Quantcast

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review: The New Best Way To Spend $200 Bucks

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 2, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Nexus 7 Tablet Review: The New Best Way to Spend 200 Bucks (click for full article)

"After months of leaks and hints about the Nexus 7, it was clear what to expect from Google's first tablet. The major question was: "Can it possibly be as good as it looks and only cost $200?" The verdict is in."

2. CatfishRivers

I wonder if Google left off an HDMI port (for their Nexus 7 tablet) as a cost cutting move - or perhaps they felt if this came with an HDMI port some of their Google TV hardware partners would get a bit "antsy"? And also without HDMI now there is more reason to buy the $299 NexusQ I suppose.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

It sounds great to me. I have an HP 32GB TouchPad, wish I could get Android 4.1 running on it, maybe someday soon. I didn't think I would ever own one tablet and sure have no plans to buy a second.

4. CatfishRivers

Google's Nexus 7: To buy or not to buy? | Computerworld Blogs (click for full article)

"It's been almost a week since Google unveiled its new Nexus 7 Android tablet. I've been using the Nexus 7 extensively since that introduction, and I've gotta say: I continue to be impressed with how compelling this device truly is.

The Nexus 7 was announced on the first day of Google's I/O developers' conference last Wednesday. The tablet costs $200 for the base-level 8GB version or $250 for a 16GB model. Both versions are available for preorder now and expected to ship in mid-July.

Nexus 7: Small price, big deal

As I wrote in my first impressions of the Nexus 7, the tablet's price may be small -- but its significance is enormous. At $200, Google is providing a first-class tablet experience at a budget-level price. That's something that hasn't been possible in the past, and that's precisely what the Nexus 7 is all about: getting a good-quality tablet experience into more people's hands.

So what do you actually get with the Nexus 7?"

5. CatfishRivers

Wolverton: Google Nexus 7 nice, but content lacking - San Jose Mercury News (click for full article)

"If you want a tablet but can't afford an iPad, Google's (GOOG) new Nexus 7 is not a bad choice.

It's got a beautiful screen, a refined interface and, at $200, a compelling price. It also has a front camera and a zippy quad-core processor, features that the similarly priced Amazon Kindle Fire lacks.

But I'm not ready to call it the next-best thing to the iPad, much less an iPad killer. That's because when it comes to games, movies and TV shows -- some of the things you're most likely to want on a tablet -- the Nexus 7 comes up short, not only to the iPad but also to the Kindle Fire."

6. CatfishRivers

From Google, the Toughest Challenger to the iPad - WSJ.com (click for full article)

By WALTER S. MOSSBERG

"Tired of watching in frustration as its popular Android mobile operating system failed to make much of a dent in the tablet market, Google is stepping in next week with an Android tablet it helped design. It's the Nexus 7, a $199 model with a 7-inch screen. And in my view, it's a winner.

After testing the Nexus 7 for a couple of weeks, I consider it the best Android tablet I've used. It's a serious alternative to both Apple's larger $499 iPad and to a more direct rival: Amazon's $199, Android-based, 7-inch Kindle Fire. I prefer the Nexus 7 to 7-inch models from Google partners like Samsung, whose comparable product costs $250."

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  7. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Do you already have Android ICS running on it? if not, then you should install that, it runs very smooth on the HP Touchpad, only think that doesn't work is the camera.

8. Aloysius

Aloysius New Member

I have been thinking quite hard of getting it but I am suspect as to whether I really need it.

I enjoyed my Kindle Fire for a few weeks but it got old quickly. Not a huge fan of the screen size.

9. CatfishRivers

Well I did some more research on the Nexus 7 - and I found out that it doesn't support Flash. This and the fact that there's no HDMI port (to connect it to a TV) are deal breakers for me. I'm more interested in the Samsung Chromebox as a possibility:

Nexus 7 FAQ - xda-developers

From the article:

"8. Does the Nexus 7/Jelly Bean/Chrome support Flash?

Officially, Jelly Bean is not a supported OS by Adobe, and Flash will be taken off of the Play Store on August 15th. This in turn means that the Nexus 7 is not does not officially support Flash. However, many members have confirmed that Flash does work fine when installed on the Nexus 7, but bugs will be expected. Chrome, the default browser, does not support Flash."

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
  10. CatfishRivers

16GB Google Nexus 7 tablet sold out, Google may have underestimated demand - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The Google Nexus 7 tablet has a starting price of $199. For that price you get a 7 inch tablet with a quad-core processor and Google Android 4.1 software - but just 8GB of storage.

If you want 16GB, you'll need to pony up $249. And it turns out a lot of people do want that extra storage, because Google and its retail partners have already sold out of 16GB tablets.

According to The Guardian, that's at least partly because Google underestimated demand for that model, figuring the 8GB $199 Nexus 7 tablet would be more popular.

The smaller model is still in stock at the Google Play Store, but if you want a 16GB model you have to sign up to receive an email when the tablet becomes available again."

Last edited: Jul 22, 2012