Quantcast

Google buys Sage TV

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by CKBlack007, Jun 18, 2011.

1. CKBlack007

CKBlack007 New Member

I was about to write off my Revue unit thinking it was abandoned, but I found this tidbit this evening:

Google Aquires Sage TV -
    (this is my first post so I am blocked in the editor for posting an actual hyperlink. you'll have to google it)

From the article
    "While there's no word on exactly what Google has planned, Sage TV has long included DVR and place shifting features that the Google TV product lacked."

Though this does not fix my blocked network shows issue. This plus the appearance of the unit in the android market makes me hopeful some third-party solutions and platform enhancements are on the horizon.

2. Rickaren

Rickaren New Member Staff Member

Google purchases SageTV
    Written by Dan N.
    Saturday, 18 June 2011 21:30
    [​IMG]Wow, I did not see this one coming. SageTV sent out an e-mail to its customers explaining how SageTV has been purchased by Google. It looks like the store has been shut down already, but existing customers will continue to receive support from SageTV. As a SageTV customers myself, I'm not sure how I feel about this, SageTV was pretty unique since it supported so many file formates, broadcasting various TV sources real time to any location using the extremely energy efficient extenders, while also supporting DVD/Blu-Ray libraries.

Best case scenario, Google replaces Google TV with a SageTV based system (a SageTV set top box is not that far fetched), and everyone wins, or Google has something else planned, which doesn't offer much to SageTV customers. Hopefully this won't become another
    Meedio fiasco (Yahoo purchased the Meedio software several years ago, only to rename it and shut it down).

From their site:

We're thrilled to announce that SageTV has been acquired by Google.
    Since 2002, we've worked to change the TV viewing experience by building cutting-edge software and technology that allows you to create and control your media center from multiple devices. And as the media landscape continues to evolve, we think it's time our vision of entertainment management grows as well. By teaming up with Google, we believe our ideas will reach an even larger audience of users worldwide on many different products, platforms and services.
    We've seen how Google's developer efforts are designed to stimulate innovation across the web, and as developers have played a core role in the success of SageTV, we think our shared vision for open technology will help us advance the online entertainment experience. We look forward to joining Google, and while we don't have anything specific to announce at this time, we encourage interested developers to email:
    sagetv-dev@google.com
    Full speed ahead!
    The SageTV Team

The e-mail:
    Greetings,
    We're writing to let you know that SageTV has been acquired by Google.
    Since 2002, we've worked to change the TV viewing experience by building cutting-edge software and technology that allows you to create and control your media center from multiple devices. And as the media landscape continues to evolve, we think it's time our vision of entertainment management grows as well. By teaming up with Google, we believe our ideas will reach an even larger audience of users worldwide on many different products, platforms and services.
    We've seen how Google's developer efforts are designed to stimulate innovation across the web, and as developers have played a core role in the success of SageTV, we think our shared vision for open technology will help us advance the online entertainment experience.

Although we will be shutting down the SageTV store, we will continue to support existing users. We'd also like to continue our dialog with the SageTV community by keeping the forum open for discussion.
    We really appreciate everyone's support over the years, and we hope you'll stay tuned as we embark on new projects at Google.
    The SageTV team
    SOURCE

3. Rickaren

Google acquires Sage TV, DVR + placeshifting to come to Google TV?
    • Tech Buzz Examiner
    • June 18, 2011
    $GoogleTV_0.jpg

Google TV hasn't exactly been lighting up living rooms with Internet-enhanced television goodness, but an influx of fresh software might be in store. Google has just acquired Sage TV, which has been producing its own proprietary DVR software since 2002.

Sage TV's software runs on Mac OS X, Windows and Linux. Google TV doesn't have DVR or placeshifting functionality, which Sage TV provides (placeshifting = Slingbox, basically).

No financial terms have been announced. So far, it's only been announced via a post on Sage TV's website.
    However, although Sage TV has been reasonably successful on its own, the company said that "By teaming up with Google, we believe our ideas will reach an even larger audience of users worldwide on many different products, platforms and services."

4. Maconsultant

Maconsultant Member

If you think the big networks are blocking Google TV now just wait until (If) they enable placeshifting and commercial skip as well as DVR functionality. That would be awsome..! They should do away with the ROVI guide and use Sages..

Can't wait to see how this pans out.. I just hope it doesn't take years to develop..

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

5. Rickaren

Google buys DVR company SageTV: Google TV upgrade coming?

June 18, 2011

[​IMG]

Industry watchers received a shock Saturday night with news that Google has purchased DVR software and set-top box company SageTV. The announcement came via an email sent to SageTV customers and a near-identical statement posted to the company’s website, which has ceased all functionality aside from a landing page that explains the acquisition.

“[A]s the media landscape continues to evolve, we think it’s time our vision of entertainment management grows as well,” said SageTV in a statement. “By teaming up with Google, we believe our ideas will reach an even larger audience of users worldwide on many different products, platforms and services.”

SageTV goes on to explain that it believes Google’s “developer efforts…stimulate innovation across the web.” The two companies also have a “shared vision for open technology,” which will help SageTV “advance the online entertainment experience.”

In its email to customers, SageTV explained that its store has been entirely shut down, but customer support for its DVR products “will continue.” The SageTV forum will remain up and running, the company said.
    Neither the price Google paid for SageTV nor any other details about the sale have yet been announced.
    Started in 2002, SageTV has produced versatile DVR software that works with Mac OS X, Windows and Linux operating systems. The software’s fexibility makes it possible to turn almost any computer with a TV tuner card into the primary hub of a home entertainment system.
    SageTV software accepts nearly any audio, video or photo file format tossed its way, so a machine loaded with SageTV becomes one of the most powerful consumer products available. Some popular features included Internet video and Netflix support; commercial auto-skip and clean, easy navigation. And since the company has also produced set-top boxes that can play media directly from a USB drive, SageTV became a hit amongst the tech-savvy crowd.

Google’s purchase of SageTV ignites curiosity as to whether its technology (and dev team) will be used to revitalize Google TV, an Internet TV software that has been panned as an “underwhelming” product.
    We’ve been hearing for a while now that Google TV would get a much-needed upgrade. We didn’t realize, however, that it would come from this neck of the woods. That said, it makes sense for Google TV to get a dose of placeshifting functionality, which the integration of SageTV would inject into the product. Here’s to hoping Google doesn’t squander something good.

Watch a video about SageTV software:

SOURCE

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2014
  6. Zippster

Zippster New Member

Long time Sage user here and LOVE it, hope Google does something good with it and just not strip and kill.

7. trallyus

trallyus Active Member

Zippster,
    I am a sage user as well and hope the same thing as you do. I hate to have to switch but I may have to at the end of this month since I read that is when the guide data from zap2it ends I think.

8. AlaskanOgre

AlaskanOgre New Member

I'm going to have to check out SageTV now!

9. Rickaren

10. Zippster

Zippster New Member

Little late to the party, for at least what was known as Sage, whats next? Time will tell.

11. Rickaren

12. daddypants

daddypants New Member

i really hope they incorporate this into the GTV. my LG smart tv has the option of plugging in a hdd into the usb port and recording what is being watched, but i don't use that tv near as much as my google tvs. this would be a huge addition to the GTV and would be really handy for grabbing web content as well as regular dvr stuff. i'm eager for all this new shwag, hope the updates come soon.