Quantcast

Google Chairman Says Android Winning Mobile War With Apple

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Dec 13, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Chairman Says Android Winning Mobile War With Apple: Tech - Bloomberg (click for full article)

By Brian Womack - Dec 12, 2012 12:01 AM ET

"Google Inc. (GOOG)'s Android is extending its lead over Apple Inc. (AAPL) in the mobile-software market at a rate that compares with Microsoft Corp. (MSFT)'s expansion in desktop software in the 1990s, Google Chairman Eric Schmidt said.

Booming demand for Android-based smartphones is helping Google add share at the expense of other software providers, Schmidt said yesterday in an interview at Bloomberg's headquarters in New York. Android snared 72 percent of the market in the third quarter, while Apple had 14 percent, according to Gartner Inc. Customers are activating more than 1.3 million Android devices a day, Schmidt said.

"This is a huge platform change; this is of the scale of 20 years ago -- Microsoft versus Apple," he said. "We're winning that war pretty clearly now."

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Former top Apple fanboy now rocks all Android devices | Crave - CNET (click for full article)

Former Mac evangelist Guy Kawasaki says he's purged all iOS devices from his life.

by Eric Mack December 12, 2012 2:22 PM PST

"We already know Apple co-founder Steve Wozniak uses both iOS and Android devices, but this week we learned that the former evangelist who helped create the original "cult of Mac" has left iOS behind and gone all Android.

It's been decades since Guy Kawasaki preached the gospel of Apple in the '80s, but only about a year since he jumped ship as an iPhone owner for an Android phone with 4G LTE -- the Droid Razr Maxx. Kawasaki was quoted in ReadWrite saying he no longer uses any Apple mobile products:

"I fell in love with Android on the smartphone, and then I got a Nexus 7 and started using Android on the tablet as well... To me the great irony is that Apple's slogan was 'Think Different,' but today if you think different you're looking at Android."

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Interesting and surprising to me. I don't see this disparity between Android and Apple in real life. Thinking about the people I know, immediate family, friends, other relatives, I find Apple products being used by most. Smart phones particularly, my son has an Android but both daughters, girlfriend, granddaughters, stepdaughter, all have iPhones, my real life experience must be about 10 - 1 in favor of Apple. I don't have a smart phone myself. The tablet split among the same people does favor Android but not at those percentages.

4. tomcrown1

tomcrown1 Member

Their is a lot of folks on gingerbread phones. Why because these phones are free.

What is the score when it comes to phones $399 and up?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk