Quantcast

Google Introduces $249 Samsung Chromebook With ARM - Based CPU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Oct 18, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google introduces $249 Samsung Chromebook with ARM-based CPU - Liliputing (click for full article)

"The next Chromebook to hit the streets will also be the cheapest to date. Pre-orders for the new Samsung Chromebook start this afternoon at 3:00PM Eastern, and you'll be able to pick one up for $249. It should be available from major US and UK retailers Monday.

For that price you get a laptop with an 11.6 inch display, a Samsung Exynos 5 dual core ARM-based processor, and about 6.5 hours of battery life."

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  2. CatfishRivers

Well I notice that the new ARM-based Chromebook has an HDMI port -:) Very cool.

I had taken a look previously at the Samsung Chromebox (which doesn't have HDMI) and costs almost $100 more.

Any opinions on how the Samsung dual-core Exynos chip in the new Chromebook compares to the Intel Celeron chip in the Chromebox?

It's been reported that the new Chromebook has 2GB of RAM - while the Chromebox has 4 GB of RAM

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  3. CatfishRivers

Samsung Chromebook - Laptops - CNET Reviews (click for full CNET review)

CNET Editors' Take October 18, 2012 11:59 AM PDT

"After using the new Samsung Chromebook for the better part of a workday, I have to say I'm impressed -- as long as you consider the constraints of its $249 price tag.

Google announced the Samsung Chromebook today along with new ambitions to spread its browser-based, cloud-focused Chrome OS laptop much more widely. Google envisions it as good for an extra machine that lies around the house or as a laptop for students.

I find it a reasonable device for those categories, especially for people like myself who already have their head in the Google cloud with Google Docs, Google Drive, and Gmail. It's got workable if not standout hardware, its battery life is good, it switches on quickly, and the $249 price tag means it's not as much of a commitment as the $550 Samsung Series 5 550 that arrived in May.

However, given sluggish performance sometimes, I can't say I was blown away by the Samsung Chromebook. It's fine for many tasks, but power users accustomed to having more than a couple dozen browser tabs open should steer clear."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  4. CatfishRivers

I found this part of the CNET review interesting:

"And I have seen firsthand that Google really does improve the operating system steadily with its six-week update cycle, so today's problems could ease with future releases of the operating system."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only Google could update GTV on a six week cycle - just think how great GTV devices would be. I wonder why the Chrome OS gets updates on a 6 week cycle - while GTV is no where near that. Yeah Google tweaks the GTV apps occasionally (such as the YouTube app) - but the REAL OS updates are seemingly like only annual events for GTV.

• Like Like x 2
  5. guest

guest Active Member

Is the Chromebook considered a "virus-free" device like Google TV?

6. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  7. guest

guest Active Member

What prevents this Chromebook from being used as a replacement for a Logitech Revue or any other Google TV? You have written about the latest Flash and that GTV will not be updated with it. This is not the case with the Chromebook, (to the best of my knowledge). It would make for a superior replacement, would it not? Thanks.

8. CatfishRivers

You know that's an interesting question. I have never tried a Chromebook or Chromebox yet - so I can't answer that from personal experience.

Some people are speculating that eventually Chrome OS and Android OS will be combined together into one OS.

I believe you are right about the Flash - the Chrome OS is based on Linux - and as such the Chrome browser on Chromebooks should contain the latest desktop Flash plug-in.

I do believe that sites such as Hulu will work with the Chromebook. Netflix also works. Also Google + hangouts should work with the webcam - although Chrome OS currently doesn't have Skype support.

One big difference is that Chromebooks cannot download any android apps from Google Play Store - but instead Chromebook has a large selection of Chrome plug-ins from the Chrome Store (GTV cannot do Chrome plug-ins currently). So with Chromebook the apps are in the cloud so-to-speak.

I just read another review of the new Samsung ARM Chromebook - and it mentions that the Chromebook does a nice job of streaming HD video.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  9. guest

guest Active Member

10. CatfishRivers

A couple of things that I've noticed. The new Samsung ARM Chromebook is generally getting excellent reviews from the press.

As explained in the following article (see link below) - Netflix is not yet working with the new Samsung ARM Chromebook. (Netflix currently works in the Intel versions of Chromebook). Google & Netflix are working on the Netflix version for the ARM Chromebook. Hulu works with the ARM Chromebook.

The ARM Chromebook supports Bluetooth.

The ARM Chromebook has no ethernet port - however a USB to ethernet adapter is supposed to work with Chrome OS.

The ARM Chromebook has a fast USB 3.0 port (not available on the Intel versions).

New Chromebook brings a little fragmentation to Chrome OS (Updated) — Mobile Technology News

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  11. CatfishRivers

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  12. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I am sure impressed with the demos I have seen. Right now I have a Windows laptop, Google TV, an Android tablet and several boxes for disc playing and internet streaming Google TV can't handle. If this catches on, it will certainly get my attention in a couple of years when it is time to replace the laptop and tablet.

13. CatfishRivers

Just came across this thread (see link below) in Google Groups about Amazon video no longer working with the Chromebook.

The Chromebook is based on Linux and uses a special Flash plug-in (PPAPI - the "pepper" plug-in) - so apparently Amazon thought that the Pepper Flash plug-in lacks DRM - so they are in essence "blocking" the Chromebook for the time being. According to the thread - Google and Amazon are trying to work on a solution - but no timeline for a fix is mentioned.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fr...ssue-and-get-troubleshooting-help/2QVE_i5R8YA

14. guest

guest Active Member

15. CatfishRivers

I wanted to mention that apparently there is a scaling issue when connecting the new Chromebook by HDMI to certain 720P televisions. This was reported on a detailed recent review of the new ARM Chromebook on Liliputing.com.

I subsequently started a thread about this issue in Google Groups. Apparently the scaling issue occurs on older 720P televisions with a resolution of 1024 x 768 pixels. Here is the link to that thread on Google Groups:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!searchin/chromebook-central/scaling$20issue/chromebook-central/7LGvUYi2PkM/OabVL4aJCE0J

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  16. guest

guest Active Member

ChromeBook Central - The Official Group For Chromebooks
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups=#!forum/chromebook-central

The page seems buggy on a Logitech Revue. You can't scroll down. You can move the page if you move the cursor to the righthand scrollbar. I've run into this problem before. It's a Google Groups issue. The new version of Gmail is affected, too. Which is why I use the old version of Gmail. The problem is occurring with computer users, too (at least the Gmail issue).

17. guest

guest Active Member

As you can see here, Online pdf converter , clicking "Choose File" will display the message "Files Not Supported" on a Google TV. Does anyone know if the Samsung Chromebook supports "Files"? If I purchase one, will I get the same message?

18. CatfishRivers

19. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Of course both Google TV and Samsung Chromebooks support files but neither supports all files. The site you linked concerns pdf or Portable Document Format, an Adobe product. There was a thread about a workaround for Google TV to view pdf files but I am not sure that is what you want to know about. Here is that thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/google-tv-faqs/1849-workaround-viewing-pdf-file.html

If interested, you can read about that file type at Wikipedia or many other sites online. Whether or not a Chromebook can execute that choose file command at that site is something I don't know for certain but I would think it can, somebody with a Chromebook would need to check to know for sure.

• Like Like x 2
  20. guest

guest Active Member

Thanks. I do use some apps in that store for reading PDF's. What concerns me is the message in the link that displays "Files Not Supported" when one clicks "Choose File" - with Google TV.