Quantcast

Google, HiSense Partner For Sub-$100 Google TV Set-Top Box

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Aug 24, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google, Hisense Partner for Sub-$100 Google TV Set-top Box | PCWorld (click for full article)

By Agam Shah, IDG News Aug 24, 2012 3:40 pm

"Google is adding more partners to the Google TV universe, with Chinese company Hisense preparing a Google TV set-top box that will become available later this year for under US$100, according to both companies.

Google so far has partnered with Vizio, Samsung, Sony and LG, which are putting Google TV software in TVs and set-top boxes. The Hisense device's closest competitor will be Vizio's $99 Co-Star Google TV set-top box, which has already sold out on Vizio's website.

"Hisense adds even more innovation to the growing list of Google TV-powered devices available around the world. We're working closely with partners like Hisense to bring services from Google and multiple other providers to your TV with an experience tailored for the living room," said Mickey Kim, Google TV partner manager, in an email statement.

Hisense will show the device at the IFA trade show, which will be held in Berlin Aug. 31 to Sept. 5.

Google TV is based on the Android OS and tries to solve the problem of blending classic TV and Internet functionality under a single interface, which has proven to be a challenge. Through Google TV users can search for movies on broadcast TV, DVR or the Internet, and combined listings are shown under a single search result. Users also have access to Android applications and 100,000 movies and TV content through Google's online store.

Google has also said that more partners will be offering Google TV devices in the coming months. Some Google TV products are expected to be shown at IFA.

The new devices run the second generation of the Google TV software, which was revised after the predecessor software was considered a failure. Devices like Logitech's Revue set-top box and Sony's Internet TV with the first-generation software did not find wide acceptance. Google is seeking a reboot with the new Google TV software, and already has more partners than it did for the first-generation software."

2. CatfishRivers

This is good news. I had never heard of the Hisense company - but I looked on their web site and they have a nice line of televisions. They have products in Walmart, Costco and HHGregg. A low priced GTV box in Walmart and Costco could really give a lift to the GTV platform.

Hisense

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

This is great news, I will go read about Hisense now. I don't know which Chinese company makes the Vizio Co-Star but until I hear differently, I will consider it a very good chance it is exactly the same company using the same facility to make the Hisense Google TV box. If Hisense actually owns facilities to manufacture its products, I would bet on it being the same.

4. tinsnow

tinsnow Member

my order goes in if they have dts support

5. ChrisG8

I am pretty sure that isn't happening at $100 and you are going to have to go with a Blu-ray/Google TV device and even then, make sure it has the file support you need.

6. CatfishRivers

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  7. crawlernight11

crawlernight11 New Member

I think this business transact that Google is doing with Hisense is truly innovative. Without getting directly involved in the TV set-up box business, it is making sure that it is the one of the main business leader in that field. Like everybody, I am quite new to this Hisense products and technology. But after referring the link, I checked out and found that the company is indeed innovative and has classy products. Now I am just waiting for the product launch.

8. CatfishRivers

Samsung to showcase Google TV device at IFA? | AndroidOS.in (click for full article)

"If Hisense's all new $99 Google TV device Pulse wasn't enough for you, Samsung is also expected to announce a Google TV device at the IFA trade fair. According to a report in Korean publication ETnews, Samsung has completed the development of a new Google TV device and it could be released very soon in the South Korean market.

If Samsung is indeed planning to release a Google TV device, IFA is the best place to showcase it.

ETnews further states that the device will be running on Google TV 2.0. It also points out that company also made a version with Google TV 1.0 earlier, but it was not released in the retail market. ETnews is probably talking about the same models that we saw at CES 2011, Samsung even issued a small press release talking about it, but did not officially release it.

However at this year's CES, Google announced that Samsung will indeed be launching Google TV hardware."

