Quantcast

Google Play App Compatibility Thread

Discussion in 'Nexus Player' started by chazzzmd78, Jan 12, 2015.

1. chazzzmd78

chazzzmd78 New Member

I'm hoping this thread can act as a singular spot to report, discuss, and monitor google authorized apps for the Nexus Media Player (NMP).

2. chazzzmd78

chazzzmd78 New Member

Currently I am finding that the Netflix app which does not come with the stock image of the NMP, you have to download from Google Play Store is very flakey.

1. I have repeatedly seen Netflix error prompts indicating that my NMP cannot talk to their (Netflix) servers. Although all my other apps work just fine (Google Play Movies, HULU, YouTube, etc.). Once this prompt occurs ONLY an uninstall and re-install of the app works. I've had to do this 3 times now in a period of 2 weeks. Clearing the cache or force closing does not work (like it did with GoogleTV), neither does rebooting the NMP itself.
    2. When the prompt doesn't show up, for some reason Netflix (upon launch) will prompt me for my log in information. I used this app for like 2 weeks when I first got the thing and only had to input my log in information once (upon 1st use).
    Geez, when will Google get a stable version of Netflix for their TV entertainment application(s)?????...I'm tired of Netflix failing on my google home devices (NMP, google tv) when I need it. It always seems to happen when there's nothing on tv or a movie night with my GF. I'm really getting sick and tired of google's inability to port over Netflix to their tv applications. This never happens on my phone or tablet, only on google tv and now Android TV

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I don't have the Nexus Player but I do have Google TV and Fire TV and have no issues with Netflix, we use it often, particularly with Google TV. It isn't a universal Android problem.

Report the issue to Nexus and Netflix, hopefully it will be fixed quickly, there is no reason that box can't run Netflix well. Even Roku with much less horsepower can handle Netflix well.

• Like Like x 1
  4. chazzzmd78

chazzzmd78 New Member

Chris- Thanks for the input. Since I posted earlier I have been able to identify this as a Netflix NW-4-8 error.

From Netflix ...../help site:
    If you get the error code NW-4-8 on your TV or Blu-ray player, it's due to information stored on the device that needs to be updated, or an Internet connectivity problem

Since I know my network is ok it seems to be that information on my device needs to be updated. I haven't however been able to find out exactly what. But I have found the solution..........

SOLUTION:
    When receiving the Netflix error prompt select "Details" button. This will provide you with an option to log out. Just log out and log back in. If you would like you can select "troubleshoot" and Netflix runs a diagnostic. Mine reported back that servers #1 - 4 could not be communicated with but my internet connection was okay.

*I just hope I don't have to do this too often.

FYI - You're lucky you haven't had issues with Netflix with your GoogleTV. I had issues with both Logitech Revue and Sony set top box. There is no shortages of Netflix issues reported for googletv, it's very easy to find google results. Me personally, I had to clear the cache in the app every so often for it to become operational again.

BTW FYI - Just in case you are interested as a googletv user, it was announced last week by google that a select number of devices running google tv will be updated to android tv. Google hasn't released the list of products. Just FYI.

5. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

6. ChrisG8

I didn't say I didn't have to stop all apps running in the background and clear cache, I do that before opening Netflix or other apps, I just use a RAM booster app. We use a Sony NSZ-GT1 almost daily for Netflix and often use a Vizio Co-Star for Netflix, both still work fine. I have a Logitech Revue I can connect and check but we are getting way off topic here now. The original topic is a good one, apps to be used with the new Android TV, problems and solutions. Hopefully the thread will get back on topic soon after I determine if the Logitech Revue still works for Netflix.

7. ChrisG8

Logged into Netflix with a Logitech Revue, played the Example Video 23.976 with embedded bandwidth metering, it quickly ramped up to 5800kbps, 1920x1080, I stopped the video logged out, logged back in and played a brief snippet from a movie, it played fine. I can't say everything would be fine if I used it often but as far as the complaints at Logitech Forums about not being able to log in, I sure didn't have that issue. It may have been fixed or the problem discussed is as a result of something other than the Logitech Revue not being able to log into Netflix at all.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Travel

Travel Active Member

With the Sony GS7 box, I've never had any problems at all with the native Netflix app.
    I can't remember much in the way of complaints on this forum from users of the GS7 for Netflix, either. Possibly there's been some non-systemic complaints, but few and far between. Netflix has been about the most stable of all apps.

On the other hand, there have been many complaints about the native YouTube app. But again, I've never had any lasting problems to speak of with the YouTube app running on the GS7.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  9. drhill

drhill Member

The problem with the GS7/8 and Netflix is that Netflix never updated the damn up to support profiles (or 3d). The 1st gen Sony has profile support.

10. Travel

Travel Active Member

Right, there have been features that were never updated, but luckily we at least got the "resume" and SuperHD/5.1 support, and it runs flawlessly.

I'm hanging on to the Sony GS7 as long as absolutely possible; there doesn't seem to be a box out there that beats it, overall. The browser getting "un-workably obsoleted" some day is probably about the only thing that'll force me to replace it with another brand.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2015
  11. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

My GS7 is hanging by a thread. I still use it for the voice search ability from time to time, but those times are starting to be outnumbered by the number of times the GS7 freezes my video (without even being used) let alone the annoying periodic "No Client" messages.

I've been using Chrome recently with my FireTV when I want a browswer. Unfortunately, the Dolphin browser's flash plugin (jetpack) stopped working a couple of updates ago.

It always worked fine for NetFlix, though (as do most streaming devices).

12. salmast

salmast New Member

Edit: Spent hours and hours sharing PC media to the Nexus (DLNA-UpNp). Tried Kodi, Plex, MediaHouse, BubbleUpNp, VLC, ES-Explorer, UpNPlay, and finally got it working with Kodi when I added the Fusion Installer; removed all else: Looks like I wasn't adding the DLNA libraries correctly earlier (was right in front of my face). Fusion will give you many cable, tv, and radio channels.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. salmast

salmast New Member

Edited:
    Just sideloaded Gmail APK and it's okay. Also sideloaded Popcornflix, but the screen was flipped horizontal; where used the app "set orientation" to set landscape for that one. Several apps have missing startup icons on the main screen, where I used "sideload launcher" to resolve that.

On another note, I tried Remote Desktop to a PC last year from the Vizo Co-Star using a bluetooth keyboard, and it was flawless.

The voice controlled front end (remote or phone app) makes this thing the clear winner when used with a decent bluetooth keyboard+scrollpad.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  14. salmast

salmast New Member

Nexus Player, I'm not really a TV or movie watcher, but got caught up into a cord-cutting project for my 77yr old neighbor. Installed Kodi with KodiMaster's Default Setup Wizard for live tv. Neighbor has Dish, favored Fox, ESPN, and a lot of the Xtian channels. Kodimaster does the job. PDF below is bookmarks for LiveTv and others.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  15. salmast

salmast New Member

Kodi with Fusion repo was a pain, and so I did Kodi with "Kodimaster" repo which is free cable channels. I'll repeat that again, "FREE CABLE CHANNELS"; and it's zero config. ready to go, if you follow this video below; but install the default Kodimaster setup wizard instead of that 3rd party wizard he recommends.

16. salmast

salmast New Member

Some might find this useful:

Keep in mind that I'm using a $20 bluetooth keyboard
    www.ebay.com/itm/111415936175

Apps Numbered = Source:
    1=Factory, 2=Playstore (tricky, try device & pc), 3=Sideloaded

Tested Okay:

3AccuWeather, 2AlarmClockExtreme, 3AngryBirds, 1Badland,
    2BibleGateway, 2Chrome, 2Crackle, 2Disney, 3docstogo,
    3gdrive, 3driveinclassics, 3ebay, 2esfileexplorer, 2evernote, 2filmon, 2filmonkids,
    2flipboard, 3gmail, 3googlepdf, 3googvoice, 3hangouts, 3hangoutdialer,
    3kiddovid, 2kodi(free cabletv), 3gmaps, 1minion, 3mint, 2Netflix, 3officemobile-ms,
    3pacman, 3paypal, 2pbs, 2pbskids, 3popcornflix, 2printshare, 3quello,
    3RemoteDesktopChrome, 2setorientation, 3showbox, 2sideloadlauncher,
    2snagfilms, 3snagextreme, 2solitare, 3solitarclassic, 3spotify, 3tubitv,
    2top50usnews, 3viewster, 3viki, 3gvoice, 2VLC, 2mobitv=watchlivetv,
    2watchclassicmoviesfree, 3yahoo, 2youtube,
    Tested Fail:
    AndroZip, CuyteTV, FunnyforFree, Facebook, GoogleCalendar, IPTV, CypherTV2, FreeMovies,
    Gdocs, GoWatchit, MicrosoftRemoteDesktop or MS RDP Beta, skype+skypewifi,

Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  17. salmast

salmast New Member

For the record, you can use EsFileExplorer to make backups of all apps by simply copying the apps folder to USB or across home network folders.

My old Co-Star has two apps, 1. Overscan Calibrator and 2. Browser Bookmarks that i'll now test on Nexus. Also testing "gbookmarks" (sideload)

Last edited: Jun 12, 2016