Quantcast

Google Chromecast's Biggest fan? Netflix Founder Reed Hastings

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 22, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Chromecast Biggest Fan Is Netflix CEO Reed Hastings | Variety (click for full article)

The CEO touts Google's cheap TV companion as 'the all-time great stocking-stuffer'

by Todd Spangler - Nov. 22, 2013

-- The Netflix CEO is especially bullish on Google's Chromecast - touting the cheap adapter as "the all-time great stocking-stuffer" in an exclusive interview with Variety.

Netflix was the critical launch partner for the $35 Chromecast dongle, which went on sale in late July and sold out initial inventory in less than a day. A big enticement was the limited-time offer of three free months of Netflix with a Chromecast purchase (a promo for which Google footed the bill).

Hastings expects even bigger things from the little gizmo. He wanted to work with Google because he sees an opportunity to create a new category: a low-cost device that turns a regular TV into a smart TV coupled with "this radical, beautiful proposition that there is no remote control."

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  2. CatfishRivers

From the Variety article:

** And Google is running TV ads as part of a bigger marketing campaign for the device as the holiday shopping season gets under way. **

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, well, well, what do you know. Google is spending money on TV ads for Chromecast during the all-important holiday shopping season.

Has Google ever spent a dime on promoting GTV? I don't think so. I think that there is a very real threat that Chromecast becomes Google's "darling" at the expense of Google's "ugly-duckling" GTV.

I think people are going to have a hard time keeping a straight face when they utter the Google company line that Chromecast doesn't compete with GTV.........

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

There is some small market that might choose Chromecast rather than Google TV but I think the products are very different. If all that is needed is what Chromecast does, stream internet video chosen using a smart phone or tablet, I would say buy Chromecast. Google TV can be used for that as well with one of the various remote control apps that turn a smart phone or tablet into a remote but Chromecast does it for less money and might do it better, at least right now. I like both devices but really only use Google TV, I don't want to use a smart phone or tablet to select internet streaming video but a lot of people do and a pretty good number of them should like Chromecast.

I still think for anybody that can deal with the clunky nature of using Google TV and want the things it does, there is no product as good, I fall in that group but the group isn't huge. For Google TV to succeed it must overcome the clunky operation issue, advertising won't change that. There is a huge market for simple and limited, Chromecast, Roku and Apple TV are all doing a better job of serving that market than Google TV does. I am surprised more people don't prefer Google TV to the competition but I don't think Chromecast is a big problem for Google TV, both products can co-exist if Google TV can somehow gain some momentum. I would like to see Chromecast functionality built into Google TV just to see if that gives it a substantial market share boost, I won't use that ability personally.

4. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Anyone know if the K700 KB can be used w/Chromecast? Also, once we get the update and the CC features are added any idea how it would work? I mean will it be in the form of an app or part of Settings like the Voice Search?

5. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Chromecast doesn't have a user interface where you would use a keyboard. All searching/prompting/selecting is done on your phone/tablet/PC and the Chromecast just displays the video. This is supposed to be an advantage in that you can browse for what you want to watch next while still playing something else, but not so handy if you are watching the program through to the end and then want to make a choice of what to watch next as a group.

• Like Like x 2
  6. CatfishRivers

I agree the products are different - and of course 'some' will still prefer a GTV or use both GTV & Chromecast. I'm not claiming that GTV & Chromecast are competing point for point in terms of functionality. What I'm trying to say is that GTV & Chromecast have overlapping functionality (mainly streaming content to a TV) - and Chromecast will compete with GTV for sales dollars - in the end detracting some sales away from GTV units.

I've already seen several posters in the Google+ GTV Community say they have given up on GTV and are pleased with Chromecast. And new users that might be primarily interested in streaming Netflix, YouTube, Hulu Plus, HBOGO, etc to the TV - might of previously considered buying a GTV - but now will choose a Chromecast for only $35. So to me that represents competing for sales dollars and detracting from GTV sales.

Then there is also the "competing" aspect of app developers choosing to spend their time and resources on the platform that sells better and has the bigger user base. (Currently the Chromecast is the number one selling item on the Amazon Electronics Bestseller List). Already Chromecast has HBOGO and Hulu Plus - something that GTV has never been able to pull off.

But I expect this is just the tip of the iceberg - as the Chromecast SDK will be released soon - this means we'll be seeing many third party apps on Chromecast soon. The content and functionality of Chromecast will soon take a big leap forward - while GTV appears stuck in the mud in terms of app development. Probably soon there will be more native apps for Chromecast than there are for GTV. I expect soon after the Chromecast SDK is released there will be an app for streaming content from the hard drive with Chromecast. All of this means that at $35 a pop the Chromcast becomes even more of a threat to GTV - syphoning off would-be GTV sales dollars. Sure there will always be GTV enthusiasts that would still want a GTV - but currently that market is a small niche market.

Lastly as Chromecast is a big sales hit and GTV is a dud - you see Google putting more resources into Chromecast - such as spending ad dollars to promote Chromecast for the holidays. Heck not only does Google NOT advertise GTV - they even stopped updating the GTV Blog, the GTV YouTube Channel, the GTV Facebook Page, the GTV Google + community. IMO it's pathetic really.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  7. jonw747

jonw747 Well-Known Member

Yep, you guys are both right. I think the coup de grace for Google TV may be the Android sticks. They're real close to doing what enthusiasts need, and they're cheap. Chromecast can compete on price so it's viable, but I don't think anyone wants to put a lot of H/W in a streaming box and try to sell it against cheaper, less powerful products in such a price sensitive market.