Quantcast

Google Could Launch 'Nexus TV' Android Set-Top Next Year, Says Report

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 6, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google could launch 'Nexus TV' Android set-top next year, says report | The Verge (click for full article)

by Dante D'Orazio - Dec. 6, 2013

-- Google isn't giving up its living room ambitions. The company is said to be working on a "Nexus TV" device that will run Android, stream video from services like Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube, and play a selection of video games. The rumor comes from The Information's Amir Efrati, who cites an anonymous Google employee. The device is said to be ready for launch as soon as the first half of next year, according to the report.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

The description "aggressively priced" sounds good to me, assuming that means very low priced. Who knows what this is or if it will ever see the light of day, I sure don't.

3. CatfishRivers

If the device is ready for launch in the first half of 2014 - then I'm hoping that more information will be released at CES in January. My stance for a long time has been that Google would eventually launch a Nexus TV box. IMO the only thing a bit concerning from a consumer standpoint - would be how will the other GTV OEMs take the news of a Nexus TV box? In a sense the other GTV OEMs would more or less be competing with a Nexus android TV box - and Google could market the hardware at near break-even because of the other related revenue streams. It would seem hard for the other OEMs to compete with this.....

4. Travel

Travel Active Member

There wan't much information on this. The descriptions didn't even mention specs, browser, using Play Store apps, Jelly Bean or KitKat updates. I mean, a new box would have to be able to everything the current GoogleTV boxes do, plus a lot more for a new box to be any good. It sounded like they were comparing it to the Amazon box, which is quite limited and unimpressive.

5. CatfishRivers

I agree that if the Amazon box is just another Roku clone that wouldn't be impressive. Yes apparently Amazon had something similar to a Roku clone box ready to release before this Christmas - but they decided to hold off until next year (Spring 2014 was the last estimate I heard) - to try and make their box better and add some more features to distinguish it from the other boxes already on the market. Amazon puts out some nice hardware with their Kindle Fire tablets and their e- readers - so I'll reserve judgement on the Amazon box until it's actually released (if it ever is).

As for as the Google Nexus android TV box - earlier unreleased versions came with a built-in webcam and supported Google hangouts, also gaming was emphasized as one of the features.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2013
  6. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I'd rather have aggressively featured vs. aggressively priced :)

But given what google has done with the Nexus phone/tablet line with regard to pricing vs. features, I am very hopefully.

All I have to say is "Goggle, what took you so very very long" ?

• Like Like x 2
  7. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Ha, yes features and hardware are most important. Whether it is priced dirt cheap or just a great bargain doesn't matter to me. I know Google wouldn't bother with a $300 Android streaming box at this point, so it is going to be affordable if Google decides to go forward with it.

8. CatfishRivers

In case some of you missed it - there were several articles from back in July about an android TV box Google was working on. Google even showed it off privately at the 2013 CES (in a back room). That particular device was spearheaded by Andy Rubin - and it had a webcam with Google Hangouts support. Since the inception of the prototype box Rubin left android and Google released Chromecast. So no telling what changes Google might have made to the box since then. The articles are contained in the following thread:

http://www.googletvforum.org/forum/...-what-s-next-google-equipped-living-room.html

9. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, we're running out of time for the Sony box to update "by the end of the year," and with Hisense coming out with a new, enhanced chip box, I'm not as optimistic that Sony will actually be updating the GS7/8.

I'm now thinking that Sony also may have decided that they'll need upgraded hardware and a new box to support the KitKat update and beyond. Or, they'll just get out.

A new "super box" by Google with "loss leader" pricing would suddenly make things a lot less complicated.

10. CatfishRivers

Exactly one month to go until CES begins on January 7th. I expect that with the recent release of the new Armada 1500 Plus chip we'll hear about several new GTV devices at CES. That's my hope anyway. If Sony announces nothing about GTV at CES - then IMO that means they are exiting the GTV platform. Of course there's always the possibility that sometime at a later date - if GTV becomes a proven sales winner - some of the OEMs might reconsider and jump back in. But that would be a ways off (if it happens at all).

Home - 2014 International CES, January 7-10

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  11. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

The Hisense box doesn't appear to be much more powerful than the current GS7/8. In the press release there still was no mention of Hulu Plus. Better than nothing I suppose. Pivos is also coming out with something for the TV.

