Quantcast

Google Attacks Apple On Another Front -- iTunes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by CatfishRivers, Nov 15, 2011.

1. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Google Attacks Apple on Another Front -- iTunes | Reuters (click for full article)

"The war between Google and Apple is moving to a new frontier -- music. Google is expected to unveil an online music store on Wednesday in its latest assault on the Cupertino, Calif.-based company.

The tech giants have already tussled over Google's Android technology and the mobile phone market. Both also want to take the television industry by storm and wring as much money as possible out of video streaming.

But this is another battle all together.

The new Google music service represents a direct challenge to Apple and its iTunes Store, the dominant digital music purchasing service, and a cornerstone to Apple's resurgence under late co-founder Steve Jobs."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  2. CatfishRivers

Google Music debuts, letting users share tunes via Google+ | Digital Media - CNET News
    (click for full article)

"Google today launched Google Music, letting consumers tap into a service that was limited to 1 million customers since the beta was launched this spring.

The service takes advantage of Google search technology as well as its ability to tap the tastes of a user's friends to recommend songs. With three of the four major record labels now participating in the service, users will also be able to buy music.

"Google Music is about artists and their music and new ways to connect them to their fans," said Jamie Rosenberg, director of digital content for Google."

Last edited: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Hefe

Hefe New Member

Why is everything framed as an "attack" or some kind of war? It's a company getting into a market to do business.

4. CatfishRivers

Because sensationalism attracts more readers. Apple and Google have a lot of intense followers/believers - and the 'rivalry' draws a lot of attention.

5. tobias

tobias New Member

See Commodore vs. Atari, XBox vs. Playstation, Stones vs. the Beatles for that matter. :) And right now the two comapnies competing in the "media for the end-consumer" space are Google and Apple. With followers, not users...

6. CatfishRivers

Using Google's new music store with Apple hardware — Apple News, Tips and Reviews
    (click for full article)

"Once the Google Music store in the Android Market went live, I made my first Android Market music purchase. Not from an Android device, and not from a Chrome browser, but from Safari running on my iPhone. Then, I decided to use all of the Apple products I love, but replace iTunes Match and iTunes Music Store with Google Music. Here's how it went."

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011