one of the ones that the fix doesn't work for. I'm convinced that my Revue has a firmware issue and was also told the same from Logitech Support. Oh well....

11. CatfishRivers

I'm finding out from the Revue Forum that the 3.2OS update has two build numbers. In both instances if you go to settings, then "about", and then "system updates" it will say that your Revue is up to date. However the most recent build is 70199 while the previous build is 65871-P

Apparently Revue users need to be on the most recent 3.2 update of build 70199 in order for the Google Play Store app to function. If you are not on build 70199 than try the fix that I posted in post #7 (in this thread) to see if you can force the update.

Play Store version not supported? Just started to... - Page 3 - Logitech Forums

12. ChrisG8

Oh no, sorry I misunderstood that.

13. Jarhead

Jarhead Member

CatfishRivers, Just keep doing the steps, it will find it eventually. May take some time though. BTW, you dont need to do the first step, just have to force stop and clear data for GSF. That will make the box think it's brand new, then do the "check for update".

14. ChrisG8

I have the Oct. 9, 2012 firmware build ending in 70199b, is there a different Oct. 9, 2012 firmware? If we really are going to get a new update for our Revues, this time I am not going to waste time trying to force the update, that never works for me anyway. I don't care if I have to wait a month or so.

15. CatfishRivers

Thanks for the suggestion. However I've tried at least 2 dozen times over a period of several months. It's useless. Some of the Revues have corrupted firmware issues (see link to article below) and can't be updated. On some occasions my Revue downloads the full update but upon attempted installation my Revue boots to a a screen with a triangle and an exclamation point in the triangle. This indicates firmware issues. Other times my Revue will start the download for about 5 minutes and then a "Download Failed" message comes on the screen.

http://www.theverge.com/2011/12/26/2662553/logitech-revue-google-tv-corrupted-firmware

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  16. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Hey, Catfish

As much as you help folks here, and in the Logitech Support Forum, I'm surprised Logitech has never offered you a new box. Even tho they dropped support for the units, it seems a no brainer to me.

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  17. gtv_brown

gtv_brown New Member

Hi all,

The update for the Logitech Revue is continuing to roll out as we speak.

18. CatfishRivers

Interesting. A respected Revue user (whom I believe) has posted that he received the update with the 701996b build on October 9th, 2012. It was reported in the Logitech Revue Forum that this is the update build that allows the Google Play Store to function.

So are you saying that after almost 4 months the update is still not done rolling out? - or is there some new update going out with a different build? Personally I find it rather "curious" that it would take 4 months to roll out an update.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No offense intended - but I just wanted to point out to Forum viewers that the most knowledgeable poster that ever posted here "Eferz" - was dubious that gtv_brown ever really worked for Google. See this thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/logitech-revue/3522-let-me-get-straight.html#post19091

As for myself I'm still undecided.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  19. chopper

chopper Active Member

Hey Cat,

If there ever was a user who deserved a free GTV box from Google I would say it's you and some of the other frequent, friendly and helpful posters on this forum.

• Like Like x 2
  20. guest

guest Active Member

Here's something you might not have tried. Some background: Again, today, I had a page freeze on me, and did a alt/ctrl/del. When the Revue came back on, I got the white screen again! Second time in the past three days necessitating a factory reset. I ran into a problem restoring my bookmarks, although I had them set to sync. Toggling back between my two gmail accounts restored the bookmarks to my principal gmail username. After this last reset, though, only my main gmail username was listed in settings. After I added the second one, for sync'ing, and then toggled back and forth between the two, the bookmarks were restored. Otherwise, they weren't restoring. So, fortunately, I was able to display them once again.

So when you do a factory reset, do you always use the same gmail account? If you have a second gmail account, you could try using it for registering the GTV, to see if the latest update shows up on your device.