It does appear to be a bit bleaker as regards Sony. I still think they will upgrade things but if they don't then they may very well just get out, especially if Google will be releasing their own hardware.

Philip

12. CatfishRivers

It could be that if Google releases a Nexus TV box - it will not include HDMI In. The previous prototype reported on was said to be more of a 'pure streaming' device along the lines of a Roku. And the recent report said the Nexus TV under development doesn't support "live TV streams".

The pure streaming devices such as Roku & Apple TV are simpler to use and they sell better. Also by not including HDMI IN Google would have less of a chance of upsetting the GTV OEMs. So what we could very well see from Google are three coexisting devices for TVs 1) a pure streaming Nexus TV device 2) 'traditional' GTV devices with HDMI IN sold by the OEMs and 3) Chromecast.

IMO Google will include the built-in webcam and a focus on gaming to differentiate the Nexus TV device. It will be interesting to see how it all unfolds....

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  13. guest

guest Active Member

If Sony (and others) aren't going to update, there's going to be a huge, installed userbase that's going to need alternatives. Right now, all these devices are updateable, but the process is an "underground" one. That needs to change and become more mainstream - and reliable.

14. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

If there is no HDMI in, I won't be buying. It fails the WAF if you have to switch inputs. HDMI in has always been a distinguishing feature of GTV as very few other options offer that.

15. CatfishRivers

I suppose it's possible that there could be HDMI IN but no live TV integration. Then it would probably support PIP (between apps) similar to what the Vizio Co-Star LT does. But seeing as how Hisense just signed on for their new upcoming Pulse Pro GTV box - and several others will probably be announced at CES next month - I don't envision the Nexus TV too closely resembling current GTV models in terms of functionality. I would say based on the reports live TV integration is definitely looking like it will be left out, I think a web browser is also questionable.

16. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

for "integration", I am not looking for anything more than "overlay"... as for web browser, if I don't have a large selection of the Play store available to me on the box, I'm not sure why I'd find it valuable. There are already plenty of far more "closed" boxes available (ie. here are the 10 apps we wrote for you and included, hope you didn't want anything else).

I simply want a "nexus" version of the existing concept... with a CPU/memory/OS-revision bump to "flagship" levels.

and I want a pony too :)

• Like Like x 4
  17. CatfishRivers

OK here is a summary of what has been reported about the rumored Nexus TV box:

1) will come with webcam & Google Hangouts support

2) focuses on android gaming support

3) no live TV integration

4) comes with touchscreen controller

5) comes with internet streaming apps such as Netflix

Google to launch Nexus set-top box with focus on gaming in 2014: Report

http://www.itproportal.com/2013/12/09/rumor-google-working-on-set-top-box-for-2014-launch/

Every indication is that the Nexus TV box is NOT a super-duper GTV model. But rather it's something quite different.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  18. pmcd

pmcd Active Member

Oh great, another gaming system. I can see 1) and 4) being neat but this does not sound like a giant leap forward from anything. Perhaps Google is trying to move away from Android, given the legal hassles it seems to be having with it, and towards a Chrome based OS box.

It all sounds very mundane. The XBox sounds more interesting.

They have a great platform to build on now. Why move in a completely different direction yet again. There are only so many beta Google products one can put up with.

Philip

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  19. zim2dive

zim2dive Active Member

I'm 100% Google on the phone/tablet side (Nexus 5, Nexus 7), but if they ditch GTV, they are going to have a serious credibility issue for me in this product segment if they take a big change in direction (ie. effectively killing the stand-along GTV segment). Going towards game is "good".. but all depends.. ie. I think the console is dying (EDIT: or certainly not expanding with room for a major new player) .. ie. $50 games... the genie has already escaped the bottle on the idea of $5-$10 mobile games being mirrored the to big screen.

As for webcam, hangouts, etc... look no futher than the millions Cisco wasted on their Cius(??) product: R.I.P. Cisco Cius--Another Tablet Bites the Dust | PCWorld and Google's own failed "Q". I don't want to social-network from my TV.

Dang.. I really wanted to see Google take GTV to the level it could have been (ie. decent CPU/memory/OS).

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  20. mrspock

mrspock Active Member

They should have integrated Webcam/Skype/Google Hangout support with Google TV. Since Google has its hands in so many pots, they just seem to loose interest in a lot of their products and fall by he way side, rather like giving a child so many toys, they quickly loose interest in a lot of them and are never played with again.