Quantcast

Google Music and "Out of Space" Warning

Discussion in 'Logitech Revue' started by somedude24, Dec 11, 2011.

1. somedude24

somedude24 New Member

I just set-up a new Logitech Revue, running the updated version of Google TV with Android apps.

I installed just a few apps (Shortyz and Music is all I added, I believe) and -- boom -- I was already getting warnings that there wasn't much storage space left on my Revue.

It turns out the culprit is Google Music: Simply loading it and connecting it to my library consumes about 400MB of the 500MB allotted, the overwhelming majority of that labeled as "USB storage" (I don't have USB connected, so I'm a little puzzled as to what that means, versus say cache or data). As far as I know, I'm not downloading any songs (and of course my library of 7000 songs is dramatically bigger than 400MB).

Is this a known issue? I can't imagine I'm alone in having this problem, and I'm a little surprised that Google/Logitech didn't anticipate it.

I'd love to run Google Music on my box, but if it alone essentially fills it up, then that's a problem. Is there a work-around? Is there a way to add additional storage to the Revue to accommodate such a bulky app.

2. mcc3200

mcc3200 New Member

That's both disturbing and weird - on the Market page it says it's only 4mb in size. Maybe try to uninstall it, re-boot and try to re-install it.
    Google Music is on the main reasons i bought the Revue and if that doesnt work it's incredibly disappointing. I havent gotten the upgrade yet
    so i cant test it yet. I even tried doing a factory reset this morning to no avail.

• Like Like x 2
  3. somedude24

somedude24 New Member

I did a factory reset and had the same exact issue. As soon as I connect it to my Google account, the app begins to balloon in size to like 400MB over several minutes.

The less-than-elegant workaround is to use music.google.com on the built-in Chrome browser, but I would really like Google Music to work.

As an alternative, I tried using Logitech's media server app to stream my music straight from my MacBook, but it cannot find my computer, despite following the one-step install instructions, permitting the app to accept traffic, and several reboots.

4. ifthenwouldi

ifthenwouldi New Member

I'm having a very similar issue, although I've still got some space left - my song library is 1/3 of yours. What's equally frustrating is that I'm having streaming issues when I try to run Google Music at the same time I use Chrome.

5. krisguy

krisguy New Member

Google Music pre-caches songs for you, that's why you get a notification that says "XX songs added to Google Music". It downloads music to the systems main memory. Since the Revue can't use another USB source as system memory, it all gets dumped in your Revue's ~500MB of storage.

Google needs to add support to use other external memory to run apps, that would fix the issue.

• Like Like x 4
  6. Jacksmyname

Jacksmyname Member

Can that be done to the Revue with a firmware update?

7. somedude24

somedude24 New Member

It just seems silly that they wouldn't be aware of this issue and build the specialized Google TV version of the app to accommodate it accordingly (maybe by pre-fetching fewer songs, capped at say 100MB). It sounds like literally EVERYONE who uses Google Music on the Logitech Revue (which appears to be the #1 app now) is going to have this same problem. On the plus side, hopefully that means they'll become aware of it quickly and fix it quickly as well.

8. krisguy

krisguy New Member

I'm going to use the web app until I have time to e-mail Google support about the issue.

9. deep_powder

deep_powder New Member

OK, to be clear, I'm still waiting on my update. However, in the settings for Music in my Xoom (3.2.1), there is a checkbox that you can uncheck to disallow caching of music (so, I guess I'd be a pure stream). I'm thinking if this is unckecked, and then you clear Music's cache in the OS settings (presuming it works like the Honeycomb I'm currently holding), Music should then function the way we want it to on the Revue (streaming without keeping a giant cache around). I'll be trying this as soon as I finally get my update, but wanted to throw the idea out there for anybody to play with (please post back if it works).

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk

10. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

The settings available on the Google TV version of Music doesn't offer the option to not cache music.

11. OldChicagoPete

OldChicagoPete New Member

First post, and still waiting for my update...

On my N1 I see that the app uses a lot of internal memory, but only around 15-16 MB with my ~6000 song collection. I usually only play an album or a playlist at a time; are you guys by any chance playing all songs or all song with random?

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  12. ifthenwouldi

ifthenwouldi New Member

Would you mind to tell me that email address? I'm never too sure how to contact Google.

13. bukzin

bukzin New Member

What is 'N1' ? Maybe Nexus One cell phone?

Which version of Android is on your phone?

14. OldChicagoPete

Sorry, I shouldn't have used the abbreviation for a phone in a GTV forum. :) Yes, it is the Nexus One, running 2.3.6. Of course it's a different version of the app but it doesn't make sense that Google would change the cache algorithm.

I did finally get the update this evening on my Revue and Music is the first app I downloaded. I've been listening to a playlist with around 70 songs for about an hour now and haven't had any space warnings yet. (knock on wood)

15. ifthenwouldi

ifthenwouldi New Member

I would hope not, with just 70 songs. That's probably less than 5% the size of many of our music collections.

In case there are any others who are having this issue, I was told on the Logitech board to use this contact form:

---support.google.com/androidmarket/bin/request.py?contact_type=music_feedback---

(Remove the --- at the beginning and end)

16. arrowrand

arrowrand New Member

I removed the Music app from my Revue. I authorized it to use my account and didn't play a single tune. Going through my app list I saw that it was using over 400MB of space.

Uninstalled.

17. foam55

foam55 New Member

I have 15000 songs. Updated this morning and added Music app. For the first time Google Music worked as it was advertised to work. No issues so far.

18. OldChicagoPete

The collection is much bigger, that was just an example. Never mind then, I just came back here to give the storage data on Music 24 hours after installing it and running it for 4-5 hours so far...

Total............. 70.52MB
    Application..... 6.79MB
    Data............. 9.93MB
    USB storage... 53.80MB

Hopefully you get it worked out to run on your system, for me it might be the best part of the overall update!

19. ifthenwouldi

ifthenwouldi New Member

I figured the problem out - it's downloading full-sized album art. Apparently, I have over 200MB in album art pictures.

I'm surprised that Google didn't compress those when I uploaded the music originally, and I'm not sure that much can be done on my end that wouldn't take forever to fix.

Sent from my Revue using Tapatalk

20. amena09

amena09 New Member

just got this back from google support

"Hi,

Thank you for taking the time to write in. We're aware of an issue with
    internal memory on Logitech Revues, and are working on a fix.

We appreciate your taking the time to report this issue with Google Music.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to reply to this email.

Regards,

Rob
    The Google Music Team"

at least they are now aware of it.