Quantcast

Google Introduces Android TV

Discussion in 'Android TV' started by CatfishRivers, Jun 25, 2014.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Introduces Android TV, Its New Platform For Smart TV Apps And Navigation | TechCrunch (click for full article)

by Ryan Lawler - June 25, 2014

-- Google has spent many years trying to find its way onto the biggest screen in the house. Today at its I/O developers conference, the search giant introduced yet another product which it hopes will accomplish that goal — a new Android TV operating system.

Contrary to reports, Android TV isn’t a set-top box like Apple TV or Amazon Fire TV, but a software system that will be embedded into the smart TVs and other devices from third-party OEMs.

Unlike its first effort into smart TV software, Google TV, Android TV will work with a number of different chipsets. And it’s designed to enable Android developers to create apps using the same Android toolset that they use for mobile phones and tablets.

Android TV will play movies and TV shows, and users will be able to control it via mobiles phones and tablets. Google Engineering Director Dave Burke showed off how the system works to enable search and navigation either via text or voice. He even showed off the ability to control the TV via an Android Gear smartwatch.

In addition to controlling live TV and on-demand shows via a set of streaming apps, users can play games using the platform. Those games can be controlled via smartphones and tablets as well, with control streamed to the TV.

See more at: Google Introduces Android TV, Its New Platform For Smart TV Apps And Navigation | TechCrunch

• Like Like x 2
  2. CatfishRivers

3. drhill

drhill Member

Staying true to form, it will be out "later". Though that's what Google is doing with everything now apparently. The whole company adopts the consumer hating approach of "later".

4. CatfishRivers

5. CatfishRivers

Google makes a comeback in the living room with Android TV | Ars Technica

IMO it doesn't seem like there is anything 'concrete' that is coming 'imminently'. From the above article:

*While the platform is still a theoretical implementation more than a concrete product*

and also:

*Google did not have concrete hardware plans to bring Android TV to the world, but stated it's working with a number of manufacturers on both streaming devices and TVs.*

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  6. drhill

drhill Member

The only good thing one could assume (big question there) is that AndroidTV could be baked into AOSP and if a hardware vendor were to get Google Play certification then they would get any Google specific things (like search, guide, play movies, etc). That would just be an assumption though.

Meanwhile, being it wasn't brought up it probably means any existing device is dead in the water.

7. CatfishRivers

8. CatfishRivers

I hope the Razer box has a dedicated remote (besides a gaming controller). But from the tone of the article it kind of sounds like mobile devices will be the controllers. Also IMO it doesn't seem like cable TV box integration will be likely.

Interesting that I haven't heard Hisense mentioned in any of the Android TV articles. Will there still be a Hisense Pulse Pro box running Jellybean released this summer? - or will the Hisense Pulse Pro box be delayed to the fall and be released with the Android TV software? Since Hisense just recently released some Jellybean Android televisions - I would be surprised if they back out of being an OEM partner for the new Android TV platform. It would be a bummer if the current hardware in the Hisense Jellybean televisions didn't run the new Android TV platform optimally.

I also read that Asus is supposed to be coming out with an Android TV set-top box. Also Sony will producee 4K Android TVs and Phillips, Sharp, and TPVision will have a line of Android televisions. The televisions aren't due out until 2015.

One thing I've learned though is that these 'generalized' release dates such as "this Fall" often tend to get pushed further back. We'll see.....

Also if there is no Nexus TV box (which right now appears to be the case) - don't expect these Android TV boxes from third party OEMs to be able to match the hardware specs of the Fire TV for only $99. Amazon probably breaks about even on the Fire TV hardware because they make their profit from the Amazon store. Third party OEMs don't have that luxury.

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

just when it looked like things were getting less complicated...

10. CatfishRivers

Well, well, well - based on this article it sounds like Android TV will have cable box integration:

Android TV hands-on: Google makes a new play for the living room | The Verge
    (click for full article & photos)

by Nathan Ingraham - June 25, 2014

-- Google hasn't exactly been successful at taking over the living room - Chromecast aside, its previous efforts have failed to capture much consumer interest. However, during the I/O 2014 keynote today, the company showed that it is ready to start fresh with Android TV. It's a new platform that combines live TV via your cable box or even an over-the-air antenna along with Android apps and services like Google Play to offer up a more simplified way to get content to your TV than the older Google TV model.

As shown on stage, Android TV is a much-simplified approach that focuses on having quick access to content you'll want to watch. The main area of the screen highlights suggested shows from Google Play and other apps you have installed. Scrolling down, you'll find every app you've added from the Google Play Store to your TV, and there's also a separate area for games. Those games can be controlled either with your Android phone or with a Xbox-style controller.

