Quantcast

Google Basically Dropped Google TV

Discussion in 'Google TV News' started by dgstorm, Jan 6, 2015.

1. dgstorm

dgstorm Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

It looks like Google TV is pretty much "dead" as a development platform now. Google just announced that most of their Google TV devices will not be compatible with Android TV and will not be getting the OS at all. While there are a few that might get it, Android TV seems out of reach for most of them. Here's their statement,

Of course, for many proud owners of Google TV, the fact that it won't receive Android TV may not matter much to you. The device will still do what it was designed to do and can run current apps that already worked on it. Even with this official statement from Google detailing their intention to no longer support Google TV, that won't make the device suddenly stop working.

Enjoy it while you can... the future belongs to Android TV now though. Perhaps they can "wow" us with impressive new Android TV devices...

Source: Google TV on Google+

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Interesting. It does say that a small subset of Google TV devices will be updated to Android TV. Hmm I wonder which ones....

3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

I would think the LG TVs and Sony NSZ-GU1 will be updated to Android TV if any models will be. An Android TV box running 5.0 and fully utilizing an HDMI input with merged guide for traditional TV and internet TV is my dream smart TV product. Running a bunch of tablet and phone apps from a smart TV box means little or nothing to me.

4. NAPABFH

NAPABFH New Member

The thing is I don't think the apps will ever update to the new versions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk