Quantcast

Google-Backed Machinima Plans For Online TV Service

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Jul 19, 2013.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google-backed Machinima plans for online TV service | Reuters (click for full article)

by Ronald Grover - July 19, 2013

"(Reuters) - Google-backed Machinima has become the latest Internet company to try to launch a TV-like online video network, and has begun talks with Hollywood studios to produce full-length programs or possibly become investors, several sources told Reuters recently.

Machinima, which caters mainly to so-called fanboys or 18- to-34-year-old men whose interests often include videogames and comics, wants to raise $80 million to create an online video subscription service, according to two executives with knowledge of the situation.

Machinima has held talks with potential partners or investors including Time Warner Inc's Warner Brothers studio and Viacom Inc's Paramount Pictures, said three people with knowledge of the meetings."

2. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

I believe Machinima puts out quality videos - some of their web series are very professionally done.

However would enough people be willing to pay for a Machinima service - when they also have quite a bit of Machinima content available for free on YouTube? Even if Machinima put out longer videos in length (more like traditional TV programs as opposed to shorter web series) - how could they compete with Netflix where you can get so much content for only $8/mo?

I think it will appeal to a very specialized audience.....

Last edited: Jul 19, 2013
  3. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

Good questions and I am sure I wouldn't pay anything for their service but I am not the intended market. They may already know there is some market but there can be no way to know if a market large enough to sustain such a service exists. My guess is no, it won't ever get off the ground or if it does, it will crash and burn just beyond the runway.