Quantcast

Google Planning To Expand Home Delivery Service 'Shopping Express' Nationwide

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 7, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google reportedly planning to expand home delivery service Shopping Express nationwide | 9to5Google (click for full article)

by Ben Lovejoy - July 7, 2014

-- A Re/code piece on Google’s Shopping Express service says that the company is investing $500M to expand the service beyond San Francisco, Los Angeles and New York City and roll it out nationally.

The service lets shoppers buy things from local retail stores through Google, which then delivers them to consumers from the physical retail store on the same or next day.

A source familiar with the company’s plans says senior Google execs have set aside as much as $500 million to expand the service nationwide …

Read more at: Google reportedly planning to expand home delivery service Shopping Express nationwide | 9to5Google

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

IMO this sounds like it could really catch-on in a big way. I would be very interested in this service if it included grocery delivery - which apparently it does:

Google Shopping Express Blocks Amazon - Business Insider

I live in the Sarasota, FL area where there are many seniors and really nothing much in the way of grocery delivery available here. I think the Google Shopping Express service would be a big hit in Sarasota.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  3. CatfishRivers

I did some more research and apparently the Google Shopping Express service doesn't currently deliver perishable grocery items - but they're supposed to be working on adding perishable groceries in the future:

What's better for grocery delivery: Google, Instacart or Postmates? - San Jose Mercury News

From the above link:

GOOGLE SHOPPING EXPRESS

Items listed on Google's service match those of the stores it works with. That's because Google shares in the profits. The biggest downside is that the company doesn't deliver meats, fish, fruits and other perishable groceries yet, even though it delivers from stores that sell them, including Target, Fairway and Costco. (You need to have a membership to order from Costco.) Google says it is working on a way to sell perishables in the future.

All the items I ordered were available in the store, and they were wrapped up nicely too. My delivery came in bags with the Google Shopping Express logo, and my two glass bottles of sparkling water were wrapped and taped in paper to prevent them from breaking.

The company goes beyond groceries to deliver TVs, pots, air conditioners and other items. I ended up turning to Google Shopping Express again to buy a last-minute Father's Day gift.

DELIVERY FEES: $4.99 for each delivery. It's currently offering six-months of free deliveries to new users. It plans to offer a membership plan for free deliveries, but hasn't come up with pricing yet.

DELIVERY AREAS: Available in four cities: Los Angeles, New York, San Francisco and San Jose. It also makes overnight deliveries in parts of Northern California.

4. guest

guest Active Member

Regarding home delivery of perishables, I recently recommended Roche Bros. to my mother. She lives in Boston. https://shop.rochebros.com/shophome.aspx She doesn't use the internet, so she has to phone-in her orders. It's a new service from this supermarket. It's the future, for sure. I used to be an avid "ingredient-label-reader" in the supermarket. That was years ago. Nowadays, I don't look forward to food shopping AT ALL. It's just something that has to be done.

5. CatfishRivers