Quantcast

Google Now For Android Adds Cards For Live TV, Voice Actions For Music Playback

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 26, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Now for Android adds cards for live TV, voice actions for music playback | The Verge (click for full article)

by Chris Welch - June 26, 2013

"Google Search for Android has been updated to take advantage of various new Google Now cards, including one for live TV. According to the company, if you've got an internet-connected TV, Android is now capable of "listening" for live programming when connected to the same wireless network as your television.

Google says the added feature helps "unlock more information about what you're watching" including cast and crew background. "If you were watching Nik Wallenda cross the Grand Canyon this weekend, with Google Now, you could learn that the 'King of the Wire' in fact holds seven Guinness World Records," is one example given in a Google+ blog post on the update."

2. CatfishRivers

Google Search for Android Jelly Bean gets TV Show Info, Saved Offers (click for full article)

Google Now For Android Gets Cards For TV Shows and Offers, Voice Action To Play Music, and More

by Emil Protalinski - June 26, 2013

"Google today released an update to its Google Search app for Android, adding new features exclusive for Jelly Bean devices. You can grab the new version now directly from Google Play.

First up, Android's Google Search app can now show you information about shows that you're watching on your Internet-connected TV. While this is definitely nifty, there are a few catches.

Unfortunately, the feature is limited to the US market, and Google wouldn't say when it will be available worldwide. Furthermore, your Android device has to be connected to the same network as your TV, meaning you can't access this information when you're on the go."

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  3. CatfishRivers

I'm wondering if the TV cards for android could indirectly shift some interest away from GTV devices?

Google Now?s New TV Info Feature is Pretty Awesome ? Droid Life (click for full article)

by Kellex - June 26, 2013

"This morning, Google updated its Search app for Android to include a new TV information card that can be viewed through Google Now. It requires you to have a WiFi-enabled TV, with your TV and phone connected to the same network in order to work, but otherwise doesn't need any other setup. No pairing, codes, or IR blasters are necessary. So since I happen to have a TV with WiFi, I decided to see what the experience is like and how exactly it works. After waiting a few minutes for Google Now to find my TV, I can now safely say that this will probably be one of my most used Google Now cards.

As I mentioned, it took a minute for Google Now to realize that my TV was on, but within a couple of minutes, I was greeted in Google Now with a card that asked if I was "Watching live TV?" It also mentioned that it found my LG TV through my WiFi network, and then asked that I tap to "Listen for a TV show," just as Google described this morning. So I did!

I happened to be on HGTV at first, and sure enough, Google Now listened to the show (similarly to how it does with Music) and then returned a result for Property Brothers (which was actually on TV). I then tapped the "Read more" button and was taken to a Google Search results page for the show to find out more information.

But that's just the beginning - it gets better."

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  4. CatfishRivers

How to turn on experimental Google Now cards on Android | 9to5Google (click for full article)

by Jordan Kahn - Sept. 23, 2014

-- AndroidPolice points us to a new app called UnleashTheGoogle from developer Zhuowei Zhang (requires root access) that allows users to manually enable experimental Google Now cards and other interesting features not yet available publicly to Android users.

In addition to turning on experimental Google Now cards like Flight Price Monitor, Artworks Nearby, and Election Information, the app includes the ability to enable a number of other Google Now related API actions and access debug options and confirmation flags.

The app is available to download directly here and the developer has provided the source code on GitHub.