Quantcast

Google Glass: Our Lives Are Not Reality TV

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Mar 4, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

A thought provoking article:

Google Glass: Our Lives Are Not Reality TV – ReadWrite (click for full article)

By Brian Proffitt

"Even as many in the geek-o-sphere drool in anticipation for the onset of Google Glass, some technologists are starting to question the very real privacy issues entangled with the use of these wearable computers and cameras.

Predictably, the first concerns raised about Google Glass were about the user's privacy: If I am transmitting all of this data to Google, it is going to know even more about me than ever! Or so the reasoning goes. I have to admit that this has been bugging me, but since I carry around an Android phone already, I'm pretty sure Google pretty much knows whatever it wants to know about me.

But then there's the other half of the privacy problem, which not many in the community have yet voiced: What about the privacy of the people these devices are looking at?"

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

I read that the developer models are being offered for $1500. Who's going to buy these things? IMO Google Glass could turn out to be a bigger flop than the Nexus Q.

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Google Glass is pretty cool technology in my opinion and there is going to be some segment that will love it. As far as being a mainstream product, I can't envision that.

4. polardude1983

polardude1983 New Member

It could catch on and it will get cheaper. Did people ever think anything else that has caught on didn't ever think it will. Look at clothing styles or mobile gaming. There are lots of things.

5. CatfishRivers

Google: control your TV with your Glass(es) (click for full article)

by John Davidson - March 25, 2013

"Google has filed a patent application for its controversial Project Glass eyeglasses, suggesting the search giant wants to use the glasses not just as a heads up display for life, but as a universal remote as well. And I do mean universal.

Any device that you can look at, Google wants to use Glass to control. Or, if not control directly, then at least provide information on how the wearer can control it him- or herself."

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. CatfishRivers

Eric Schmidt Is Right, Using Google Glass Is Weird (click for full article)

by Mike Butcher - April 26, 2013

"Google Chairman Eric Schmidt has said he finds having to talk to Google Glass out loud to control the interface "the weirdest thing" and that there are going to be "places where Google Glass are inappropriate." My own experience of trying out the device, even briefly, confirmed to me that this product simply will not become a mass-market device any time soon. Indeed, if it has any future at all it will be either in disappearing inside normal glasses, or solely used by industry. I can't see it becoming as ubiquitous as the smartphone in any way, and here's why."

7. CatfishRivers

Looks like Google Glass is in trouble. There might be some small niche market for it in certain business segments such as the medical field. But as a mainstream consumer device it's gonna flip, flop and die:

Google Glass future clouded as some early believers lose faith GulfNews.com

Google reportedly planning to shutter its Glass Basecamps 9to5Google

Last edited: Nov 22, 2014
  8. CatfishRivers