Last edited: Aug 28, 2012
  9. CatfishRivers

Google TV Devices Race to the Bottom - Streaming Media Magazine (click for full article)

New units hit the market offering lower prices, but pared-down features. Will we see a Google TV price war for the holidays?
    By Tim Siglin
    Posted on August 29, 2012

"When Logitech stepped away from the Google TV platform about a year ago, with its CEO famously calling both the Google TV 1.0 and 2.0 specifications "beta software," the only company left standing with a Google TV product was Sony. Yet even Sony's NSZ-GT1, which included a Blu-ray Disc player, looked long-in-the-tooth compared to Roku, Boxee, and other "streaming only" units.

Today, however, the competition looks a lit more diverse, even if the products all look similar.

Joining Sony is Vizio, with HiSense about to join the fray.

Yet there's still a question about optimal price points, form factors, and basic functionality, three factors facing today's crop of Google TV units:

Price point. The original Sony NSZ-GT1 sold for $299.99 and the Logitech Revue sold for $199.99, although you can buy the units today for $158 and $140, respectively, on Amazon.

By comparison, the 2012 crop of Google TV units sell between $99.99 (Vizio Co-Star) and $199.00 (the Sony NSZ-GS7). Pricing is settling towards the $100 range, perhaps because Roku and other streaming only boxes use that as their high-end price point.

Will pricing go lower? Yes, if the history of streaming boxes repeats itself. Bare bones Google TV boxes with limited functionality and hardware interfaces could drop to $79.99 by this holiday season, spurred by increased competition."

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  10. CatfishRivers

Hisense Pulse with Google TV set-top box hands-on (video) -- Engadget (click for full article)

By Sarah Silbert posted Aug 31st 2012 5:44AM

"Hisense announced its low-cost set-top box, the Pulse with Google TV, a few days ago, and though pricing remains vague at "less than $100," we got a chance to see the device in action at IFA today. The Android-based Pulse supports content in 1080p, and includes HDMI, USB and Ethernet connections, along with WiFi, and the double-sided remote communicates with the square-shaped box via Bluetooth 4.0. Being a Google-branded product, it also gives users access to compatible apps from Google Play.

The remote includes dedicated buttons for YouTube, Netflix, the web and Live TV, and there's a small touchpad in addition to the standard remote-control keys. It's quite difficult to navigate with this hardware: the touchpad is too small, and it doesn't support scrolling, which makes it incredibly inconvenient for viewing web pages. On the flip side of the remote, there's a full QWERTY keyboard. A booth rep told us the Pulse will drop in September, though that contradicts information from this week's press release. In any case, you can take a closer look in our video hands-on after the break."

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  11. savagemike

savagemike New Member

What I'm surprised engadget completely missed in their quick look at the Hisense unit at IFA (but which is evident in their video and pictures) is that this unit has a microphone input on the remote. I don't think Vizio has this feature. Even with Sony I think you need to get the $300 blue-ray player to get audio input. The $200 stand along Google TV unit from them doesn't have it either I think.
    Of course - this all begs the question about how well that audio input works.
    It also leaves open the question of audio input working using an Android phone or tablet as input - for any of the devices from any of the makers. And also, how well that works of course.

Having recently purchased a Nexus 7 I am thrilled with its ability to understand voice. I'm quite interested in applying this power to run a Google TV box rather than struggling with a remote to control complex usage like a browser. At least as much as possible anyway.

• Like Like x 2
  12. ChrisG8

Someone pointed out that possibility in another thread on this player but I didn't know it has been established as a fact. If it includes voice control that works as well as your Nexus 7 and does everything else as well as the Co-Star, I would say this is the new king of the $100 Google TV boxes.

13. CatfishRivers

Rumor: Hisense to Develop Google TV for Global Market | Marbridge Consulting - China Television News (click for full article)

Xinhuanet, 9/24/12

"Chinese consumer electronics manufacturer Hisense (600060.SH) has assembled an R&D team based in Qingdao (Shandong Province), Canada, and the United States to develop a Google TV product for the global market to be released as soon as possible, according to a source within the company.

