Quantcast

Google Asks Manufacturers to Delay Google TV Announcements

Discussion in 'Google TV General Discussion' started by ChrisG8, Nov 10, 2013.

1. ChrisG8

ChrisG8 Well-Known Member

2. ChrisG8

Here is the relevant quote from the above link:

3. CatfishRivers

CatfishRivers Well-Known Member

Chris that news from the article seems strangely similar to another article that I recall reading before the 2012 CES - and the article I read back then was around the time of the GTV Honeycomb update.

I guess Google needs to fix some rough edges after major GTV OS upgrades. I noticed a mistake in the article too. The auther states that CES is next month. That's not true. CES begins on January 7th, 2014:

Home - 2014 International CES, January 7-10

Could the author just be re-hashing an old article from several years ago? I did see the date on the article was current.

Hopefully Google's so-called "fix" will not entail re-doing the interface for the umpteenth time. The issues go more deeper than that. For instance Google has removed the GTV Spotlight section with the GTV Jellybean update (because most of those sites use Flash). And most of the apps with Jellybean require sideloading. I think those are 2 of the major issues that need to be addressed for GTV to sell better. Content is King and simplicity (no sideloading) will be big factors to help GTV sell better. Interface shminterface - enough already Google with *^*@* (bleep) interface -;) Let's get down to the 'meat & potatoes' of things that really matter -:)

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. CatfishRivers

5. ulises1954

ulises1954 Member

If this information is true, it seems we'll be waiting for years and more years!

Unfortunately, SONY just seem to interest their XPeria moviles, because they has sold millions, and the NSZ-GS7/GS8 Users are the last in line ... What a shame!

6. ChrisG8

It does sound like a mistaken article now, I thought it might have been related to Jelly Bean issues that are being addressed but it is old news and means nothing. It made no sense when I read it and now I know why.

7. Carlszone

Carlszone Well-Known Member

Ive been noticing this happening more often. Sites are reprinting old news and sticking new dates on them. But if you look closely you will find references that clue ya to when the article was actually written.

8. CatfishRivers

I know the article was a reprint of old news - but come to think of it - if I was the CEO of an electronic company I wouldn't want to launch a new GTV device with GTV in it's current state. Not even with the Jellybean update. I would wait for more apps to be designed especially for GTV. And this would also incude web apps - so a newly designed GTV Spotlight section provides good content that works with the android Chrome browser. Also Chromecast hasn't been enabled with the GTV Jellybean update yet. Hopefully in the coming months these issues will improve on GTV. If so - then I think we will see new GTV devices by Spring 2014.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Carlszone

As usual your insights are spot on!

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind posting old articles. Especially now that GTV News has a new home. But it is making it harder to decipher the old from the new.

An added thought: I see the heated discussions on this forum about the pros & cons of Google's approach to the future of what is now known as Android TV. I just don't understand the bad blood arising from the diverging points of view. I hope folks will not take either the success or failure of this platform personally and will continue to respect the views & opinions of others.

Civility goes a long way...

Thanks

Carl

• Like Like x 2
  10. Travel

Travel Active Member

Well, as long as you brought it up, aggressively characterizing, but without commitment on the substance of the issue, yourself, then: do you think that the advent of Chromecast will will have a positive effect with regard to apps developers being more aware of GoogleTV and therefore more inclined to tweak their apps' manifests to be "made for GoogleTV." Or, do you see the advent of Chromecast as a negative, where apps developers, because they will making apps for Chromecast, "won't bother with" making apps that are "made for GoogleTV" itself?

Surely, this is a civilized request.

11. Carlszone

Quite, but highly irrelevant to this thread...

Sorry....

Carl

12. Travel

Travel Active Member

It was you who brought-up the irrelevancy to this thread.

13. Carlszone

Travel, just cut it out...

14. Travel

Travel Active Member

Uh, excuse me? Why don't you "cut it out." It seems it was you who's being disruptive with that obvious reference to a discussion on another thread. I'm pretty sure that cheap shots aren't really needed on the forum.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  15. Carlszone

I certainly hate the way this upgrade is being rolled out. With various units being given conflicting info from their respect customer service reps. It makes Google TV less like a single platform and more like an odd array of pieced together hardware from very undependable electronics companies.

Too much confusion...

Carl

16. galfert

galfert Active Member

I suggest we abandon this thread. The title is misleading now that we have established that it was a bad website spinning old information. Sure there is plenty to talk about, but let's do it on a relevant thread. If I was a mod I'd close it.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4

• Like Like x 4
  17. Carlszone

Not a bad idea. You don't have to be a Mod to offer good advice. I just wanted to leave this thread on subject as I have a traveler following me to extend an argument that is well past its prime.

Thank You

Carl

18. Travel

Travel Active Member

And, not only did you start it with irrelevant snark, but you're keeping it up.