To get developers building for Android TV, the company is offering up reference hardware that it built itself: an Apple TV-style set-top box and game controller. In our brief experience trying it, we found the interface to be fast and fluid - jumping in and out of games and apps worked without a hitch, and being able to hit the Android home button at any time to get back to the main screen definitely made navigating easier.

See more at: http://www.theverge.com/2014/6/25/5839556/google-reboots-its-living-room-efforts-with-Android-TV

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  11. CatfishRivers

Here's another hands-on Android TV video from Google I/O today:

12. CatfishRivers

13. CatfishRivers

14. overtimeman

overtimeman Active Member

I'm guessing that none of the AndroidTV's is going to actually have a browser for web surfing?Manufactured for streaming and game playing even though one video did show PIP.

15. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Will Google be rolling out this year's announcements before or after last year's?

16. AndrewTuttle

AndrewTuttle New Member

Stop drinking the kool-aid, folks.

Why do I care if my TV can use the Google search engine? Or voice recognition to...search? Aside from those ridiculous bits of window-dressing, the whole idea is that I can take a whole 'nother device I already have laying around, use it to stream content via the web or apps, and presto! Google's MagicBox is all amazing and spectacular because it makes that device show up on your TV.

THAT ALREADY EXISTS.

We're pretending to be impressed by a device that does absolutely nothing. I feel like someone's trying to sell me a remote for controlling my remote. If you haven't already figured out that you can make your pc/laptop/tablet whatever "cast" onto your TV and you think you need Google to sell you a $300 box to make that happen, you're a fool. The "AndroidTV" smart-tv application becomes nothing more than a program to re-organize and distribute what you're already capable of throwing onto your TV directly through your advice. For this, Google will get oodles of cash from the TV manufacturers, all for writing a piece of software that essentially just rearranges things and slaps a label on it.

My favorite part of the video is when they search for "Game of Thrones" using google search. Which brings up....this show is available to purchase through Google Play. As if I need a breakthrough new device to tell me I can buy or stream a show through iTunes, Google Play, Amazon, whatever. Then they went to Youtube, used Game of Thrones as a search, and watched videos of GOT-related stuff.

So you're using a search engine, Youtube searches, along with existing applications like Netflix and Hulu to do...what you were already able to do. Google...earning billions of dollars by making you think it's actually necessary.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  17. CatfishRivers

Android TV: It?s what Google TV should have been, but is that enough? ? Tech News and Analysis (click for full article)

by Janko Roettgers - June 25, 2014

Summary: Android TV promises more consistent design and and more advanced technology than Google TV. Is that enough to win over consumers?

-- The people tasked with developing Google's new Android TV product think that this time, time is on their side.

Four years ago, the company made its first big foray into the living room. Google TV was supposed to combine online video with live TV and become a leading software platform for TV manufacturers. But the failure of Google TV is well documented; why would the company try again, as it did Wednesday with the introduction of its new Android TV platform?

"It's the UX (user experience), it's the framework, it's the timing," said Android Senior Engineering Director Dave Burke when asked that very question during an interview on the sidelines of Google's I/O developer conference in San Francisco Wednesday.

A simpler UI, and a better way to build TV apps

He pointed to Android TV's much simpler and more defined user interface, as well as the integration of Google Search and content recommendations that make for a better experience than on Google TV. Android TV's interface greets users with content recommendations based on the apps they use the most, and allows them to directly jump to a movie or TV show from a card-based search interface.

Read more at: Android TV: It?s what Google TV should have been, but is that enough? ? Tech News and Analysis

18. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Other than expanding the gaming aspect of Google TV, I didn't notice anything I can't already do with Google TV if I switch to Android TV. It looks like a new name, new version of Android operating system and new UI but not really anything other than a continued evolution of Google TV to me. I am not sure it will be embraced by the market either unless it really will be a big step up in terms of ease of use. If it combines traditional TV with internet TV by use of HDMI input as those demos seem to indicate, it will be the best new smart TV platform for my needs but won't be enough to get me to leave Google TV behind. I expect some Google TV features will be missing, some that I use, replaced with things like gaming I won't use but nothing is clear to me.

19. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I think it would have been more merciful just to kill it off :) Instead we seem to have yet another OS for TV OEMs to build in.. and I suppose most TVs will become "smart", even tho I personally think that is the wrong paradigm (vs. stand-alone box which can be updated at less expense/waste).

will that HiSense Pro box even ship now?

20. drhill

drhill Member

If the boxes support bluetooth you should have options for a remote.

• Like Like x 1