Hisense signed a cooperation letter of intent with Google in late 2011. Google China president John Liu and Hisense chairman Zhou Houjian jointly announced in July that the two companies were in cooperation to develop Google smart TV products, and on August 22, Google VP of product development Mario Queiroz visited Hisense to make arrangements.

Hisense unveiled its Hisense Plus Google TV set-top box (STB) in late August at the Internationale Funkausstellung (IFA) in Berlin."

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  14. CatfishRivers

Hisense Targets Holidays with Google TV Box, New Panels, Shows 4K TV : Page 1 of 2 : Dealerscope
    (click for full article)

Hisense Targets Holidays with Google TV Box, New Panels; Shows 4K TV

By Nancy Klosek - October 18th, 2012

"Hisense, the Chinese electronics company which two years ago expanded beyond OEM manufacturing to launch its own brand in the U.S., will step up its product line deployment stateside for the holiday sales season with the availability of the Hisense Pulse with Google TV set-top box that allows viewers to both "smarten" their legacy flat-panel TVs and access any of 2,000 TV-optimized apps from the Google Play store, via a minimally layered interface.

The $99 device, packaged with a dual-sided remote featuring a touchpad on one side and a QWERTY keyboard on the other, uses the Google Chrome web browser. It features built-in Wi-Fi along with other connectivity options including HDMI input and output, USB and Ethernet. It is being sold initially through Amazon.com, said Peter Erdman , Hisense USA vice president; the company is also in discussions with other dealers.

Hisense makes flat panels ranging in size from 24 to 65 inches, and will refresh its total lineup, come the 2013 International CES. Meanwhile, it will roll out two additional designs - its flagships - soon; they were showcased in New York City Thursday in their 55-inch versions, along with the Google TV box."

Last edited: Oct 18, 2012
  15. CatfishRivers

I found this part of the article interesting:

"Also highlighted in the New York demos was a 50-inch 4K active-3D UHD (Ultra High Definition) TV, Model XT880, which will begin shipping in China next month. The set, which will eventually be produced in 58- and 65-inch screen sizes, combines an ARM dual-core microprocessor with the Android Ice Cream Sandwich OS.

It also features a detachable camera that supports facial recognition, voice recognition/control, gesture control and Skype functions. A U.S. introduction timetable is still undetermined, said Chris Porter , product manager, but he added that the 65-inch version would be shown at CES and that it would be production-ready by the end of March.

He noted that the image quality and feature set of the TV would make it suitable for possible sale through the CEDIA channel. At CES, Hisense also plans to show a fully integrated Google TV solution."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nice to hear that Hisense will be showing a fully integrated GTV television at CES.

The 65" super-duper ice-cream sandwich TV sounds pretty amazing. I have my doubts that it will launch in the USA though. IMO China is the primary target for that TV.

16. ChrisG8

If the Pulse turns out to be a great Google TV box, sells like hotcakes and Hisense concentrates on Google TV, that is what I hope happens. Any smart TV products, not including Google TV probably won't help our cause any. I am not sure these silly names, like Revue, Co-Star and Pulse are helping the cause but marketing is a funny business, sometimes silly names work.

17. atlas

atlas New Member

This is fantastic news. I was ready to jump on the RAVI stick (Android OS) . But now I'm thinking to wait and see what these manufacturers have to offer in the coming months.

Sent from my HP Touchpad - CM9 ICS using Tapatalk 2

18. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  19. CatfishRivers

I've read in articles that the USA launch was scheduled for "mid-November" and also "for the Holidays". So my guess is that it will be released around Thanksgiving. The day after Thanksgiving is "Black Friday" and the official start of the holiday shopping season. -:)

• Like Like x 2
  20. CatfishRivers

As was mentioned previously - Hisense now has a web page up for their forthcoming Pulse Google TV box. On their web page you can sign-up for email notification - to be notified when the Pulse becomes available:

Hisense Pulse with Google TV

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012