Quantcast

Google Celebrates 25 Billion Play Store Downloads With 25 Cent Sale

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Sep 26, 2012.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google celebrates 25 billion Play Store downloads with 25 cent sale - Liliputing (click for full article)

"Google will run 5-day, 25 cent sale in the Google Play Store starting this week. The promotion celebrates the fact that users have downloaded 25 billion apps, songs, books, and other digital items from the Play Store.

The company also says the Play Store now has 675 thousand apps and games, which is pretty close to the 700,000 figure Apple likes to throw around for its App Store these days.

Google's 25 cent sale will include apps and games from Gameloft, Electronic Arts, Rovio, and others. You can find a list of 25 cent apps at the Play Store.

The promotion will also include "special collections" including 25 movies you "must own", 25 banned books, 25 albums, and 25 magazines.

While apps and games will be available for just 25 pennies each, all Google is promising for books, music, magazines and movies is that they'll be available at "special prices."

Last edited: Sep 26, 2012
  2. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

What's good in the Play Store Sale? (click for full article)

Sep. 27, 2012 (11:03 am) By: Russell Holly

"In celebration of surpassing 25 billion apps downloaded by in the Google Play Store, Android users will be able to take advantage of a wealth of content available at a discount for the next few days. This sale is similar to the one Google ran when the company breached the 10 billion download mark, but now includes content from the new services that have been added since that last sale. Some of these sales include 25 apps at 25 cents, and collections of digital content across their movies, books, and music collections.

If you've never purchased any digital content from Google, this sale is a good reason to check it out. The "25 albums that changed the world" collection includes everything from Daft Punk's Discovery album and Snoop Dogg's Doggystyle, to Patsy Cline and John Coltrane collections. The "25 banned books" collection is a set of 99 cent books ranging from Albert Einstein to The Werewolf of Paris.

Google has also put together a collection of movies at prices that are moderately discounted from the usual pricing, which includes new titles like Battleship as well as popular comedies like Superbad and Pineapple Express. The collection also includes some family friendly titles like the Lorax, Hugo, and TinTin. Most of the movie deals only apply to rentals, leaving the full price for anyone who wants to buy and own the films.

All of the content purchased from the Google Play Store is available to watch on anything connected to your Google Account, which includes most web browsers and all Android devices that are Play Store certified.

The star of the sale is, of course, the 25 cent apps that are available through the weekend. There are plenty of games in the sale, like Angry Birds Space Premium and Symphony of Eternity. There are a couple of great productivity apps as well, especially OfficeSuite Pro 6 which is usually prices at $15."

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  4. ChrisG8

I purchased the OfficeSuite Pro 6+ for a quarter during this sale, tried to install it today and there is no OfficeSuite Pro 6+ in the PlayStore now, although it does show I own OfficeSuite Pro 7 which is incompatible with Google TV. I have had the older version installed on a different box for the last year or so but needed it on another now. Is there anyway to do this?

5. ChrisG8

The Amazon App Store indicates 7 is compatible with my Google TV boxes but of course I can't download it from Amazon without paying for it.

6. ChrisG8

I contacted the developer Mobile Systems, Inc. about the issue, I received contact information for Google so I contacted Google and Google responded with contact information for Mobile Systems, Inc. If there is a solution for this, it isn't worth pursuing, I can live with the software running on one Google TV box. I have one spreadsheet, my checking account balance is handled by this software and the file is saved in the cloud so it would be accessible by the another box if I could just install the software. I might start using the software for something else eventually, it actually works OK and apparently results in files saved in Excel format although I have never accessed one of the files with Excel to see how well it works.