Quantcast

Google Mobilizer Website

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by guest, Feb 5, 2016.

1. guest

guest Active Member

The Google Mobilizer website has been permanently taken down, I think. Or is it just for those outside the U.S.? I believe it's been replaced by something called googleweblight. I don't like the new version. I'd like to find a way to disable it.

Faster and lighter mobile pages from search - Search Console Help

If you are in the U.S., does this link work for you?
    http://google.com/gwt/n

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I'm in the U.S. and the link for the Google mobilizer doesn't work for me.

I agree I don't like googleweblight either. I don't believe googleweblight is new - it's been around for a while.

I'm using the Mowser and mlvb.net mobilizers now that the Google mobilizer is kaput. Also some web sites have their own mobile versions which work pretty good with my Logitech Revue. For example the New York Times has a good mobile web site.

3. guest

guest Active Member

Do you get these symbols mixed in with text when you use Mowser?
    “It was like, ‘Here’s someone who doesn’t want to vilify us
    but wants to get business back in the game’â€...

In my experience, this has been a failing of Mowser going back many years. I just wrote them an e-mail asking them if they planned on fixing this problem in our lifetimes!

4. guest

guest Active Member

Regarding Mobile Leap, do you know how to enlarge the text in MLVB's settings? When I try to enlarge the text with just my keyboard, by pressing CTRL and the + sign, the right-hand-side text goes off the screen!

5. CatfishRivers

Yes I get those symbols.

6. CatfishRivers

No I haven't found any way to enlarge text through the Mobile Leap settings.

7. guest

guest Active Member

Regarding Mowser, this must be why it's showing those symbols - the site was abandoned by its creator seven years ago! The end of Mowser

Mowser would have been a perfect replacement for the old Google Mobilizer. But those symbols interspersed in the text makes it unusable for someone trying to understand what they're reading!

8. CatfishRivers

Do you ever find yourself using the mobilizer web sites with your Chromebox - or do you just use it for your Logitech Revue?

I have my Logitech Revue set up with various bookmarks from Mowser and Mobile Leap (yeah some things work better for me with a specific mobilizer) - and this makes the Chrome browser on my Logitech Revue quite usable (for most things). I love that the mobilizers strip out all the ads & crap.

However as was mentioned in that blog that you linked to - these mobilizer web sites are a dieing breed. I remember a couple good ones that went out of operation (in addition to the Google mobilizer) such as Skweezer and a few others. They were popular with the WebTV crowd.

My hunch is that the creator of the Mowser web site sold it to somebody else that keeps it going (however does no development for it). The day all of the mobilizer web sites are gone will be the day I trash my Logitech Revue (if it's still running until then). LOL Sooner or later I'm going to buy a Chromebox.

9. guest

guest Active Member

Sorry for the late reply. I recently bought a second Chromebox and so now no longer use GoogleTV - not even as a backup!
    --
    If the original Google Mobilizer was still working, I would still be using it with the Chromebox. The reason for that is that one could make the text on a page larger and larger and larger - and the text would continue to format such that everything remained on the page. With other mobilizers, you lose text on the left and right-hand sides of the page (the text runs off the page). One can enlarge text on a Chromebox, too, but I found that mobilizer to be useful. (Besides the fact that I'd grown accustomed to using it over a number of years with Google TV. I don't remember using it with WebTV or MSNTV; I may have.)

The following two (free) extensions for Chrome have been an aid since Google Mobilizer went missing. The first one offers hundreds of different fonts (larger letters, for example) and also allows one to increase the size of the font (pixel-size). The second one is interesting. I just came across it the other day. I visit this one particular website every day. It's formatted in three columns. The left-hand column pretty much just lists other blogs that the reader may find of interest. But that left-hand column would "bleed" into the middle column. So this second URL is for an extension that allows one to "erase" the left-hand column! Anything that you might find irritating on a webpage can be erased. The problem is that it's not "persistent". So when you go to another page on the website, you may need to repeat the process. It's fast and easy, though. Many useful things await you should you decide to buy a Chromebox!

Font Changer with Google Web Fonts™

Page Eraser

Edit: One other reason that pushes some into using a mobilizer is ads. I use the uBlock Origin adblocker on my Chromebox. It has already blocked 60,000 ads in the past two weeks or so!!! uBlock Origin

In an earlier post on this forum I mentioned an issue that I was having on Amazon while using a Chromebox [Amazon pages never loaded; I would get the "kill or wait" message. The site was unusable!]. It turned out that the problem was an ad. This extension solved the problem.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  10. CatfishRivers

Oh no it looks like the Mobile Leap web site could be dead! When I try to go to the URL: http://mlvb.net/ I get a message that Chrome cannot connect to the website.

Also the performance of the Mowser web site has been kind of slow at times recently.

11. CatfishRivers

I came across another mobilizer site that seems to work pretty good:

loband

12. CatfishRivers

Good news! The Mobile Leap web site is back up! -:)

13. CatfishRivers

Something has gone very wrong with Mowser for the past few days. It's returning a lot of errors and bad links. It's just about useless in it's current state. It's as if somebody (with not much skill) has tried to change the software program for Mowser and they scr*wed it up -:(