Quantcast

Google In 2014: Pocket Lint Predicts

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 25, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google in 2014: Pocket-lint predicts - Pocket-lint (click for full article)

by Jake Smith - Dec. 24, 2013

-- Google had a successful year, with more profits, more products, rising stock price and a stronghold on the mobile OS market worldwide, but 2014 is on the horizon, so what's in store for the next 12 months?

Here are our predictions for what to expect from Google in the new year. Please bear in mind that these are predictions based on everything we've seen and heard within the industry in 2013 - so don't be surprised if Google changes its course drastically or scraps some of its plans.

That said, let's speculate.

Read more at: http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/125982-google-in-2014-pocket-lint-predicts

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

Digitimes Research: Google turns to push Android-based TV products

by Tom Lo, DIGITIMES Research, Taipei [Thursday 26 December 2013]

-- Google TV, which was first launched in 2010, will no longer see any subsequent product release in the future as Google has already merged its Google TV team with the Android team, and the company will also turn to push TV products adopting Android operating system in the future with the Chromecast being one of the star products.

Google's experience in Google TV has helped the company achieve success with its Chromecast, but the company's roadmap for the TV industry may also need to be adjusted.

Digitimes Research believes that the Chromecast will generate demand for Android TV in the market and turn the Android TV system into a core entertainment device in families because of its smartphone connectivity. The Chromecast is also expected to boost adoption of Chrome browser and increase PC advertisements' presence in the TV advertising market.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Gee whiz, what does that mean?

4. CatfishRivers

I sure hope that Google and the OEMS make announcements at CES clarifying the direction of GTV/Android TV. I'll be ticked off if nothing much is announced until Google I/O in May. Things are pretty quiet in the GTV world right now - and currently I can kind of sense the GTV platform wasting away from a lack of news and attrition.

I think something is up and there is definitely news forthcoming. IMO at CES we will find out more about "Android TV" and several new Android TV devices will be announced. However my guess is that the Nexus TV announcement (if there will be one) won't come until Google I/O.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  5. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Lol!

This is why the GTV platform is dead. Millions of folk bought devices & TVs based on what seemed like a cord-cutters dream machine. Only to find they were totally dependent on Google & partners for content, updates and support. Ok, they could live w/that. Then...

Silence

6. Carlszone

At least w/Cable, Dish Network, Direct TV, and Verizion FIOs you know what yer getting and where yer at. As they price gouge ya they are constantly informing subscribers of what is to come. My HP support never stops offering upgrades and new drivers, etc. Sometimes I wish they would just shut up!

On any system where you are locked in the lack of any info is the death knoll for that system. Why should any consumer in their right mind wait for Google to condescend to inform them of the future of Google TV/Android TV, at their leisure.

Only the diehards of these devices will patiently wait while the internet moves swiftly forward. The only consolation is that there is no subscription fee. Any if ya think that being a subscriber might have helped, remember Webtv.

The point is moot anyway. Casting devices will make most streaming settop boxes redundant in the future. Casting is simpler and doesn't require you to buy a new device every year. As they develop these dongles could well be the future entertainment hubs for the Living room.

A Roku for $99.00 or a Chromecast for $35.00...

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  7. CatfishRivers

Carl I think you hit the nail on the head. This article kind of summarizes and paraphrases the Digi-Times article from my previous post:

Google?s TV Strategy Could Shift to Android | WebProNews

In summary they seem to be saying GTV is out and Chromecast (& Android TV will be in) - with Chromecast being favorable for Google's new direction of "Android TV". Ultimately Chromecast will spur some new Android TV devices controlled by mobile devices. And allow Google to have more ads on TV via the Chrome browser. Is that your take on it? I think that's where we're headed - the only thing is that thus far I believe Chromecast sales have hindered GTV sales (not helped it).

I think the big question is will the Android TV devices still be like GTV devices with just a name change and built-in casting ability? Or will it be more like a 'deluxe' Chromecast with access to the full Play Store? IMO the manufacturers going forward will have more freedom to customize their Android TV devices to differentiate them. So we likely will see different features & versions of Android TV devices.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
  8. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

How is Chromecast consistent with Google's new direction for Android TV? I guess it is sort of like Android TV or Google TV lite but it is for a limited subset of internet TV users, those that want to watch TV by accessing programming using a smart phone or tablet. I would think a bigger group wants to use a traditional remote or keyboard for that purpose. I realize I don't know what Android TV is going to be, if anything, but if it is going to be a full featured smart TV platform, it sure isn't Chromecast.

9. CatfishRivers

Yeah I actually would prefer a device that comes with it's own controller. Although I'm not really fond of the hand-held remotes with the tiny keyboard on one side. I'm not really fond of talking to my TV or waving at it either. Unfortunately there are a few of us 'dinosaurs' that would prefer a nice full-sized keyboard similar to the Logitech K700. However I doubt any of the new Android TV devices will come with a full-sized keyboard.

I think generally speaking the articles are inferring that because Chromecast sells well (and GTV doesn't sell well) - that Chromecast will be Google's stepping stone (to get their foot in the door) to the living room with "Android TV". At $35 the Chromecast is what will draw attention to Google's living room ambitions - and ultimately the consumer interest in Chromecast will foster more devices and interest (awareness) in "Android TV".

Last edited: Dec 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Carlszone

Exactly! Chris, if your device is run by your tablet w/Bluetooth support, then the remote or keyboard is only a matter of choice. The younger gen will opt for the text syle keyboard remote. Us older folks can use either a full keyboard or a K700 like mini. W/Bluetooth compatibility the tablet, laptop, computer or smartphone will determine yer available options not the casting device. And the internet advantages of GTV will be made obsolete.

And keep in mind we haven't even scratched the surface of the future potential of casting devices. We may be limiting our thinking to current Set top box restrictions. All set top boxes so far have been limited by proprietary software. Your computer or tablets should open the door to more content. So far we've been talking about Android TV. But if this takes off be ready to be swamped w/as many casting options as their are smartphones on the market today.

Just saying...

Carl